Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

'Child care co-ordinator' - Anybody know???

Wikiposts

'Child care co-ordinator' - Anybody know???

Old Jan 30th 2006, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute
Smile 'Child care co-ordinator' - Anybody know???

Hi there - myself and my partner are planning to emigrate to Brisbane (hopefully!) in the near future. We could really do with some help...
Our situation is as follows: i am a senior teaching assistant at an infant school in england - my job description is that i am responsible for managing a team of ten teaching assistants in our school. In addition to this i am also studying a foundation degree in educare and early childhood which i finish in May. I was planning to progress onto the honours year of the degree combined with a registered teacher training programme (RTP). However, this degree is NOT recognised in Australia at present.
We have discovered another role on the SOL list which is 'child care co-ordinator'. We have researched and researched but cannot find any sort of job description for this role anywhere. Does anybody know anyone who has emigrated as a child care co-ordinator? or what this job entails in Oz?
Cheers, Sam.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 6:17 am
K&M
Just Joined

K&M is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 'Child care co-ordinator' - Anybody know???

Hi Sam
Here is the job description for Child care co-ordinator. I got it from: https://secure.liveinaustralia.com/s...pations.asp#25

Child Care Co-ordinator
General: Directs the activities of a child care centre or service.

Tasks Include:
directs and supervises child care workers in providing care and supervision for young children
develops and implements programs to enhance the physical, social, emotional and intellectual development of young children
provides care for children in before-school, after-school, day and vacation care centres
manages physical facilities and ensures all buildings and equipment are maintained
ensures the centre is a safe area for all children, staff and visitors
maintains records and accounts for the centre
complies with government requirements and standards that may effect funding and continued service
liaises with parents
recruits staff and coordinates professional development
develops and implements policies on a broad range of issues

You have to get your skills assessed by VETASSESS, and they only look at what degree you have and whether it is relevant (not job experience at all). I have my honours degree in psychology (South Africa) and they found that acceptable.
Job experience is then assessed by DIMIA (and by the relevant state if you are going for SIR which I am).

Hope this helps.
Megan
Old Jan 30th 2006, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 'Child care co-ordinator' - Anybody know???

Originally Posted by K&M
Hi Sam
Here is the job description for Child care co-ordinator. I got it from: https://secure.liveinaustralia.com/s...pations.asp#25

Child Care Co-ordinator
General: Directs the activities of a child care centre or service.

Tasks Include:
directs and supervises child care workers in providing care and supervision for young children
develops and implements programs to enhance the physical, social, emotional and intellectual development of young children
provides care for children in before-school, after-school, day and vacation care centres
manages physical facilities and ensures all buildings and equipment are maintained
ensures the centre is a safe area for all children, staff and visitors
maintains records and accounts for the centre
complies with government requirements and standards that may effect funding and continued service
liaises with parents
recruits staff and coordinates professional development
develops and implements policies on a broad range of issues

You have to get your skills assessed by VETASSESS, and they only look at what degree you have and whether it is relevant (not job experience at all). I have my honours degree in psychology (South Africa) and they found that acceptable.
Job experience is then assessed by DIMIA (and by the relevant state if you are going for SIR which I am).

Hope this helps.
Megan

Thanks a lot Megan thats a great help
Old Jan 30th 2006, 8:47 am
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Child care co-ordinator' - Anybody know???

Originally Posted by sammyg
Hi there - myself and my partner are planning to emigrate to Brisbane (hopefully!) in the near future. We could really do with some help...
Our situation is as follows: i am a senior teaching assistant at an infant school in england - my job description is that i am responsible for managing a team of ten teaching assistants in our school. In addition to this i am also studying a foundation degree in educare and early childhood which i finish in May. I was planning to progress onto the honours year of the degree combined with a registered teacher training programme (RTP). However, this degree is NOT recognised in Australia at present.
We have discovered another role on the SOL list which is 'child care co-ordinator'. We have researched and researched but cannot find any sort of job description for this role anywhere. Does anybody know anyone who has emigrated as a child care co-ordinator? or what this job entails in Oz?
Cheers, Sam.
it's just what the aussies call a nursery nurse