British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Change of name on passport after marriage (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/change-name-passport-after-marriage-562714/)

chris96 Sep 20th 2008 5:50 pm

Change of name on passport after marriage

Hi,

Me and my wife validated our 136 visa last yr, we came back to england and got married recently, we are heading to australia at christmas on holiday, but her surname has now changed. We booked the tickets in her new name.

Do we need to send the new passport off when it arrives to australia house to get the visa label transfered or do we just take the new and old passport away with us and hand them both in at passport control?

Has anyone else been in the same situation?

Cheer's
Chris.

JAJ Sep 20th 2008 6:29 pm

Re: Change of name on passport after marriage

Best to get the visa label transferred otherwise you could face long delay at check-in with passport and visa in a different name.

Although it's not clear whether Australia House in London are willing to transfer visa labels for this reason. It could be done easily at a DIAC office in Perth. Copy of marriage certificate will probably be needed as well.

chris96 Sep 20th 2008 8:48 pm

I was thinking is it possible to travel under the new passport but pass through immigration with the old one? do they compare the travel names on a list to the passport on entry, i thought they'd just checked for a valid visa, which it has? We're off the beginning of December to Brisbane.

Chris.

Pollyana Sep 21st 2008 6:34 am

Originally Posted by chris96 (Post 6804066)
I was thinking is it possible to travel under the new passport but pass through immigration with the old one? do they compare the travel names on a list to the passport on entry, i thought they'd just checked for a valid visa, which it has? We're off the beginning of December to Brisbane.

Chris.

You would need both passports as if the only label is in the old passport then it will be linked to the old passport number.

dave7370 Oct 20th 2008 6:18 am

Originally Posted by chris96 (Post 6804066)

Chris.

I could have told you the answer to this if you'd asked me bud.

D'uh!:p

You can get the visa transfered to the new passport over here if you so wish.

welshviking Oct 20th 2008 6:23 am

Originally Posted by chris96 (Post 6803715)
Hi,

Me and my wife validated our 136 visa last yr, we came back to england and got married recently, we are heading to australia at christmas on holiday, but her surname has now changed. We booked the tickets in her new name.

Do we need to send the new passport off when it arrives to australia house to get the visa label transfered or do we just take the new and old passport away with us and hand them both in at passport control?

Has anyone else been in the same situation?

Cheer's
Chris.

I did exactly that, just traveled with two passports, no big deal.

chris96 Oct 23rd 2008 3:08 pm

Sorted now, just posted both passports with a copy of the marriage certificate and a cover letter to the visa evidence branch in London. They transferred the label.

All good. :)

Chris.