Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Changes to GSM 8 Februrary 2010/Cap and Cease info

Changes to GSM 8 Februrary 2010/Cap and Cease info

Old May 30th 2010, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

sidharthd is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Changes to General Skilled Migration 8 Februrary 2010

This is some news! I think really in a sense unless we get our visa's we should just carry on with our lives and leave this on the back burner. Let what happens happen.
Old May 30th 2010, 4:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changes to General Skilled Migration 8 Februrary 2010

Its been merged rather than made into a new thread because the new threads which were started were declaring that all visas were being stopped and would not be granted - as I commented above. That is NOT true and has caused distress to people reading it. The same piece of information has now been posted in six different threads, which just isnt necessary so they are being merged.
Old May 30th 2010, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

525252 has a spectacular aura about525252 has a spectacular aura about525252 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by reddragon81
well it's not an unanswerable question.
We should all send an official inquiry to make ourselves heard against the passing of this biil.
We only have until the fourth of june .
I realle believe this thread should not have been merged to a thread started on the seventh of february. It should be a thread on its own, and also tagged as important at the top of the first page, so that as many people as possible could see it and send their inquiry filling the form on the senate webpage.
I would kindly ask the moderators of this forum to do so.

agreed, this topic is important enough to at-least deserve a thread of its own!
Old May 30th 2010, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Changes to GSM 8 Februrary 2010/Cap and Cease info

when does this bill go in effect?
Old May 30th 2010, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

shafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its been merged rather than made into a new thread because the new threads which were started were declaring that all visas were being stopped and would not be granted - as I commented above. That is NOT true and has caused distress to people reading it. The same piece of information has now been posted in six different threads, which just isnt necessary so they are being merged.

This is perhaps one of the major changes for the year that will effect 1000s of would be aussis, As BE one of the major source of information for many I believe having a thread with the appropriate heading will highlight the importance of the issue in hand,
Old May 30th 2010, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

shafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really nice

Originally Posted by sidharthd
when does this bill go in effect?
It will become effective soon as it is passed

BTW it is a well know fact that for some time DIAC is carrying forward a substantial quantity of application each year, and the cumulative balance keeping increasing year after year which is becoming a unmanageable issue to DIAC.
MY assumption is DIAC with this new bill axe most of the applications who are not on the new SOL. cooks. Chef's and hairdressers will be effected mostly since these two professions are highlighted mostly by the minister. Also will allow the minister bring the backlog of application with in manageable limits.
Old May 30th 2010, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

Im asking this cos i assume that for a bill to get ratified and passed in parliment takes time. And i dont know what approval process and cycle the AU govt operates. Maybe it just takes a long time before which wannabe aussies make it through.
Old May 30th 2010, 8:16 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shafanm
This is perhaps one of the major changes for the year that will effect 1000s of would be aussis, As BE one of the major source of information for many I believe having a thread with the appropriate heading will highlight the importance of the issue in hand,
Then maybe you should take it up with Admin via PM as per site rules. The question was asked, a Super Moderator answered so either drop it or take it to PM.

Why must some posters argue whenever they don't get their way?
Old May 30th 2010, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

luvausi is on a distinguished road

Reforms result in 20 per cent drop in net overseas migration
Wednesday, 26 May 2010

Australia’s net overseas migration (NOM) level is predicted to drop by 20 per cent by the end of the financial year in response to government reforms to temporary and permanent migration and economic conditions, the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Senator Chris Evans, said today.

Launching the Department of Immigration and Citizenship’s (DIAC) flagship publication, Population flows – Immigration aspects 2008-09, Senator Evans said the level of NOM – which includes both permanent migrants and long-term temporary migrants – peaked in 2008-09 and is on the way down.

Latest figures from the ABS show that NOM peaked in the 12 months to 31 March 2009 at 305 900 people.

‘Based on recent visa applications and grants data, my department anticipates a fall of about 20 per cent compared to last year; a drop of at least 56 000 people,’ Senator Evans said.

‘By the end of 2009-2010, we expect the NOM to have fallen to between 230 000 and 250 000.’

Senator Evans said last year’s peak was largely a result of rapid growth in temporary immigrants following decisions by the Howard government which opened up permanent entry pathways for temporary residents such as students.

‘Net overseas migration is already falling as reforms to the 457 visa program help to ensure that temporary overseas workers complement and not compete with Australian workers,’ Senator Evans said.

