Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Changes to GSM 8 Februrary 2010/Cap and Cease info

Changes to GSM 8 Februrary 2010/Cap and Cease info

Old Feb 8th 2010, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Duncan_Mc will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Changes to General Skilled Migration 8 Februrary 2010

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Sorry, but why would you be compensated for medicals or police checks unless they were requested by the case officer. If they were then you are probably close to the end of your visa processing. If not, then you paid for them at your own peril as stated on the DIAC website. And why would you be compensated for agent fees? Using an agent is not mandatory, so again you use an agent at your own peril.

Where did it say that your application will be ceased at all? The announcement says 20 000 applications will be processed. It's entirely possible there are only 19000 applications in the system so EVERYONE who applied before 1 Sept 2007 will get a visa.

Are you saying now that even if your visa were granted tomorrow you wouldn't want it? A visa to live in Australia is a priviledge, not a right.
Sometimes I think that you are HIM.

Below are the next beatifull cappings that awite people who made their wrong decision to ever lodge visa applications with 3d world country Australia.

Certain occupations may be capped to ensure skill needs are met across the board.

Amendments to the Migration Act will be introduced this year to give the Minister the power to set the maximum number of visas that may be granted to applicants in any one occupation if need be. This will ensure that the Skilled Migration Program is not dominated by a handful of occupations.

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 8th 2010 at 1:14 pm. Reason: Abusive comments are not tolerated on this forum
Old Feb 8th 2010, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan_Mc
Sometimes I think that you are HIM.

Below are the next beatifull cappings that awite people who made their wrong decision to ever lodge visa applications with 3d world country Australia.

The fact is this IS AUSTRALIA and the government has the right to change the immigration laws at any time and as they see fit [and I'm not admirer of the current government I can assure you]. It's very hard cheese for some people but that is always the risk.

Australian Migration is a privilege; not some tawdry product that can be bought if you wave enough money at the right person. As far as I am aware the "whites only policy" died out years ago here and the migration process is well-and-truly colour blind.

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 8th 2010 at 1:16 pm. Reason: Removing abusive part of quoted post
Old Feb 8th 2010, 1:20 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is a sticky thread so that remains prominent for people who wish to read and discuss the changes to Immigration policy.

It is not here so that people can post abusive comments either to Mods or to other posters.

Duncan_Mc - I suggest you calm down before posting again or you may find yourself banned.
Moderators and agents devote a lot of time to this forum, totally voluntarily, and over the last 24 hours some of us have devoted a lot of time to this one issue. To get abuse as a reward is not the way to get our continuing assistance.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Duncan_Mc will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pollyana
This thread is a sticky thread so that remains prominent for people who wish to read and discuss the changes to Immigration policy.

It is not here so that people can post abusive comments either to Mods or to other posters.

Duncan_Mc - I suggest you calm down before posting again or you may find yourself banned.
Moderators and agents devote a lot of time to this forum, totally voluntarily, and over the last 24 hours some of us have devoted a lot of time to this one issue. To get abuse as a reward is not the way to get our continuing assistance.
You know, I just cannot understand how people can be so selfish telling really stupid things.
My opinion is BE would be much better place if moderators could understand peoples feelings and not just being hired robots.

Any way, sorry if I was abusive.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shears
"Q 4 Which GSM visa subclasses are exempt from new priority processing?
The following visa subclasses are exempt from priority processing:
• Skilled—Recognised Graduate (subclass 476)
• Skilled—Graduate (subclass 485)
• Skilled—Designated Area—Sponsored (Residence) (subclass 883)
• Skilled—Regional (subclass 887).
Applications for these visa subclasses will be processed in the order in which they are received"

Okay, I'm being a bit thick here, but does this mean they will be processed as they would have been prior to 23/9/09? Or will they have to wait in the system til all the "priority" applications are dealt with? Any advice much appreciated
I got lost in the cross-fire ... any input from any people (or robots, I'm not really fussed!! ) more than welcome and karma-d and thanked wholeheartedly [grovel smiley]
Old Feb 8th 2010, 2:16 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan_Mc
You know, I just cannot understand how people can be so selfish telling really stupid things.
My opinion is BE would be much better place if moderators could understand peoples feelings and not just being hired robots.

Any way, sorry if I was abusive.
I consider telling us that we are hired robots is also offensive, certainly to me.
You have no idea of our personal circumstances visa-wise, and you also have no idea of how many posters on these forums are close friends of ours and who are now affected by these changes. After a number of years on this forum let me assure you that when an announcement like this one is made, we really do feel for the people affected by it. That is one reason why we try to help out, by offering information, creating sticky threads and WIKI entries, and by simply keeping order so that useful information doesn't get lost under a barrage of abuse and/or chit chat. To suggest that just because we are Moderators we have no feelings is just ludicrous.

If you do not like the way BE is moderated, I suggest you a) take it up with Admin (Sue) by pm, and b) go and find a different forum on which to post.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Shaun200 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes please!
This forum is extremely informative and to constantly have to wade through the comments that do not relate to the topic is just so frustrating.

As I see it, the people who give advice on here should be thanked for their time and effort in giving us all the tools we need to get through this process.

And now I've added to the non-topic comments !! Sorry, had to be said!

