Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Canceling Visa to get Superannuation refund.

Canceling Visa to get Superannuation refund.

Old Oct 28th 2013, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

ginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the rough
Default Canceling Visa to get Superannuation refund.

I have moved to the USA and after leaving Australia I have sent in by email the form to get my 457 Cancelled thereby enabling me to claim back my Superannuation (less tax).

I got an automatic reply from the Department of Immigration saying they have my request and that they are currently dealing with requests from July 8th !!

Does it seriously take 3 months to get the visa cancelled ? Thats longer than it took to get it..

Problem is the Superannuation refund does not get executed until notification of cancelation is received.

Just wondered if anyone has any knowledge of the process and timetable.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

ginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Canceling Visa to get Superannuation refund.

If anyone has any info I would greatly appreciate it.

I just can't believe it takes 3 months to cancel the visa. And i wonder if i have incorrectly requested the cancellation.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 10:24 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ginstwin
If anyone has any info I would greatly appreciate it.

I just can't believe it takes 3 months to cancel the visa. And i wonder if i have incorrectly requested the cancellation.
If DIBP have said they are dealing with cancellations from July 8th why do you think that someone on here is going to tell you different.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
If DIBP have said they are dealing with cancellations from July 8th why do you think that someone on here is going to tell you different.
I really am asking if anyone has any experience or knows anyone who has gone through similar.

I guess i am concerned that my request to cancel the visa has gone to the incorrect area. The response from DIBP is an automatic reply .

I understood it to be a simple process but it seems it takes longer than the original application which is a bit strange.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 10:45 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ginstwin
I really am asking if anyone has any experience or knows anyone who has gone through similar.

I guess i am concerned that my request to cancel the visa has gone to the incorrect area. The response from DIBP is an automatic reply .

I understood it to be a simple process but it seems it takes longer than the original application which is a bit strange.
Whatever is happening now, and what happened before, are not the same. You could contact a MARA agent for help if you are concerned, or try emailing for an update, but I don't know who to email.

I do seem to recall a thread in the main forum a while ago that suggested the cancellation took a while after it was requested - that was probably a superannuation thread if you use search.
Old Nov 1st 2013, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

Whatever is happening now, and what happened before, are not the same. You could contact a MARA agent for help if you are concerned, or try emailing for an update, but I don't know who to email.

I do seem to recall a thread in the main forum a while ago that suggested the cancellation took a while after it was requested - that was probably a superannuation thread if you use search.
Thanks for the pointer.

Just read quite a few threads with varying answers. However it does seem like it takes quite a while.

I will keep this thread updated as and when i get news.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

tevta has a brilliant futuretevta has a brilliant futuretevta has a brilliant futuretevta has a brilliant futuretevta has a brilliant futuretevta has a brilliant future

It seems ridiculous to contact MARA agent for the refund as he may charge more than his refund money.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by tevta
It seems ridiculous to contact MARA agent for the refund as he may charge more than his refund money.
He wouldn't be contacted the agent for a refund - he would be getting advice on whether or not he has cancelled the visa correctly - and although I don't know how much agents charge, I doubt the advice he would need would be that expensive if it would alleviate any concerns that he has.
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

tevta has a brilliant futuretevta has a brilliant futuretevta has a brilliant futuretevta has a brilliant futuretevta has a brilliant futuretevta has a brilliant future

He wouldn't be contacted the agent for a refund - he would be getting advice on whether or not he has cancelled the visa correctly - and although I don't know how much agents charge, I doubt the advice he would need would be that expensive if it would alleviate any concerns that he has.
From friends I know the registered MARA agents charge somewhat between AUD 5k to 7k for taking up a single immigration case. However I don't have any idea how much they would charge for advice

This list may be of some help:
https://www.mara.gov.au/Consumer-Inf...-/default.aspx

Last edited by tevta; Nov 3rd 2013 at 5:57 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 2:43 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tevta
From friends I know the registered MARA agents charge somewhat between AUD 5k to 7k for taking up a single immigration case. However I don't have any idea how much they would charge for advice

This list may be of some help:
https://www.mara.gov.au/Consumer-Inf...-/default.aspx
Agents will charge different amounts depending on what they are engaged to do. So while a full visa application may cost $7k, a bit of advice on obtaining a visa cancellation would be a lot cheaper.
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

3 months waiting time. I submitted mine 2 months a go and still not herd anything..
Old Nov 4th 2013, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
3 months waiting time. I submitted mine 2 months a go and still not herd anything..

Looks like the same timeline.

I will keep this thread updated when i get news.

Superannuation is 10k plus so Its definitely something i am staying on top of where possible.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

You do know they will tax about 40% of it though yeah?
Old Nov 4th 2013, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
You do know they will tax about 40% of it though yeah?
Yes unfortunately. I think its 35% but still worth having!