Wikiposts

Can you come home after validating visa?

Old Mar 23rd 2006, 8:25 am
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Can you come home after validating visa?

My wife and I are going on a Skilled Independant visa and we are getting mixed messages with regard to what you can and can't do after you have validated your visa.

Some people say you have to stay for 2 years as soon as you validate, then you can apply for an RRV (Resident Return Visa) which is valid for 5 years and you can go as and when you please. Plus you can only return home for extended periods providing you get the correct permission (holidays excluded).

Other people have told me that you can just fly over, validate, then come home and go when you're ready providing you spend 2 years out of the 5 after you validate in Oz?

The government website tends to lead me to believe the first way of thinking to be correct..... HELP PLEASE?
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 8:46 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you come home after validating visa?

Originally Posted by dave7370
My wife and I are going on a Skilled Independant visa and we are getting mixed messages with regard to what you can and can't do after you have validated your visa.

Some people say you have to stay for 2 years as soon as you validate, then you can apply for an RRV (Resident Return Visa) which is valid for 5 years and you can go as and when you please. Plus you can only return home for extended periods providing you get the correct permission (holidays excluded).

Other people have told me that you can just fly over, validate, then come home and go when you're ready providing you spend 2 years out of the 5 after you validate in Oz?

The government website tends to lead me to believe the first way of thinking to be correct..... HELP PLEASE?
You need to enter the country within one year of your police or medical checks to validate. You can then leave again if you want

Your visa should give you multiple entry rights for 5 years so you can come and go as you please.

You will need to clock up a certain amount of time in the country to get citizenship or, after the 5 years, to get a RRV. You do not need to spend 2 years out of the 5 in the country but you do need to live there for some time to get a RRV (whether this is during the 5 years or after).

Theoretically you could leave it until one day before your visa expires to start living there (providing you have validated) although you would be unwise to leave it that late.

G
Old Mar 24th 2006, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

brian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the rough

There was a thread on this just a couple days ago, do a search and you'll likely find it. Jeremy indicated that he thought that perhaps getting a "long term" (ie: 5 year) RRV would likely not be too much of an issue so long as you are "living" in Australia. This means that moving to Australia nearer to the end of the validity of the 5 year visa would not be as much of an issue. Also note that it looks like the residency requirements for Australian citizenship will be increasing to 3 years, so more people might be put in the position of needing RRVs anyway prior to citizenship.

Cheers,
Brian

Originally Posted by Grayling
You need to enter the country within one year of your police or medical checks to validate. You can then leave again if you want

Your visa should give you multiple entry rights for 5 years so you can come and go as you please.

You will need to clock up a certain amount of time in the country to get citizenship or, after the 5 years, to get a RRV. You do not need to spend 2 years out of the 5 in the country but you do need to live there for some time to get a RRV (whether this is during the 5 years or after).

Theoretically you could leave it until one day before your visa expires to start living there (providing you have validated) although you would be unwise to leave it that late.

G
Old Mar 24th 2006, 10:54 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian0
There was a thread on this just a couple days ago, do a search and you'll likely find it. Jeremy indicated that he thought that perhaps getting a "long term" (ie: 5 year) RRV would likely not be too much of an issue so long as you are "living" in Australia.

Form 968i contains an overview of the rules:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf

If you have 2 years in Australia as a PR in the 5 years before application for the RRV, they don't even look to see if you're "living" in Australia or not.

It's very important that people understand that the 5 years starts ticking as soon as the visa is *granted*, not when it's validated. And rules for temporary visas are different.