Thanks
Jane
Old Feb 8th 2010, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

khz2007 is just really nicekhz2007 is just really nicekhz2007 is just really nicekhz2007 is just really nicekhz2007 is just really nicekhz2007 is just really nicekhz2007 is just really nicekhz2007 is just really nice

Sorry, but why would you be compensated for medicals or police checks unless they were requested by the case officer. If they were then you are probably close to the end of your visa processing. If not, then you paid for them at your own peril as stated on the DIAC website. ( I was requested for Medicals)

Where did it say that your application will be ceased at all? The announcement says 20 000 applications will be processed. It's entirely possible there are only 19000 applications in the system so EVERYONE who applied before 1 Sept 2007 will get a visa.Are you saying now that even if your visa were granted tomorrow you wouldn't want it? A visa to live in Australia is a priviledge, not a right
[/QUOTE]

Where do they say???? What I understand is that all prior 1st Sep. 2007 applicants are ceased and capped and their VAC will be refunded... All MRT cases are also capped? And also for applicants requested for medicals and IELTS??? Have I read too much into the New Legislation...? Please Dorothy... Explain

Sure Is a privilege... I want the visa tomorrow... I have been waiting since August 2007... Is there any way I can attach documents from DIAC to support my case and clarify my situation and explain with all the mails I have received regarding request for medicals, the letter of acknowledgment which states-- Please provide all requested documents so it will be easier for your application to be processed quickly ....

Last edited by khz2007; Feb 8th 2010 at 5:01 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

McBee4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Like many on this forum I have been waiting a while for a case officer for my application (lodged October 2008), have family in Australia (and are sponsoring me) and am frustrated by the wait and uncertainty with 2012 the estimated time for processing before today (assuming I tick the boxes).

But we know the score when we apply, what the rules are and that there is no guarantee for anyone as rules can change to suit the economic and social circumstances of the day as any decent Govt should do. Sometimes this works in our favour, sometimes it doesn't. Aportioning blame says more about the poster than the system.

As someone quite rightly pointed out, emigration is an opportunity and a privilege, not a right. My sister and mother have earned theirs, I must wait to see if I've earned mine. We must prove we will be an addition to the country, not a hindrance; that we can contribute to the economy and/or society, not become a financial burden or social menace. And quite right too. Change is life and we thrive by accepting and adapting.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

KHZ - what the announcement said is that they will apply a cap to the number of pre 2007 applications to be completed and once they reach that figure they will cancel the rest. So that suggests they will process some, but of course we have no idea how many. Or when you would know either way.

So it is not completely over, although it may be better to prepare yourself for the worst. If it is bad news, for what it is worth I think it is a poor show from DIAC. It is very easy to say don't put your life on hold but difficult not to.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

525252 has a spectacular aura about525252 has a spectacular aura about525252 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
KHZ - what the announcement said is that they will apply a cap to the number of pre 2007 applications to be completed and once they reach that figure they will cancel the rest. So that suggests they will process some, but of course we have no idea how many. Or when you would know either way.

So it is not completely over, although it may be better to prepare yourself for the worst. If it is bad news, for what it is worth I think it is a poor show from DIAC. It is very easy to say don't put your life on hold but difficult not to.
I have applied for Skilled – Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175) in Jan 2010

my profession was in CSL and MODL at time of application.

Am I right to assume that my application processing will be only delayed if it is removed from SOL which comes into play in mid 2010 ? and currently there is no change for me

Last edited by 525252; Feb 8th 2010 at 6:35 pm. Reason: typo
Old Feb 8th 2010, 6:13 pm
Adelaide Bound

Seacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of light

Does this effect you if you have been granted your visa 07, validated but yet to make the move?

I can understand why this is such a difficult time for everyone. We had a similar panic when they ceased the 139 visa with us frantically getting the application in. I really do hope that everyone can find a way.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 6:27 pm
Tarun

tarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nice

I had a read through the DIAC site. Just had a question regarding priority processing.
Do these changes mean that anyone on a temporary visa like 457, when applying for permanency (RSMS or ENS) cannot be considered for lodging an application, in the event their skills aren't listed in the CSL or the SOL?
Old Feb 8th 2010, 6:45 pm
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

No, what the Ministerial statement posted earlier in this thread said was that ALL pre 1/9/07 applications "will have their applications withdrawn" and that this is estimated to affect 20,000 people (note, not 20,000 applications) so according to the Minister its all over for pre 1/9/07 applicants.

Where did it say that your application will be ceased at all? The announcement says 20 000 applications will be processed. It's entirely possible there are only 19000 applications in the system so EVERYONE who applied before 1 Sept 2007 will get a visa.
Nope, read what the Minister actually said, not the third hand (press) reports of what people said he said.
http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/medi...10/ce10006.htm

Migration reforms to deliver Australia's skills needs

Monday, 8 February 2010
The Rudd Government is reforming the permanent skilled migration program to ensure it is more responsive to the needs of industry and employers and better addresses the nation’s future skill needs.

The reforms will deliver a demand rather than a supply driven skilled migration program that meets the needs of the economy in sectors and regions where there are shortages of highly skilled workers, such as healthcare, engineering and mining. The major reforms to the skilled migration program are:

20 000 would-be migrants will have their applications cancelled and receive a refund.

All offshore General Skilled Migration applications lodged before 1 September 2007 will have their applications withdrawn. These are people who applied overseas under easier standards, including lower English language skills and a less rigorous work experience requirement. It is expected about 20 000 people fall into this category. The department will refund their visa application charge at an estimated cost of $14 million. Average applications cost between $1500 and $2000 and most contain more than one person.

Last edited by ex_exile; Feb 8th 2010 at 6:58 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

proximo will become famous soon enough

Well it seems like the priority for Skilled independent visa subclass 175 hasn't changed. Its still the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.