‘In addition, the government has recently introduced a new Skilled Occupation List. This list is designed to target occupations of longer term economic value and will deliver highly skilled migrants while breaking the nexus between permanent residency and low-value education courses.’

Senator Evans said the Rudd Government was committed to ongoing reform to ensure immigration levels are guided by Australia’s needs and not by the desire of prospective migrants to come to Australia.

‘In May last year, the government announced the development of a planning framework formulated on evidenced-based research to consider the long-term effects of immigration on our population and our environment,’ Senator Evans said.

‘The framework will be a policy-guiding framework for more informed decision-making. It will not be a target-setting mechanism. It will ensure that future migration levels are driven by the genuine economic needs of the country and immigration levels will not be beyond our country’s ability to accommodate them.’

Senator Evans said Population flows, which featured dedicated chapters analysing net overseas migration (NOM), the economics of migration and the department’s migration and humanitarian programs, provided readers with a clear perspective on migration and population matters through data and commentary.

‘Immigration-related matters include Australia’s changing demographic profile, the economic rationale for skilled migration, immigration’s fiscal impacts and the potential economic benefits that the children of immigrants bring,’ he said.

‘The economic rationale for skilled migration, as described in the publication, is particularly instructive, demonstrating how skilled migration can contribute to real economic growth by enlarging our workforce, increasing workforce participation and improving our productivity.’
Old May 30th 2010, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

reddragon81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Then maybe you should take it up with Admin via PM as per site rules. The question was asked, a Super Moderator answered so either drop it or take it to PM.

Why must some posters argue whenever they don't get their way?
and who are you?
Some sort of moderator's lawyer?
There are 4 people asking the same thing (open a new thread)... there must be a reason, don't you think?
Old May 31st 2010, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

tomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond repute

This new proposed legislation could affect many expat members, and because it is still included under the old title, many are not aware that it might affect them. As there is only till 4th June to lodge your comments to the Senate enquiry if you are potentially affected by the proposed changes, lots of people might miss out on their chance.
Old May 31st 2010, 12:08 am

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reddragon81
and who are you?
Some sort of moderator's lawyer?
There are 4 people asking the same thing (open a new thread)... there must be a reason, don't you think?
Don't you think you're being somewhat harsh? The mods/admins do a really good job on here, and they don't have to. I've just been reading through the posts and from what I can see, the threads being merged has already been explained, more than once.

To be honest, I'm quite glad the threads are merged. I find it easier rather than having threads all over the forum on the same issue.
Old May 31st 2010, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tomar
This new proposed legislation could affect many expat members, and because it is still included under the old title, many are not aware that it might affect them. As there is only till 4th June to lodge your comments to the Senate enquiry if you are potentially affected by the proposed changes, lots of people might miss out on their chance.
I completely agree!!
This way lots of people might miss their chances to lodge their inquiry to the Senate !
Old May 31st 2010, 2:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76
Don't you think you're being somewhat harsh? The mods/admins do a really good job on here, and they don't have to. I've just been reading through the posts and from what I can see, the threads being merged has already been explained, more than once.

To be honest, I'm quite glad the threads are merged. I find it easier rather than having threads all over the forum on the same issue.

you are wrong, Moderators or Admins are not super humans and should listen to the opinion of the majority, The new legislation is a very hot top in almost all the migration forums except BE because of their obsolete attitude.

I've been a great fan of BE but, sometimes what Dorothy says really sucks
Unless the topic is changed most people would think this thread about FEB 8TH CHANGES TO SKILL MIGRATIONS. This is obvious from the fact that not much have commented about the new changes which is to effect a lot of people. this issue is a " live topic " elsewhere.
Old May 31st 2010, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by shafanm
you are wrong, Moderators or Admins are not super humans and should listen to the opinion of the majority, The new legislation is a very hot top in almost all the migration forums except BE because of their obsolete attitude.

I've been a great fan of BE but, sometimes what Dorothy says really sucks
Unless the topic is changed most people would think this thread about FEB 8TH CHANGES TO SKILL MIGRATIONS. This is obvious from the fact that not much have commented about the new changes which is to effect a lot of people. this issue is a " live topic " elsewhere.
I totally agree with every word you wrote!
I couldn't have explained it better!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.