British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Can you get a tourist visa right after your working holiday visa 417 finishes? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/can-you-get-tourist-visa-right-after-your-working-holiday-visa-417-finishes-926305/)

SLFin246 Jul 8th 2019 5:59 pm

Can you get a tourist visa right after your working holiday visa 417 finishes?

Hello everyone, I expect this topic has been covered elsewhere on here so apologies if it has. I have the working holiday 417 visa which expires at the end of January. I'd like to get the tourist visa for after my 417 finishes, so that I can stay another month/6 weeks to travel. Is this allowed?! Has anyone done this before and have any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Brenning Jul 17th 2019 4:25 am

Re: Can you get a tourist visa right after your working holiday visa 417 finishe

I'm in the same boat and it's something I'm looking into. From what I understand so far there's no reason why you couldn't as long as you can justify why you require it - though seeking professional advice is always recommended.

spouse of scouse Jul 17th 2019 5:00 am

Re: Can you get a tourist visa right after your working holiday visa 417 finishe

Originally Posted by SLFin246 (Post 12708113)
Hello everyone, I expect this topic has been covered elsewhere on here so apologies if it has. I have the working holiday 417 visa which expires at the end of January. I'd like to get the tourist visa for after my 417 finishes, so that I can stay another month/6 weeks to travel. Is this allowed?! Has anyone done this before and have any advice?

Thanks in advance.

The below information from Home Affairs may assist. It appears that holding a 417 visa and applying for a visitor visa subclass 600 (tourist stream) onshore to remain in Australia would only be successful if you can demonstrate exceptional circumstances, as granting the visa would mean you'd exceed the 'no more than 12 consecutive months' criteria.

Excerpt from information about applying for the visitor visa subclass 600 (tourist stream) onshore:
Stay longer than 12 consecutive months
Unless there are exceptional circumstances that allow grant of the visa, we will not grant you this visa if:Excerpt of information about 417 visa holders extending their stay in Australia:
Stay longer
You can't stay in Australia longer by extending this visa.

You could apply for a third Working Holiday visa if you are eligible (note that applicants for a third working holiday visa must have completed their regional work after 1 July 2019)

Explore your visa options to stay longer in Australia.
Stay longer on a visitor visa
Generally we don't grant a visitor visa after you have been in Australia on a Working Holiday visa.

If you want to apply for a Visitor visa to stay longer in Australia and the Visitor visa would result in you staying longer than 12 consecutive months in Australia, you must:
  • show there are exceptional circumstances
  • apply for a Visitor visa from outside Australia
For this visa, exceptional circumstances might be that a close family member in Australia has died or is seriously ill and you need to stay.
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...iday-417#About

SLFin246 Jul 17th 2019 12:12 pm

Thank you both! I'm wondering whether I have inadvertently worked the loophole in that I'm not in Australia currently, so I won't have been there for 12 consecutive months. I was in Australia January to June on the 417, but I'm now overseas for work commitments, so I wouldn't go back to Australia until October. My 417 expires end of January, then I'd just want to stay another month or two with the visitor visa.

I was actually looking at the 651 evisitor visa, does anyone know whether this is a better option than the 600? I'm planning to call the Australian High Commission in London at some point so I'll update this thread with anything I find out.

Pollyana Jul 17th 2019 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by SLFin246 (Post 12711366)
Thank you both! I'm wondering whether I have inadvertently worked the loophole in that I'm not in Australia currently, so I won't have been there for 12 consecutive months. I was in Australia January to June on the 417, but I'm now overseas for work commitments, so I wouldn't go back to Australia until October. My 417 expires end of January, then I'd just want to stay another month or two with the visitor visa.

I was actually looking at the 651 evisitor visa, does anyone know whether this is a better option than the 600? I'm planning to call the Australian High Commission in London at some point so I'll update this thread with anything I find out.

The High Commission will not give you any advice, its not their job. They are also known for giving unreliable info because they are only trained in the very basics, not the unusual questions.
You would be better contacting a registered migration agent.
The main thing you will need to overcome is the fact that the 417 is viewed as a visa primarily for tourism, but allowing you to work, so Immigration may take the view that you have had plenty of time for holidaying.

Paul Hand Jul 18th 2019 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by SLFin246 (Post 12711366)

‘You can’t apply for a 651 visa onshore - it is only for offshore applications. Obviously, don’t apply for one now as it will overwrite your WHV. It’s hard to predict what your chances of success for an onshore application for a 600 would be, but the break in the middle may improve your chances.

SLFin246 Jul 20th 2019 6:27 pm

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I'll look to speak to a migration expert. Am I right in thinking that I could apply for the 600 whilst in Aus? But for the 651 I'd need to go elsewhere, probably NZ?

Appreciate all the responses so far.