Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Can u give me esmitate of chances of PR if I start IT studies in TAS now?

Can u give me esmitate of chances of PR if I start IT studies in TAS now?

Old Jun 6th 2013, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can u give me esmitate of chances of PR if I start IT studies in TAS now?

Originally Posted by fiftyeight
Hi, can you point me to where they write the explanation for why a certain occupation is flagged?
As im on my phone no. However if you look, in particular at the deewr submission there is information in there from recollection. It does start to get in depth so will take some reading to even start to understand.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can u give me esmitate of chances of PR if I start IT studies in TAS now?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Few years back - as Pumpkin Blossom will know - we used to see loads of people coming over on trades like hairdressing - landscape gardening is the other that was popular, and at one time we even had a fair few people studying shipbuilding - they could all get sponsorship easily at the end of their courses. And even electricians, plumbers, carpenters, they could all get sponsorship back in the day. Then things changed, almost overnight. Pumpkin Blossom is one of those who was stranded with their long-term planned pathway removed.
Starkly different now, IT people still seem to have it good, though i do wonder for how long. The removal of Hospital and retail pharmacists from the SOL is a bit of a wake-up as I think thats always been seen as a "safe" way in. Even nurses are now finding it tougher to get sponsors and more are having to make their way here on independent skills, or family, visas. Big changes - which I think a lot of us hardly notice as they happen, but looking back over the years I've been watching it, the whole immigration "game" is so different now
I couldn't have put it better myself. ;-)

There have been news articles talking about tafes loosing students with the changes and how many people are now studying IT to get visas. As soon as it begins to be mentioned on tv people notice and demand action.... As happened with the trades.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

fiftyeight is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm starting to think my chances are very low
pretty depressing, but what can you do
Old Jun 12th 2013, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

fiftyeight is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
I couldn't have put it better myself. ;-)

There have been news articles talking about tafes loosing students with the changes and how many people are now studying IT to get visas. As soon as it begins to be mentioned on tv people notice and demand action.... As happened with the trades.
Can you plz point me to any of those articles?
Old Jun 13th 2013, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I meant news articles (should maybe have used the word stories?) on tv, hence the comment about once it's on tv. It could have been any of the channels, or maybe Adelaide tonight? This was a little while ago, so I don't remember exactly. You might find something if you google.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 8:58 am
Just Joined

depende is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fiftyeight
I know it's a weird question.
I'm trying to decide whether to go to Oz or Canada for IT degree.
In Canada I most prob. will have a route to PR after.
But I prefer Oz for the climate (yes it is that important to me), in Canada I am pretty much limited to living in some specific places in BC as far as places I'd actually want to live.
Still Canada PR still has value to me and I do like Canada as well.

Anyhow if only I had some way of estimating my chance of actually getting PR in the future if I go to Oz it will make my life a lot easier.

I am going to do a Bachelor of Computing or a Bachelor of Science with major in IT.
I am going to University of Tasmania which is a regional area.
Study is 3 years.
Who knows what will be in the end of 3 years.
Presumably I'll get a graduate temporary visa

Then, If the visa rules stay the same as they are now I can do:
489 visa Skilled - Nominated or Sponsored (Provisional) - TAS government sponsors you if you have occupation on SOL, if you have occupation in CSOL it will sponsor you as off-list nominee. If this works I will almost surely get PR with the 190 Visa, TAS government also sponsors for this if you work there 3 months.
189 visa - Skilled Independent (subclass 189) - If can't find work in TAS (IMO with 489 visa I can do any sort of work, doesn't have to be in IT) but do find IT work somewhere else I can apply for this after 1 year. According to my calculation I should get at least 70 points with the current system. If I manage to get IELTS 8 it'll be 80 but that can be pretty hard AFAIK. Maybe also possible to do professional year but not sure if that year counts as part of my graduate visa and then I won't have enough time left to find work and work for a year (assuming graduate visa is 2 years)

I know this is loads of info, but maybe some migration agent will see this and have enough experience to give me an estimate of my chances of getting PR.

Assume I am good at IT and will get good grades in my studies.

Thank you
Hi fiftyeight

We are in the same boat

I'll start a master course next year. After my degree I'll apply first for the 485 visa and then for 189 or 190. I know that in 3 years many things could be change. It is a risk. But If you don't try it you will never know if you would be successful

I have more than 10 years work experience. After my graduation I calculated that I have 12 different ways to get a PR. It is important that with your degree you could choose more than one occupation in the SOL or CSOL list.

And if I can't get a PR I'll try to get a 457. If not maybe to get again a student visa and do a PHD. In my worst case scenario I'll go back in my country. After a master and a few years international work experience I'll get a good job position in my country.

I hope I could help you a bit to find your decsion

Last edited by depende; Jun 20th 2013 at 9:06 am.