Wikiposts

certified documents

Old Apr 12th 2005, 2:58 am
Just Joined

sergeoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default certified documents

Hi everybody,

As I am a French guy and as I am coming to the UK soon, I would like to know where is possible to certify documents in England ?
At the town council ? I do not know...
It is because I have lots of document in english language.

Kind Regards

Serge
Old Apr 12th 2005, 5:19 am
DarrenD

Default Re: certified documents

Hi

have a look at this thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295551

A solicitor can do it.
Not usual for town hall to do it (things like that work a little differently in UK)

However, a court magistrate (justice of the peace) can do it. Some do it for free, some charge (mine is £ 8 per page)

Its worth shopping around.

My solicitor quoted £ 5 per page, but when I went in with photocopies already done and just needed stamping charged £ 1 - £ 2.

hope this helps

Old Apr 12th 2005, 5:31 am
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: certified documents

Originally Posted by DarrenD
Hi

A solicitor can do it.
Not usual for town hall to do it (things like that work a little differently in UK)

However, a court magistrate (justice of the peace) can do it. Some do it for free, some charge (mine is £ 8 per page)

My solicitor quoted £ 5 per page, but when I went in with photocopies already done and just needed stamping charged £ 1 - £ 2.

hope this helps
We had ours certifed today at Reading Magistrates Court and they did it for FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ! ! !

The wife had to stand up in court and swear on the New Testament and lie through her teeth, sorry I mean tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I just sat at the back with a big grin on my face.

They had not done this before so we told them what we wanted and they came through for us. One of the JP's asked if we are charging for this as he had heard that solicitors do. We told them 'No, JP's usually do it for free' and they just laughed. Although after they saw how much needed doing the man in the middle did say this is gonna cost you now!

But they did not charge.

If anyone else decides to do it there just call the court, tell them what you want and they will book you in.

R.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 5:40 am
DarrenD

Originally Posted by Carruss
We had ours certifed today at Reading Magistrates Court and they did it for FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ! ! !
R.
There you go. It just shows. £ 8 per page was in Basingstoke (next town, 20 mins away).

This was quoted up front when phoning to book.

Old Apr 12th 2005, 7:16 am
Just Joined

sergeoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DarrenD
Hi

A solicitor can do it.

hope this helps
Thank a lot!
Old Apr 14th 2005, 9:01 am
Just Joined

MR2Kid is an unknown quantity at this point

The wife had to stand up in court and swear on the New Testament and lie through her teeth, sorry I mean tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I just sat at the back with a big grin on my face.

They had not done this before so we told them what we wanted and they came through for us. One of the JP's asked if we are charging for this as he had heard that solicitors do. We told them 'No, JP's usually do it for free' and they just laughed. Although after they saw how much needed doing the man in the middle did say this is gonna cost you now!

But they did not charge.

If anyone else decides to do it there just call the court, tell them what you want and they will book you in.

R.
Just putting my TRA together and my mates dad (who is a police sargent) is going to certify the coped documents for me. Wot dose he have to do exactly?
Old Apr 14th 2005, 6:31 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: certified documents

Originally Posted by MR2Kid
Just putting my TRA together and my mates dad (who is a police sargent) is going to certify the coped documents for me. Wot dose he have to do exactly?
First of all I would check that he is OK to do this as I am not sure if he is!

My wife had to swear under oath etc and the JP stamped the copies with a proper stamp stating that is was a certified copy and signed it. It should also have the name of the person certifying the document and their contact details if they need to check with them.

If I were you I would post a question in the forum asking about a policeman certifying them. Just to be sure!

They will fail you on the slightest thing. You may have seen this on others posts.

R.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 2:20 am
Just Joined

MR2Kid is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: certified documents

First of all I would check that he is OK to do this as I am not sure if he is!

My wife had to swear under oath etc and the JP stamped the copies with a proper stamp stating that is was a certified copy and signed it. It should also have the name of the person certifying the document and their contact details if they need to check with them.

If I were you I would post a question in the forum asking about a policeman certifying them. Just to be sure!

They will fail you on the slightest thing. You may have seen this on others posts.

R.
All ready sent an email to TRA about this and thay said it would be ok. I was going to have my friendly police man do a covering letter saying evrything is certified and have him stamp and sign every page in my application, do you think this would be enough?
Thanx for your help.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Im very supprised that a Policeman can certify docs, we were told Magistrate, JP or lawyer had to do it.

We have a very good friends who is a police officier, but I also have a friend who is a JP, so thats who done it. She didnt have a JP stamps though, just certified, signed, dated and put contact details on them, in fact I wrote the contact details on them all. A business card would have sufficed, but she didnt have one! and all this for FREE! Yipee!

The TRA passed me, so I guess that its okay to do it this way.

Good luck all