Wikiposts

Change of visa query

Old Jun 11th 2012, 9:39 am
Just Joined

cshowell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Change of visa query

Hello

I wondered if anyone could help or advise me? My husband has had a positive skills assessment, we have arranged State Sponsorship and are about to submit an application to DIAC for a 176 (before 1st July when the changes have come in). He has 80 points under the current system.

However, a week ago a potential employer got in touch with my husband and wants to sponsor him on a 120 (under a Labour Agreement). The complication is that they want all his medical records prior to putting the offer in writing (fully understandable but poor timing). Our GP says they will take up to 2 months to get all the documentation together and they won't be speeded up. This obviously means we will be under the new system if we wait to be sponsored on the 120 (which will no longer exist - although the employer in question was unaware of this until we told them).

We are both keen to get out as soon as possible and I have 3 questions which I am struggling to find the answers to.

1. Does anybody know if it makes any difference which visa (120 or 176) you go out on if you are going to the same area?

2. If we went for the 176 and then got the offer letter afterwards, could we submit it as additional information at a later date, and would this have any effect on the speed the visa got processed?

3. Alternatively, if we got the offer letter after 1st July, would it be sensible to submit an additional application for a 120 (or its replacement which I think is the 886), apart from the additional cost?

Any help would be appreciated. I have 2 toddlers with tonsilitis and am exhausted trying to find answers (and my husband is away!)

Many thanks

Carolyn
Old Jun 11th 2012, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Change of visa query

Comments in red.

Originally Posted by cshowell
Hello

I wondered if anyone could help or advise me? My husband has had a positive skills assessment, we have arranged State Sponsorship and are about to submit an application to DIAC for a 176 (before 1st July when the changes have come in). He has 80 points under the current system.

That is a very impressive points total, are you sure nothing is double counted or anything like that?

However, a week ago a potential employer got in touch with my husband and wants to sponsor him on a 120 (under a Labour Agreement). The complication is that they want all his medical records prior to putting the offer in writing (fully understandable but poor timing). Our GP says they will take up to 2 months to get all the documentation together and they won't be speeded up. This obviously means we will be under the new system if we wait to be sponsored on the 120 (which will no longer exist - although the employer in question was unaware of this until we told them).

We are both keen to get out as soon as possible and I have 3 questions which I am struggling to find the answers to.

1. Does anybody know if it makes any difference which visa (120 or 176) you go out on if you are going to the same area?

Not sure what you mean by makes a difference i.e. makes a difference to what? They are both permanent visas.

2. If we went for the 176 and then got the offer letter afterwards, could we submit it as additional information at a later date, and would this have any effect on the speed the visa got processed?

The offer letter would be irrelevant to the 176 application. No point in submitting it and it would not speed anything up even if you did.

3. Alternatively, if we got the offer letter after 1st July, would it be sensible to submit an additional application for a 120 (or its replacement which I think is the 886), apart from the additional cost?

It doesn't seem particularly sensible because of the cost, it might be better to determine up front which avenue to pursue and stick to it. If you do have 80 points, it will assist in getting through tthe EOI process I believe, should the 120 not come off.

Any help would be appreciated. I have 2 toddlers with tonsilitis and am exhausted trying to find answers (and my husband is away!)

Many thanks

Carolyn