Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Changes to skilled visa points requirements

Changes to skilled visa points requirements

Old May 7th 2002, 12:30 am
George Lombard

Default Changes to skilled visa points requirements

Dear All,

Just a few observations.

First, the increase in points affects only skilled independent applicants (onshore
and offshore) and the very minor category of NZ skilled migrants. Therefore those
choosing to accept sponsorship through a relative might feel more secure about going
down the sponsorship route now, despite the additional hassle, paperwork and other
requirements.

Second, the announcement has taken the unusual step of only applying to applications
lodged from 8 May 2002. This is probably contrary to the law, however I understand
that Canberra obtained legal advice that it could be done, as as it is a substantial
concession to what the law requires (points to be awarded at date of assessment) it
is unlikely that anyone will challenge it. But the bottom line is that anyone with an
application for skills assessment in processing (and who has not reached the stage of
making a visa application) should review their points, and possibly seek State or
Territory nomination.

Third, this is possibly a temporary processing measure in light of the current volume
of applications, and may be reviewed again as early as July. It is particularly worth
noting that most overseas students applying as onshore graduates will need to do well
in English or obtain bonus/spouse/etc points if they are over 30.

Cheers

George Lombard

--
www.austimmigration.com.au

Old May 8th 2002, 12:00 am
George Lombard

Default Re: Changes to skilled visa points requirements

Hi Alan,

>These are good comments George, but I can't see that the points situation will be
    >reviewed as early as this coming July - that would diminish the number of new
    >skilled visa applications for less than eight weeks.

I understand that the decision to increase the points requirement for only two major
categories of skilled migrant was made in the area responsible for overall program
numbers and is probably therefore just a lever to ease demand so that the various
logjams can be dealt with. On 1 July it will be a new program year, and as you note,
there will be considerably more places to fill, although many of those will be from
overseas students (and I wonder how many of those will move to PhDs from their
Masters courses in search of the additional 5 points).

>More likely in my humble view is a tweaking of the points system, perhaps
to
    >increase the number of skills on the MODL for which 10 points would then be
    >available irrespective of whether or not the applicant has a job offer.

All speculation. I think any tweaking of the values would be resisted, although it
isn't too long ago that anyone over 35 only got 15 points for age.

Cheers

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au

Old May 8th 2002, 2:30 am
Phil

Sorry i may be a bit stupid here but i dont quite understand what you are saying, Are
you saying that we will need more than 25 points to get a pr for NZ? We are going for
a work defferal visa is this affected?

Emily

"George Lombard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Dear All,
    >
    > Just a few observations.
    >
    > First, the increase in points affects only skilled independent applicants (onshore
    > and offshore) and the very minor category of NZ skilled migrants. Therefore those
    > choosing to accept sponsorship through a relative might
feel
    > more secure about going down the sponsorship route now, despite the additional
    > hassle, paperwork and other requirements.
    >
    > Second, the announcement has taken the unusual step of only applying to
    > applications lodged from 8 May 2002. This is probably contrary to the
law,
    > however I understand that Canberra obtained legal advice that it could be done, as
    > as it is a substantial concession to what the law requires
(points
    > to be awarded at date of assessment) it is unlikely that anyone will challenge it.
    > But the bottom line is that anyone with an application for skills assessment in
    > processing (and who has not reached the stage of
making
    > a visa application) should review their points, and possibly seek State or
    > Territory nomination.
    >
    > Third, this is possibly a temporary processing measure in light of the current
    > volume of applications, and may be reviewed again as early as
July.
    > It is particularly worth noting that most overseas students applying as onshore
    > graduates will need to do well in English or obtain
bonus/spouse/etc
    > points if they are over 30.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > George Lombard
    >
    >
    > --
    > www.austimmigration.com.au

Old May 8th 2002, 2:46 am
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Hi Phil,

No, I think George is talking about Australian PR and migrants from New Zealand, not migration to New Zealand.

Susan
Old May 8th 2002, 1:20 pm
Tim S

>Alternatively, maybe DIMIA is anticipating attaining the planned skilled program
    >outcome entirely from suitable Australian-qualified students seeking permanent
    >residency ...

Is that why they increased class 880 to 115 points?

Old May 8th 2002, 2:20 pm
Nat

<Tim S> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >Alternatively, maybe DIMIA is anticipating attaining the planned skilled program
    > >outcome entirely from suitable Australian-qualified students
seeking
    > >permanent residency ...
    >
    > Is that why they increased class 880 to 115 points?
    >
I think those young students whose skills are in demand would get 115 points without
any problem. Let say... 60 points for skills in demand 30 points for young age 20
points for English 5 points for Australian degree