British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   checking on work references??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/checking-work-references-307453/)

margoo Jun 8th 2005 7:20 am

checking on work references???

Hello guys I would need your advice please on this one.

I (skilled independent, may 04, medical sent last August) have had my police checks requested recently. Only police checks, i.e. no further information re employer, work experience or so was requested. As my current employer (an agency) is extremely unprofessional (...) I have insisted on a very detailed written reference by them in first place, to avoid the Immigration Department contacting them to verify. I basically wrote the reference myself and they only signed it.

Now I have serious trouble with my agency, i.e. my current post will come to an end and it doesn't seem as if they are able to find me another position. I have contacted another agency, which can offer me a much better prospect. But if I change agency now and Adelaide calls my old agency to verify their reference, I'm done! So, I have only the choice of changing my agency now or losing my job and waiting uneployed until my visa comes through.

So I think I could:
- lose my job
- contact my CO, explain the situation and and ask whether they intend to contact my employer (probably not a good idea, don't want to plant an idea...)
- change agency and hope for the best...

Do you guys have experience at what stage Adelaide usually requests further information? Is it likely that they still call them or would they do so before they request medicals/police checks?

Cheers! Margoo

bridiej Jun 8th 2005 7:27 am

Re: checking on work references???

Might be worth letting your CO know the score, but I wouldnt ask them whether they're going to check refs as it sounds dodgy!

loidy Jun 8th 2005 8:45 am

we are june 04 136 apps and have been asked for further evidence as husband is self employed. they have only asked for proof though from dec 02- june 04, so my thinking is that they only want evidence up until the time you applied and not up to present day, hope this helps, good luck in sorting it out, every step seems to bring new headaches doesn't it?? x loidy

harky01 Jun 8th 2005 9:48 am

i have same problem we are june 16th 04,co asked for more info for recent work experience from when app went in june 04 for 4 years prvious,strange i thought as i am not claiming for recent work history points,only thing i can think is i am the the same self employed from about 1999 anyway sent about 20 references so we shall se how we go as everything else is done

justmd Jun 8th 2005 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by loidy
we are june 04 136 apps and have been asked for further evidence as husband is self employed. they have only asked for proof though from dec 02- june 04, so my thinking is that they only want evidence up until the time you applied and not up to present day, hope this helps, good luck in sorting it out, every step seems to bring new headaches doesn't it?? x loidy

Yeah it was the same for me, I'm self employed and my CO asked for more references but only up to app date of June 04, I'm also 136 skilled independant. Just

lacey21 Jun 8th 2005 6:03 pm

I have been self employed from Nov 04 will they ask me for anything other than an accountants letter?
Do they ask for references from where I order my stuff?
I am going as a sponsored designated area 136 and I am hoping to apply in November when my 12 months working is up.

What do they ask for defacto stuff also if anyone can advise. This is the only two things stopping me from applying.
cheers for any info
Lace

loidy Jun 8th 2005 6:11 pm

they ask for any evidence to prove that you are doing the job you are applying under,can include; bank statements, tax bills, newspaper ads, invoices from suppliers, invoices to clients etc.... x loidy

lacey21 Jun 8th 2005 6:21 pm

MMMmm might find this a bit tricky! I have only just opened the business and I don't have a business account becasue it it too small. I pay my stamp, and the tax bills haven't come yet becaue it hasn't been ope that long. No ads, I have got a business card though and invoices from my suppliers.

Thanks for that loidy I am gunna have to think about this one I think lol
cheers Lace x

Rob Morton-Jone Jun 8th 2005 6:32 pm

Let your CO know of your circumstances. They will advise you.

Originally Posted by margoo
Hello guys I would need your advice please on this one.

I (skilled independent, may 04, medical sent last August) have had my police checks requested recently. Only police checks, i.e. no further information re employer, work experience or so was requested. As my current employer (an agency) is extremely unprofessional (...) I have insisted on a very detailed written reference by them in first place, to avoid the Immigration Department contacting them to verify. I basically wrote the reference myself and they only signed it.

