Wikiposts

change of name and citizenship

Old Sep 22nd 2007, 3:53 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: change of name and citizenship

Originally Posted by mand8002
It must depend on who you get then, as when I went for mine he said "I am glad you have your certificate of name change as I wouldn't be able to accept your UK marriage certificate"
Anyone who encounters an official with this attitude should insist that they look up their own policy manual (see post #25 of this thread) which has clear instructions on what is and is not acceptable.

Bottom line is that if you have migrated to Australia under a married name, this certificate is not required as far as official DIAC policy is concerned. Officials who go on a power trip and demand something else need to be held accountable.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 10:39 am
Senior Stella Member

Plug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nice
Default Re: change of name and citizenship

Just thought I would add my experience of this for anyone else who follows up. I booked my citizenship test at the Brisbane office and asked the question regarding name change evidence. The guy said that he 'personally' would accept the UK marriage cert so long as my wife's passport and visa had her married name and that we should bring along a couple of utility/moblie bills with her name on as back up. I'll update if we have any hassle with this.