Wikiposts

change of name and citizenship

Old Aug 28th 2007, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default change of name and citizenship

Thought this might prove useful to people:

We have applied for citizenship and did the online application. I then phoned to arrange my interview and when they sent me the confirmation email with all the details on it stated that they will not accept an overseas marriage certificate as proof of change of name, I needed a change of name certificate.
This change of name certificate costs $91 and then if you need priority processing (which I did cos I didn't know I needed it), then that is an extra $67.
My daughter tried to get her interview and was told that they were not giving out any more interviews till after the test comes in so she was panicking. We went to the citizenship office to see if she could come with me and found out that because of the change, at the moment, you can take all your stuff in and sit and wait and they will do the interview there and then. This could be useful for anyone wanting to get theirs done before the new rules come into force.

Amanda
Old Aug 28th 2007, 3:05 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: change of name and citizenship

Originally Posted by mand8002

We have applied for citizenship and did the online application. I then phoned to arrange my interview and when they sent me the confirmation email with all the details on it stated that they will not accept an overseas marriage certificate as proof of change of name, I needed a change of name certificate.
This change of name certificate costs $91 and then if you need priority processing (which I did cos I didn't know I needed it), then that is an extra $67.
My daughter tried to get her interview and was told that they were not giving out any more interviews till after the test comes in so she was panicking. We went to the citizenship office to see if she could come with me and found out that because of the change, at the moment, you can take all your stuff in and sit and wait and they will do the interview there and then. This could be useful for anyone wanting to get theirs done before the new rules come into force.

Amanda
How annoying

A marriage certicate will show maiden name and new name, so why this is not good enough beats me. Actually it must be another way to get more money out of us all. Will be something else next week.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 3:21 pm

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Amanda
I went to my interview and was told i needed this also i then had to go to BDM for it they weren't very helpful i paid $180 to get it the same day then went back to the citizenship office with it and our application was processed.

We have since been accepted but it is a added cost that i think is unnessary the majority of women coming here would have changed there name through marriage very good money making scheme i think!!
Old Aug 28th 2007, 3:29 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

There has been some discussion about whether overseas marriage certificates are acceptable as evidence of change of name.

They are having to accept them whether they like it or not from overseas applicants (citizenship by descent etc) as there is no alternative. Perhaps if the state/territory registries in Australia do offer a service like this then they expect people to use it.

Bear in mind two very important points (considering the likely change to the law in September on citizenship testing):

1. If residentially qualified, you can apply even if they have not got an interview available. The new citizenship tests will replace interviews but they will have to interview everyone who applies before the change in the law.

2. Even if a particular document is outstanding, you can still apply (if residentially qualified) and sort the missing document out later on.

Even though they might tell you otherwise, they cannot refuse to accept your application if made on the correct form (124) with fee.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

im sure that they took my marriage cert as proof
Old Aug 28th 2007, 6:50 pm

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by donna
im sure that they took my marriage cert as proof
this new change of name thing came into effect in the beginning of july when they changed the forms if you did it before a marriage certificate was enough.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kez81
this new change of name thing came into effect in the beginning of july when they changed the forms if you did it before a marriage certificate was enough.
The lady in the registry office said it came in in 2004, not sure how true that is. Anyhow, mine is all done now after a slight panic that I didn't have all my documentation. I should get that back next Wednesday and then I go the week after for my interview.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yet more money, glad I've decided to stay as a Brit

If you have changed your name and changed it back after a divorce, or been married several times, do they want you to pay each time?
It is to be hoped not..........
Old Aug 29th 2007, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of

It is to be hoped not..........
Just to clarify.

If you are applying for citizenship in Australia and are married and took your husbands surname - you will need to supply a change of name certificate along with your marriage certificate to apply?

Did I get that right?
Old Aug 29th 2007, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of

Thats what it sounds like.
Apparently an Aussie marriage certificate (which is good enough to change a surname on a British passport) is no longer good enough to prove why you have changed your name when going for Aussie citizenship.
Thanks Pollyana

Where exactly would you go a change of name certificate? Would it just be your local registry office over here. If so I think I'll just bring one with me for when I need it.

Trish
Old Aug 29th 2007, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scrum
Just to clarify.

If you are applying for citizenship in Australia and are married and took your husbands surname - you will need to supply a change of name certificate along with your marriage certificate to apply?

Did I get that right?
Yes, the email I got confirming my interview states "If you have changed your name from that on your birth certificate, you must provide Australian official evidence of all name changes. This will usually be a change of name certificate issued by an Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages (RBDM), or a marriage certificate issued by an Australian RBDM. Overseas marriage certificates are not acceptable evidence of a name change"

To get the change of name certificate you need to fill the form in, and supply three lots of identification, one being a photo one. I supplied my Australian drivers licence, medicare card and rates notice for our house. They only accept certified copies so I had to go to the local jp for that doing. You also need a letter from someone saying you have lived in Queensland for the last 12 months (from memory it had to be from someone like the doctor, bank, school or employer).
In the registry office they had a dedicated desk to change of name so it didn't take long to lodge it (daren't post it in case it got lost).
Old Aug 29th 2007, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, the email I got confirming my interview states "If you have changed your name from that on your birth certificate, you must provide Australian official evidence of all name changes. This will usually be a change of name certificate issued by an Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages (RBDM), or a marriage certificate issued by an Australian RBDM. Overseas marriage certificates are not acceptable evidence of a name change"

To get the change of name certificate you need to fill the form in, and supply three lots of identification, one being a photo one. I supplied my Australian drivers licence, medicare card and rates notice for our house. They only accept certified copies so I had to go to the local jp for that doing. You also need a letter from someone saying you have lived in Queensland for the last 12 months (from memory it had to be from someone like the doctor, bank, school or employer).
In the registry office they had a dedicated desk to change of name so it didn't take long to lodge it (daren't post it in case it got lost).
Cheers for that, it's really handy to know.

In fact it's amazing the little tit bits of useful information you get on this site.

Appreciate the reply.

Trish
Old Aug 29th 2007, 3:41 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

So not only do you have to fork out for it, but it stops you applying for citizrnship unless you've lived in Queensland for 12 months!! So for anyone plannign to move interstate if you really want to be an Aussie get it sorted first. Jeez........
If it's not possible to obtain such a document (eg due to not having lived in the state long enough) then I would think it highly unlikely that citizenship would be refused.

And if it was there would be a lot of pressure on the minister to explain what was going on.

Once again, this is not a statutory requirement and a lot of "policies" in the citizenship department are not well thought through.

And once again, they are still accepting overseas marriage certificates from those outside Australia applying for citizenship. (of course, you don't need to believe me if you don't want to ... )

Last edited by JAJ; Aug 29th 2007 at 3:44 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Course I believe you Glad you stopped by the thread with some clarification. Suppose I should be used to the red tape by now, but it does get tangled up doesn't it - specially when they send out emails with all the details of stuff you need to get, and only the people who decide to argue (or to read BE!) find out that some of the policies are unenforceable - like refusing citizenship to someone who can't prove they've lived in Qld for 12 months!

-----------

Wonder what the position is for someone who has changed their name by deed poll in the UK - I guess they'd need the name change certificate too?

Well I'll be knackered then, I live in SA - not Queensland
Old Aug 29th 2007, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thats what it says on the Qld site silly Wonder if the SA site has a similar rule.......about living in SA..........Wendy the Stampede will no doubt track it down for us

Maybe tomorrow. Can't be bothered today

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.