Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Chances of an extension to Skilled Migrant Visa?

Chances of an extension to Skilled Migrant Visa?

Old Aug 10th 2013, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

flanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to all
Default Chances of an extension to Skilled Migrant Visa?

I suspect this is a no, but our Class 175 Visa expires April 2015 and I want to go and study a part time Msc over 2 years. That will mean the course will not complete until after the visa has expired. Can you apply for an extension to the visa.

Only reason is that I currently work in IT in London and want to move out of IT and into Petroleum Engineering, which is why I am planning on doing the MSc

Thanks
Old Aug 10th 2013, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chances of an extension to Skilled Migrant Visa?

An "extension" to your visa is called a resident return visa and eligibility is based on your links to Australia. If you don't have any, you would be unlikely to qualify for one. Read more here http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Reside...Visa-Australia and on the DIAC site and see what you think.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 8:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

So last year you wanted an extension so your daughter could finish at school. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...8#post10423138
Now you want to do a course before moving. There will come a point where you have to move - and while I obviously don't know all your circumstances, why did you apply for a visa if you didn't intend using it?
Old Aug 10th 2013, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

flanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
So last year you wanted an extension so your daughter could finish at school. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...8#post10423138
Now you want to do a course before moving. There will come a point where you have to move - and while I obviously don't know all your circumstances, why did you apply for a visa if you didn't intend using it?
Blimey - You have a better memory than I do! You have a point though and unfortunately, things have changed since I applied all of those years ago. The industry I work in no longer interests me and the IT sector in Aus does not either, so leaving IT in London to go and do IT in Australia does not appeal.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Rhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flanagaj
Only reason is that I currently work in IT in London and want to move out of IT and into Petroleum Engineering, which is why I am planning on doing the MSc
Are you planning to continue working in IT whilst undertaking the part-time MSc.?

What about studying for the MSc. over here?
Old Aug 11th 2013, 2:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flanagaj
Blimey - You have a better memory than I do! You have a point though and unfortunately, things have changed since I applied all of those years ago. The industry I work in no longer interests me and the IT sector in Aus does not either, so leaving IT in London to go and do IT in Australia does not appeal.
You can work in whatever industry you like, perhaps do the Masters in Australia. At some point, you need to bite the bullet and make the move, it is inconvenient and upheaval for everyone that does it. You are unlikely to qualify for a RRV, you need to decide do you really want to do this or if you are happy to knock the whole idea on the head. I remember the palaver you had getting the visa in first place, what a waste..