child citizenship - update

Old Jan 29th 2013, 10:54 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default child citizenship - update

In reference to this thread, which asked a valid question, to which the answer is not all that clear on the DIAC website:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=785353

- No, the child doesn't have to wait until age 18 to become a citizen

- If the child is aged under 16, has permanent residence + an Australian parent, child can normally be granted Australian citizenship without needing to meet a residence requirement. Apply on form 1290.

- If child is aged 16 or over, child are normally expected (and allowed) to apply independently of parents and meet the normal requirements as individuals

- Why wasn't the child included on the application when the parents became citizens? (it shouldn't going to stop the child getting citizenship now - it's just unusual)

- If the child is a U.S. citizen, then child will need to be aware of these U.S. related issues and obligations once older (turning 18, if not sooner).
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Non-Re...SC_Obligations
Old Feb 12th 2013, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of
Default Re: child citizenship - update

OK I've read through the Citizenship website and form 1300t and form 1290, but I still have a question for you experienced folk.

We are eligible to apply for citizenship 10 August 2013. Our daughter turns 16 on 30 June 2013. She will have to take the citizenship test. She will have to apply on form 1290. It appears she can only apply with paper.

Question: Should we all make application on paper and send in together? Or should adults and under 16 children apply online and mail her's in. It would be inconvenient to have to go twice to interviews, testing, etc.

Regarding the National Police Checking Service in Australia - does it "expire"? In other words would it be too early to apply for this whilst we're at the police station this weekend (Feb 16) getting our fingerprints done for the FBI check (we were in USA for more than 90 days)?

Thanks

Last edited by tiger222; Feb 12th 2013 at 10:45 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 13th 2013, 12:31 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiger222
OK I've read through the Citizenship website and form 1300t and form 1290, but I still have a question for you experienced folk.

We are eligible to apply for citizenship 10 August 2013. Our daughter turns 16 on 30 June 2013. She will have to take the citizenship test. She will have to apply on form 1290. It appears she can only apply with paper.

Question: Should we all make application on paper and send in together? Or should adults and under 16 children apply online and mail her's in. It would be inconvenient to have to go twice to interviews, testing, etc.

Regarding the National Police Checking Service in Australia - does it "expire"? In other words would it be too early to apply for this whilst we're at the police station this weekend (Feb 16) getting our fingerprints done for the FBI check (we were in USA for more than 90 days)?

Thanks
the australian police check is requested by Diac, not you. they have access to Crimtrac and they can get results in a manner of minutes! that's why there are those whose applications are approved shortly after passing the citizenship test.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of
Smile Re: child citizenship - update

Originally Posted by commonwealth
the australian police check is requested by Diac, not you. they have access to Crimtrac and they can get results in a manner of minutes! that's why there are those whose applications are approved shortly after passing the citizenship test.
That's new information for me. In reading the forms, it sounded like we needed the "original results" at an appointment or with application.

Thanks for that.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 2:14 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

you need only fill out and sign off on the crimtrac police consent form which is available in the citiz website
Old Feb 13th 2013, 4:15 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

We consisted of four adults and one 17 year old when we did our applications. We applied online, 17 year old applied on paper and we ended up with three different dates (this was for Parramatta though, which is a very busy centre).

The 17 year old didn't have to do the test, he only had to do the interview where he was asked to give three benefits and three responsibilities of citizenship.

(We didn't know this until he turned up for his interview)
Old Mar 17th 2013, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

lolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dreamy
We consisted of four adults and one 17 year old when we did our applications. We applied online, 17 year old applied on paper and we ended up with three different dates (this was for Parramatta though, which is a very busy centre).

The 17 year old didn't have to do the test, he only had to do the interview where he was asked to give three benefits and three responsibilities of citizenship.

(We didn't know this until he turned up for his interview)

oh no ..... did he pass, what did he say ..... my daughter will just seize up i'm sure
Old Mar 17th 2013, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

lolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks

hi

we had to do ours online and add my 14 year old son to my husbands application.

but for my 17 yr old daughter we HAD to send off a paper application.

luckily they called me as they wanted exta documents (although we had sent off everything required) and i mentioned my daughter and she said she had her application there and she would make sure our interviews were all together.

Also on the aplication forms you fill in it asks who you want to do your ceremony with - this must give them an indication of 'your family' when they organise your interview dates
i know not everyone is seen together, we're in bunbury and luckily all ours are
Old Mar 17th 2013, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lolylew
hi

luckily they called me as they wanted exta documents (although we had sent off everything required) and i mentioned my daughter and she said she had her application there and she would make sure our interviews were all together.

Also on the aplication forms you fill in it asks who you want to do your ceremony with - this must give them an indication of 'your family' when they organise your interview dates
i know not everyone is seen together, we're in bunbury and luckily all ours are
Thanks for that! I'll be sure to include all names for the Ceremony so hopefully they'll bring us together.

Are you just waiting on your citizenship ceremony now?
Old Mar 17th 2013, 11:57 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lolylew
hi

Not sure if you're aware, but 16 and 17 year olds have to apply the same way as adults. They don't have to do the test, but note the following from the Australian Citizenship Instructions re. what to expect at interview:

Applicants between the ages of 16 and 18 should be given the opportunity at interview to demonstrate that they understand the nature of their application, have an adequate knowledge of the responsibilities and privileges of citizenship; and that they possess a basic knowledge of the English language.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
Not sure if you're aware, but 16 and 17 year olds have to apply the same way as adults. They don't have to do the test, but note the following from the Australian Citizenship Instructions re. what to expect at interview:

Applicants between the ages of 16 and 18 should be given the opportunity at interview to demonstrate that they understand the nature of their application, have an adequate knowledge of the responsibilities and privileges of citizenship; and that they possess a basic knowledge of the English language.
Yes, I have read that she will have to apply on her own - on paper - not available online (for an additional fee, of course). She will have to attend the interview and I thought the test as well. I was hoping that she would be kept together with us for the interview appointment and citizenship ceremony.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 4:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, I have read that she will have to apply on her own - on paper - not available online (for an additional fee, of course). She will have to attend the interview and I thought the test as well. I was hoping that she would be kept together with us for the interview appointment and citizenship ceremony.
Not sure about being kept together as all our appointment times are different but are on the same day.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

OH and I applied online, DD who is 17 has applied on paper, and has her interview on 5th April, which I'm going to postpone until school hols, as she is Y12 and can't afford to miss lessons. OH and I had our tests on different dates, but we have put DD down as someone who we want to have the ceremony with, so we can at least all go to that one together.

I'm still waiting for approval- OH had his through in less than a week- mine has been 3 weeks so far, and nothing......
Old Mar 18th 2013, 4:38 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
OH and I applied online, DD who is 17 has applied on paper, and has her interview on 5th April, which I'm going to postpone until school hols, as she is Y12 and can't afford to miss lessons.
Any time you try to postpone it runs the risk of a longer delay, file getting lost, etc. It's only for a few hours, can't she make up the missing time?
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

No- she has missed a week through illness, and really can't afford to lose any more time. I postponed the date once from the middle of her exams (this week) so it should be ok to do so again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.