Change from 457 to 189

Old Sep 18th 2014, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

purcela is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Change from 457 to 189

Hi, hoping someone can help me with this question.

I am currently on a 457 visa sponsored by my employer, but am looking to change job to a company that will not take over sponsorship so am going to apply for 189 visa.

As I understand it I will remain on the 457 visa until the 189 is granted, which would take a few months and I would lose the new role as they cannot wait that long for me. Is it possible to have the 457 visa cancelled and go onto a 189 bridging visa which would allow me to work for the new employer as soon as I get an offer to apply?

Thanks guys.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Change from 457 to 189

Originally Posted by purcela
Hi, hoping someone can help me with this question.

I am currently on a 457 visa sponsored by my employer, but am looking to change job to a company that will not take over sponsorship so am going to apply for 189 visa.

As I understand it I will remain on the 457 visa until the 189 is granted, which would take a few months and I would lose the new role as they cannot wait that long for me. Is it possible to have the 457 visa cancelled and go onto a 189 bridging visa which would allow me to work for the new employer as soon as I get an offer to apply?

Thanks guys.
No. This isn't going to work for a couple of reasons I will go into, but overall no, it not going to work. You are going to have to tell the employer that either they take over the 457 sponsorship or they have to wait until you can get an alternative visa.

Firstly the bridging visa only comes in once you have applied for another substantive visa and that in itself is surely going to take a few months to get to that point.

Even if you were in a position to apply for the 189 tomorrow, your 457 is still in place only allowing you to work for the sponsoring employer. If you cancel the 457, then the associated bridging visa in the background is also cancelled. You would in that case only be eligible for a BVE which comes with no work or travel rights. Working rights can be applied for, but again this would all take several months to work through.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

Wow, great reply BermudaShorts, thank you so much. Really helpful and good to know where I stand.

I am going to submit my EOI now so to get the ball rolling on 189 anyway, there is a round of offers on Monday next. If I am asked to apply from there do I just need to submit all the necessary supporting documentation from my EOI and wait for a Case Officer to contact me?
Old Sep 18th 2014, 3:38 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, great reply BermudaShorts, thank you so much. Really helpful and good to know where I stand.

I am going to submit my EOI now so to get the ball rolling on 189 anyway, there is a round of offers on Monday next. If I am asked to apply from there do I just need to submit all the necessary supporting documentation from my EOI and wait for a Case Officer to contact me?
Have you done the skills assessment, IELTS, etc you need to submit the EOI?
Old Sep 18th 2014, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Hi Dorothy,

Yes I have all of that completed and have 75 points in total. So I think now I just need to submit copies of my passport, birth cert, IELTS, skills assessment, uni documentation, proof of de facto relationship for my partner and a few other pieces of info.

Aside from that is it just a police background check that I need as well as some health checks?
Old Sep 18th 2014, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dorothy,

Yes I have all of that completed and have 75 points in total. So I think now I just need to submit copies of my passport, birth cert, IELTS, skills assessment, uni documentation, proof of de facto relationship for my partner and a few other pieces of info.

Aside from that is it just a police background check that I need as well as some health checks?
You cant submit anything yet, you need to wait for an invitation to apply.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

Yes I should have said that, next round of offers is Monday so am hoping I might get the invite then. If that comes through is it a case then of paying the fee and starting to upload the documents to the online account? When does the Case Officer get involved?
Old Sep 18th 2014, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes I should have said that, next round of offers is Monday so am hoping I might get the invite then. If that comes through is it a case then of paying the fee and starting to upload the documents to the online account? When does the Case Officer get involved?
Have you lodged an EOI already? I would be surprised if you lodge one today and get an invite on Monday, not that I am monitoring but I thought it usually took a round or two.

If you get an invite, you fill in the application, pay the fee and upload the documents. You won't know when you get a CO, they don't introduce themselves.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

dasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond repute

If he really has 75 points as he said, it is very probably he gets invited in the next round of invitations which is next Monday.