care homes on contributory parent visa

Old Mar 3rd 2009, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

laurao is an unknown quantity at this point
Default care homes on contributory parent visa

Hi there...this is the first time I have posted as we are just starting our planning for our move this year so apologies if I get it all wrong

Was hoping you might be able to help with a few queries before we apply for this visa for my 80 year old mother. I am an only child.

My husband( australian Citizen by birth) and myself ( Perm resident) and our 2 daughters are currently in the Uk but moving to Australia permanently this year. We have been back in the UK after only 4 months in Australia in 2005 as my dad became very ill and subsequently died. We support my mum in every way apart from financially although I am power of attorney for her.

questions

1. Will I need to be over in Australia and settled before we put in the application? mum is terrified of being left alone in the UK as she has no family and only ever sees us( not the worlds most sociable person!!!!). I am assuming after then it is at least a two year wait. what can we do while she waits as two years will be an eternity for her.

2. Should I try to become a citizen so the wait to apply is shorter. I initially had perm residency by virtue of being an accountant and then coincidently met my Australian husband in the UK. hence I think I might be able to apply under the rules of time spent overseas with a spouse but not sure as my visa is not due to us being married

2. The only other concern we have is that we intend for her to live with us and to care for her. However we are very aware that we do not know what the future holds for her. If she was to require nursing home care we know that in the UK she uses up virtually all her assets and then the state intervenes and cares for her when she has about $30k left.
what is our position as sponsers in Australia if this were to happen. On this visa when her assets run out are we then responsible for her fees. In the Uk they can be about $2000 a week which is what happened to my dad and we cannot pay this with a young family. We would hate to bring her out and then send her back to the UK as we cant pay her nursing fees. Is she entitled to care home funding on this visa if this was to eventually happen to her as a perm resident. We hope this doesnt happen but we want to be sure of the facts before bringing her with us. we are confused as to whether medicare entitlement means she also has care home funding or whether such funding is under centerlink which appears she doesnt ( although it is not mentioned on the AOS exclusions).

many thanks in advance for any help you can give on any of the points

laura