Now I have serious trouble with my agency, i.e. my current post will come to an end and it doesn't seem as if they are able to find me another position. I have contacted another agency, which can offer me a much better prospect. But if I change agency now and Adelaide calls my old agency to verify their reference, I'm done! So, I have only the choice of changing my agency now or losing my job and waiting uneployed until my visa comes through.

So I think I could:
- lose my job
- contact my CO, explain the situation and and ask whether they intend to contact my employer (probably not a good idea, don't want to plant an idea...)
- change agency and hope for the best...

Do you guys have experience at what stage Adelaide usually requests further information? Is it likely that they still call them or would they do so before they request medicals/police checks?

Cheers! Margoo

loidy Jun 8th 2005 6:52 pm

lacey, get some ads in the local paper, it doesnt cost that much, keep any receipts from suppliers etc..., get happy customers to write what work you have done for them, can you not open an account at all, we opened ours with a very small amount!!!!! just start gathering evidence now so that you are not stumped when you apply!! good luck x loidy ps what do you do (being nosy)

lacey21 Jun 8th 2005 7:09 pm

Hi loidy,
I am a mobile Hairdresser. I will put an ad in the paper and then cut it out and see where I can go from there. The trouble with a business bank account is that you have to pay to open one and use it for transactions all the time (You also have to have takings lol) most of mine go back into the business on lotions and potions lol.
thanks for the tips though I will have a moud of paper work for them when the time comes lol
cheers
Lace x

justmd Jun 8th 2005 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by lacey21
Hi loidy,
I am a mobile Hairdresser. I will put an ad in the paper and then cut it out and see where I can go from there. The trouble with a business bank account is that you have to pay to open one and use it for transactions all the time (You also have to have takings lol) most of mine go back into the business on lotions and potions lol.
thanks for the tips though I will have a moud of paper work for them when the time comes lol
cheers
Lace x

I also had to prove a defacto relationship and was advised by my agent to supply invitations with both names on, old boarding passes for flights showing that we sat together, utility bills with both names on, basically any document that shows you live together and have had a lasting relationship and do stuff together, also we had statements written by friends to say we were a couple and for how long. With regards to being a hairdresser I would guess that the more info you can supply the better, but if you worked for someone else before then their references are equally as important.
Hope this helps Just

harky01 Jun 8th 2005 8:11 pm

I have been self employed from Nov 04 will they ask me for anything other than an accountants letter?
Do they ask for references from where I order my stuff?
I am going as a sponsored designated area 136 and I am hoping to apply in November when my 12 months working is up.

What do they ask for defacto stuff also if anyone can advise. This is the only two things stopping me from applying.
cheers for any info
Lace

i was only claiming 12 out of the 18 months and supplied accounts, reference and suppliers letters but they are still asking for more evidence to support experience in occupation,i may be different as my tra is different from my recent work experience and as i said i do not and i am not claiming for those extra points as we are 138 skilled sponsored i have hade to go back to customers as far as 99 and get refs! to prove i have been and are competent at job

lacey21 Jun 8th 2005 10:28 pm

Thanks for that Just, I am compiling stuff now for that. Arr but what if your business is only young. Mine is less than 12 months old and when I apply it will be just 12 months. I can show them some stuff but others are impossible. Also I am not applying through the TRA this is just for work experience ( the 12 out of 18 month thing)
confusing isn't it lol
lace :)

harky01 Jun 9th 2005 6:25 am

Thanks for that Just, I am compiling stuff now for that. Arr but what if your business is only young. Mine is less than 12 months old and when I apply it will be just 12 months. I can show them some stuff but others are impossible. Also I am not applying through the TRA this is just for work experience ( the 12 out of 18 month thing)
confusing isn't it lol
lace :)

you need to check on the tra list of requirments for the type of skills you are applying for,certain types of skill need diferent lengths of experience and training,my tra was for telecomunications and i needed seven years experience in that field,so you need to show as much info as possible.hope this helps as its only info i got from my agent