Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Can Work Experience be in a different occupation than Nominated Occupation/Skills

Wikiposts

Can Work Experience be in a different occupation than Nominated Occupation/Skills

Old Jan 22nd 2009, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

apobateman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can Work Experience be in a different occupation than Nominated Occupation/Skills

Hi all - first post - on something I can't seem to find an answer on anywhere else so thought I would try here before possibly looking at an agency. I am going to apply for a 176 Family sponsored visa. My nominated occupation is a Secondary teacher and I have had a skills assessment completed by the appropriate authority. However, I haven't taught for 10 years. I have been working as an IT Systems Analyst which is also on the SOL and my work experience references will be for this role. According to the DIAC site, my recent Work Experience needs to be on the SOL - it doesn't say it must be in the same role as my Nominated Occupation. Presumably I don't need to also obtain a skills assement for my Work Experience position.

I'd be grateful for any further clarification on this please. Thanks!
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can Work Experience be in a different occupation than Nominated Occupation/Skills

Originally Posted by apobateman
Hi all - first post - on something I can't seem to find an answer on anywhere else so thought I would try here before possibly looking at an agency. I am going to apply for a 176 Family sponsored visa. My nominated occupation is a Secondary teacher and I have had a skills assessment completed by the appropriate authority. However, I haven't taught for 10 years. I have been working as an IT Systems Analyst which is also on the SOL and my work experience references will be for this role. According to the DIAC site, my recent Work Experience needs to be on the SOL - it doesn't say it must be in the same role as my Nominated Occupation. Presumably I don't need to also obtain a skills assement for my Work Experience position.

I'd be grateful for any further clarification on this please. Thanks!
Hi

Nothing wrong with a completely different skilled experience to the nominated occupation - this is usually done where it is difficult or impossible to get a successful skills assessment in your occupation e.g. overseas trained lawyer -the lawyer then nominates a 50 point VETASSESS occupation and claims the skilled experience as a Lawyer.

When this is done, the main consideration for DIAC is assessing whether the experience is "skilled" for migration purposes. To do this, they look up their ASCO dictionary which, for computer professionals, states a 3 year relevant degree is required OR 5 years relevant on-the-job training. As you have no IT degree, the first 5 years of your IT experience is taken as your training period and only experience after this could possibly be assessed as "skilled" for migration purposes. They would then look at your career path and duties and satisfy themselves that your duties are consistant with the skill level of a computer professional. Also helping your case is that you could probably get through the ACS as you would need 6 years of relevant IT experience for that but it also involves an RPL application and project reports - to be avoided if you can.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old Jan 25th 2009, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Can Work Experience be in a different occupation than Nominated Occupation/Skills

Thank you for clarifying this Tony - most appreciated. This certainly helpms me in structuring my reference properly and if the worst comes to the worst, maybe i will go back to teaching for 12 months and try and get the points that way. Thank you!
Old Apr 8th 2009, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

Since my previous post, I have taken some advice from an agent locally regarding having a skills assessment in one area (for me, a teacher) and work experience in another area (eg IT systems manager). His advice is that it is unlikely to result in a successful application because I haven't had an skills assessment in IT, and that the easiest route would be to go and teach for a year and then apply. I don't particularly want to leave my current job and teach at this stage so i think I will still submit an application. My references for recent and specific work experience are fairly detailed and go back 10 years as an IT systems manager. The other option is that I apply for RPL with the ACS and go down that route. Its never easy....
Old Apr 8th 2009, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

chrissy990 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll be interested to hear how you get on. My Hubby is going through skills assessment as a chef but recent work experience as a computer support technician and we have been told it should be ok.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by welshtony
Hi

Nothing wrong with a completely different skilled experience to the nominated occupation - this is usually done where it is difficult or impossible to get a successful skills assessment in your occupation e.g. overseas trained lawyer -the lawyer then nominates a 50 point VETASSESS occupation and claims the skilled experience as a Lawyer.

When this is done, the main consideration for DIAC is assessing whether the experience is "skilled" for migration purposes. To do this, they look up their ASCO dictionary which, for computer professionals, states a 3 year relevant degree is required OR 5 years relevant on-the-job training. As you have no IT degree, the first 5 years of your IT experience is taken as your training period and only experience after this could possibly be assessed as "skilled" for migration purposes. They would then look at your career path and duties and satisfy themselves that your duties are consistant with the skill level of a computer professional. Also helping your case is that you could probably get through the ACS as you would need 6 years of relevant IT experience for that but it also involves an RPL application and project reports - to be avoided if you can.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896

It seems every answer throws up a new question for me Do I need to get a skills assessment carried out by the ACS just to satisfy my work experience piece and "prove" that my work experience is from an occupation on the SOL, despite having a skills assessment as a teacher - or should detailed references alone provide enough information for the DIAC to determine whether or not my recent and specific work experience is or is not on the SOL? Thank you in advance.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by apobateman
Since my previous post, I have taken some advice from an agent locally regarding having a skills assessment in one area (for me, a teacher) and work experience in another area (eg IT systems manager). His advice is that it is unlikely to result in a successful application because I haven't had an skills assessment in IT, and that the easiest route would be to go and teach for a year and then apply. I don't particularly want to leave my current job and teach at this stage so i think I will still submit an application. My references for recent and specific work experience are fairly detailed and go back 10 years as an IT systems manager. The other option is that I apply for RPL with the ACS and go down that route. Its never easy....
With respect, this local agent is talking complete rubbish - recognised skilled experience is not required to be assessed by the relevant assessing body - if it is not, then the onus is on your to demonstrate that the experience is indeed "skilled". According to DIAC guidelines, in assessing whether experience is "skilled" or not, they will first consult ASCO to check the skill level for the occupation - IT Degree or 5 years relevant experience for IT professional. So, without an IT degree you would need to show the last 6 years (5 plus 1) relevant IT experience to claim 12 months in last 24 months as "skilled" and the last 8 years relevant IT experience to claim 5 points for 3 years in the last 4 years as "skilled".

Don't take my word for it, get a second opinion from an experienced MARA Registered agent - it is not clear from your post whether your "local" agent would fit this bill.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
www.visabureau.com
Old Apr 15th 2009, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

lucben is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by welshtony
With respect, this local agent is talking complete rubbish - recognised skilled experience is not required to be assessed by the relevant assessing body - if it is not, then the onus is on your to demonstrate that the experience is indeed "skilled". According to DIAC guidelines, in assessing whether experience is "skilled" or not, they will first consult ASCO to check the skill level for the occupation - IT Degree or 5 years relevant experience for IT professional. So, without an IT degree you would need to show the last 6 years (5 plus 1) relevant IT experience to claim 12 months in last 24 months as "skilled" and the last 8 years relevant IT experience to claim 5 points for 3 years in the last 4 years as "skilled".

Don't take my word for it, get a second opinion from an experienced MARA Registered agent - it is not clear from your post whether your "local" agent would fit this bill.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
www.visabureau.com
Hi Tony,

I have a similar concern and I would like to know if you agree with my understanding. It seems to me that there can be 3 different requirements regarding the work experience:
  1. The work experience requirements from the assessing authority for a skills assessment. (ASC, IEAust,VETassess,...)
  2. The requirements to be at a "skill level" from the Australian Skills Recognition Information (ASRI)
  3. The requirements of DIAC about the recent work experience (12 months out of 24)

Correct me if I am wrong but this is applicable only if you have a skill assessment different of your work experience, like in this case with apobateman (and possibly mine).

I already have a skill assessment, but would you have recommendations of agents that could help me determine what ASCO code correspond my work experience?

Thanks
LB