British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Changing employer on a 119 visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/changing-employer-119-visa-629904/)

kar-kier Sep 9th 2009 11:36 am

Changing employer on a 119 visa

A friend of mine is on a 119 visa and was wondering if it is possible to switch employer, or will she have to stay with the same on?

Thanks

Kareena

Susan Wareham McGrath Sep 9th 2009 11:03 pm

Re: Changing employer on a 119 visa

Originally Posted by kar-kier (Post 7916788)
A friend of mine is on a 119 visa and was wondering if it is possible to switch employer, or will she have to stay with the same on?

Thanks

Kareena

Hi kar-kier

Without knowing your friends exact circumstances, in general terms, an employee on a subclass 119 visa has an obligation to remain employed in the nominated position in the regional area for at least two years; and the employer must make sure that all relevant workplace laws and award conditions are met. DIAC may cancel the visa if the employee leaves the position.

I suggest that your friend discusses her situation with DIAC so she can make an informed decision; for example if her employer is breaching Australian laws, DIAC's perspective would be different than if you friend was just bored and wanted a change.

Best regards
Susan

kar-kier Sep 10th 2009 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Susan Wareham McGrath (Post 7918436)
Hi kar-kier

Without knowing your friends exact circumstances, in general terms, an employee on a subclass 119 visa has an obligation to remain employed in the nominated position in the regional area for at least two years; and the employer must make sure that all relevant workplace laws and award conditions are met. DIAC may cancel the visa if the employee leaves the position.

I suggest that your friend discusses her situation with DIAC so she can make an informed decision; for example if her employer is breaching Australian laws, DIAC's perspective would be different than if you friend was just bored and wanted a change.

Best regards
Susan

Thanks!

They are wanting to continue in the same role, in the same regional area, just with a different employer. Not sure if that helps?

Kareena

JAJ Sep 10th 2009 1:58 am

Originally Posted by kar-kier (Post 7918639)
Thanks!

They are wanting to continue in the same role, in the same regional area, just with a different employer. Not sure if that helps?

Kareena

Hi
You probably need professional level assistance to explore this topic further.