can you apply for visa while in Oz

Old Jul 31st 2008, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

shabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of light
Default can you apply for visa while in Oz

Hi there,
I have some friends who want to make the move to Australia. Is it possible for them to go on holiday and apply whilst there and just not come back to the UK.
Any info would be appreciated.
thanks
Shabee
x
Old Jul 31st 2008, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

helena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud of
Default Re: can you apply for visa while in Oz

Originally Posted by shabee
Hi there,
I have some friends who want to make the move to Australia. Is it possible for them to go on holiday and apply whilst there and just not come back to the UK.
thanks
Shabee
x
Hi,
As far as I know they can only apply outside of Australia. It may differ for different visa's but I am not positive on that. I am sure someone will have more info for you.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 7:26 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,
thanks
Shabee
x
What visa do they want to apply for?
Old Jul 31st 2008, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

shabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of light

They are going to be sponsored by a relative. But want to get over as soon as possible
Old Aug 1st 2008, 1:25 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

They are going to be sponsored by a relative. But want to get over as soon as possible
It's not really smart to uproot yourself and try to move to Australia as a tourist, if that's what you're asking.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for your replies. I know it would be madness for them to do it, but is it possible.

If not, any ideas what visa they would go on if their relative was to sponsor them. I think its 457 or something like that. Any Ideas?

Thanks Guy's
Shabee
x
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 2:30 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies. I know it would be madness for them to do it, but is it possible.

If not, any ideas what visa they would go on if their relative was to sponsor them. I think its 457 or something like that. Any Ideas?

Thanks Guy's
Shabee
x
A 457 visa is an employers sponsored business visa and is temporary.

Just because you have relatives in Australia who may be citizens who are prepared to sponsor you, this is not a visa application type in itself. It helps gain some points toward certain classes of visa to meet the required points threshold.

They would need to have a clearer understanding of what visa type they are eligible to apply for.

Most are off shore applications which means that you have to be out of the country at the time. Moving here on a tourist visa which is valid for 3 months under an ETA and 6 months otherwise for example. Its would be a stupid thing to do. You can't work, can't own a house, can't open bank accounts, can't pretty much do anything and I doubt DIAC would be too chuffed with the idea...
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 4:32 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
A 457 visa is an employers sponsored business visa and is temporary.

Just because you have relatives in Australia who may be citizens who are prepared to sponsor you, this is not a visa application type in itself. It helps gain some points toward certain classes of visa to meet the required points threshold.

They would need to have a clearer understanding of what visa type they are eligible to apply for.

Most are off shore applications which means that you have to be out of the country at the time. Moving here on a tourist visa which is valid for 3 months under an ETA and 6 months otherwise for example. Its would be a stupid thing to do. You can't work, can't own a house, can't open bank accounts, can't pretty much do anything and I doubt DIAC would be too chuffed with the idea...
OT a bit, but I can't help wondering if DIAC will one day clamp down somehow on the number of people who now move ehere on turist visas wile waiting for grants of longer term ones. ......it seems to be an increasing trend of people prepared to risk everything and come on ETAs or actual toursit visas, hoping for the best.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

elmao is on a distinguished road

A 176 visas allows you to be sponsored by an Australian relative (who is either a permanent resident or a citizen).

Are your friends under 30 with no dependents (children)? As then they could travel to Oz on a years working holiday visa which would be more practical than a tourist visa (allowed to work, except not an the same place for more than 6 months). The visa can even be extended to 2 years if you spend some time (3 months i think) doing seasonal fruit picking work.

You can apply for a 176 visa while in Australia, however it is an "offshore visa" so you must let the Dept. of immigration know that you are in Australia when you apply. You will be asked to depart Australia while your visas is being granted. (We are just going through this process now, we received a "pre-grant" email telling us to depart Australia last week and are flying to New Zealand for a few days so that the visas can be granted on Monday morning).
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 4:03 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
OT a bit, but I can't help wondering if DIAC will one day clamp down somehow on the number of people who now move ehere on turist visas wile waiting for grants of longer term ones. ......it seems to be an increasing trend of people prepared to risk everything and come on ETAs or actual toursit visas, hoping for the best.
There is nothing wrong with people coming to Australia as tourists on ETAs if they have a PR application in the system provided that:

1. They are prepared to accept that they cannot extend their tourist stay if their PR is not granted on time; and
2. They accept tourist restrictions, eg no work, healthcare, schooling etc; and
3. They are prepared to go home if their PR application is refused.

It can be harder to get a regular tourist visa (as distinct from an ETA) if there is a PR application pending. There are some exceptions for parent visa applicants (or at least, there used to be).
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 3:53 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
There are some exceptions for parent visa applicants (or at least, there used to be).
I think there still is then. My MIL has only just obtained her Con Parent Visa and was holing out here on a tourist 6 month visa. She was quite up front about it to DIAC and it was granted no worries.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Right ok, thanks for all the replies.

I am going to speak to them today and tell them all you have said. They are husband/wife and 3 kids.

He is a plasterer to trade but has been away from it for years so not sure how he would stand with 176 visa.
I think an email to George Lombard is called for. ( apologies if name spelt wrong George)

Ta again!
Love
Shabee
x
Old Aug 5th 2008, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

jamiefrod will become famous soon enoughjamiefrod will become famous soon enough

I arrive on a WHV, changed to a sponsored 457 while I had an application for a 175 skilled visa in process, so I wouldn't worry about being in oz when applying or awaiting a decision
Old Aug 5th 2008, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

lovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the rough

Is it easier to find an employer that is willing to sponsor you for 457 if you are in Australia? I have written to so many agencies and all of them said to write back when I am in Australia and have a valid working visa. I'm wondering if I should just take the risk (pack up and leave to stay with my aunt in Perth on an ETA) and look for someone who can sponsor me on 457 and meanwhile apply for 176.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

roxyinitalia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lovelyshine
Is it easier to find an employer that is willing to sponsor you for 457 if you are in Australia? I have written to so many agencies and all of them said to write back when I am in Australia and have a valid working visa. I'm wondering if I should just take the risk (pack up and leave to stay with my aunt in Perth on an ETA) and look for someone who can sponsor me on 457 and meanwhile apply for 176.
We are still waiting to hear about our employer sponsorship (nothing granted as yet) and have decided to just go to Australia. Me on a WHV and my OH was granted a Visitors Visa for 12mnths. Its a risk we are willing to take and can afford to take.

cheers