Wikiposts

Can PhD raise basic points from SOL ?

Old Oct 13th 2004, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

Edden is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can PhD raise basic points from SOL ?

I`ve just looked to Skill points.

For example Physicist is 50 points, so that maximum for specific work expirience is 5 points. That means maximum 55 on this.

But what about having PhD i specific area of Physics ? Does this possibly counts any extra points in SOL and thus by achieving 60 automaticaly 10 extra for work expirience in total 70 well over passmark ?

tia
Old Oct 13th 2004, 1:25 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can PhD raise basic points from SOL ?

Originally Posted by Edden
I`ve just looked to Skill points.

For example Physicist is 50 points, so that maximum for specific work expirience is 5 points. That means maximum 55 on this.

But what about having PhD i specific area of Physics ? Does this possibly counts any extra points in SOL and thus by achieving 60 automaticaly 10 extra for work expirience in total 70 well over passmark ?

tia
Only an Australian PhD can make any difference for general skilled.

If you have an overseas PhD and can't get the points, you should be looking for an employer in Australia who needs your skills and can sponsor for employer nomination (ENS/RSMS). Requirements for these visas do not include a points test.

Jeremy
Old Oct 13th 2004, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Only an Australian PhD can make any difference for general skilled.

If you have an overseas PhD and can't get the points, you should be looking for an employer in Australia who needs your skills and can sponsor for employer nomination (ENS/RSMS). Requirements for these visas do not include a points test.

Jeremy
Thank You JAJ for such a quick response !

Now I am getting more clear picture of GSM and some alternatives. Still something is not clear to me. On page 33 of Booklet 6 it is statet that: "...when making your assesment remember that either you or your spouse must meet the passmark individualy"

Now, what is not clear to me is when I will recieve my extra 5 points, if my wife meets passmark with say 120 and me with 120, both of us, and than we add 5 for spouse ? But if we both have passed the passmark why do we need any extra ???
Old Oct 13th 2004, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

iFAQ 58.: Do I need to meet the basic requirements if I pass the points test?

Yes. All skilled visa applicants must meet their subclasses' basic requirements. The basic requirements exist separately from the points test. Failure to meet the basic requirements for the visa subclass that you applied for will mean instant rejection.

------------------

So when do I add 5 for spouse after she meets basic requirements or she got passmark ?

One question. It seems to me that I might be a little bit short for GSM perhaps enough for GSM regional, still I don`t get what one IT and one physician would do in Australian desert for 2 years.

ENS seems another alternative to me but that meens that my spouse would need to find someone who will enable her to work as PhD Physicist. Maybe is cleaver to go through initation of distinguished professor. Does anyone knows something about that ? I think that my wife and I have somewhat scattered possibilities rather then focused ones ! Problem is that my wife is higly connected to the Scientific Institutions because of her job.
Old Oct 13th 2004, 11:40 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

iFAQ 58.: Do I need to meet the basic requirements if I pass the points test?

Yes. All skilled visa applicants must meet their subclasses' basic requirements. The basic requirements exist separately from the points test. Failure to meet the basic requirements for the visa subclass that you applied for will mean instant rejection.

------------------

So when do I add 5 for spouse after she meets basic requirements or she got passmark ?

If your spouse meets the *basic* requirements for migration in her own right (all of them, not just a skill assessment) then spouse points can be claimed.

Or the spouse could be the main applicant and maybe you could contribute the spouse points.

One question. It seems to me that I might be a little bit short for GSM perhaps enough for GSM regional, still I don`t get what one IT and one physician would do in Australian desert for 2 years.
What on earth do you mean by 'Australian desert'? You don't let the facts get in the way of the dramatic statement, do you?

Lots of regional centres are eligible for SIR, including Adelaide and Hobart. Hardly the desert.

ENS seems another alternative to me but that meens that my spouse would need to find someone who will enable her to work as PhD Physicist. Maybe is cleaver to go through initation of distinguished professor. Does anyone knows something about that ? I think that my wife and I have somewhat scattered possibilities rather then focused ones ! Problem is that my wife is higly connected to the Scientific Institutions because of her job.
She needs to find an employer keen to hire her if she wants to go for ENS. That does mean doing some research, legwork etc - and such employers are unlikely to be found on this forum.

Jeremy
Old Oct 14th 2004, 2:27 am
Just Joined

I`ve just double checked our points and it seems that mine maximum would be 120 and hers 110. But of course there have to be many paperwork and there is always a possibility to loose some points. But also there is possibility that passmark will be lowered !

JAJ, we are evaluating our case but it is five year plan. May be many things will change but it is good to see any possibility and choose the best. Now we shall carefuly consider ENS which might be the best solution.

Some observations:

In GSM but sponsored I have seen many requirements that your sponsor have to fullfil. However, there is no possibility to sponsor yourself or to find non family member as a sponsor ? I mean, if someone is going to Australia probably he would sell everything and go there with couple of thousands of euros ! What If I meet some Australian who is willing to support me ?

Before going into this I`ve thought that Australia is in more need for immigrants. The fact about refugee program is making all this plain pathetic. Those refugees would never meet any criteria but are treated almost as Australians in need. In some way Australia is showing selfishness wanting all the best for its society, economy, prestige; on the other hand is playing Mother Theresa.
Old Oct 14th 2004, 10:41 am
JAJ
Retired

I`ve just double checked our points and it seems that mine maximum would be 120 and hers 110. But of course there have to be many paperwork and there is always a possibility to loose some points. But also there is possibility that passmark will be lowered !
Any kind of migration application is going to involve paperwork.

There is no chance the pass mark for mainstream skilled independent will be lowered - if DIMIA need to make things easier for some people they will likely give more opportunities to score points, not reduce the 120 target.

If you think you're eligible for migration, and want to migrate, there's no time like the present to apply. Rules may be different later. If the paperwork daunts you - hire a good migration agent who will guide you through the process step by step.

In GSM but sponsored I have seen many requirements that your sponsor have to fullfil. However, there is no possibility to sponsor yourself or to find non family member as a sponsor ? I mean, if someone is going to Australia probably he would sell everything and go there with couple of thousands of euros ! What If I meet some Australian who is willing to support me ?
For Family Stream or General Skilled Sponsored migration you need a family link to Australia. What type of link depends on the visa involved. This is non-negotiable.

Before going into this I`ve thought that Australia is in more need for immigrants. The fact about refugee program is making all this plain pathetic. Those refugees would never meet any criteria but are treated almost as Australians in need. In some way Australia is showing selfishness wanting all the best for its society, economy, prestige; on the other hand is playing Mother Theresa.
Those selected as humanitarian migrants do not generally contribute to the economy, on average. At least in the early years. Australia takes in humanitarian migrants because it's the right thing to do.

Skilled migrants on average do contribute to the economy, while the economic balance sheet for family migrants (mostly spouses) is neutral - some have good skills, others don't.

Jeremy
Old Oct 14th 2004, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

(Un)fortunately we can go right now into application process because we took some loan from the bank and have commitments, but it`s a good idea to collect informations. This primary investigation and especialy your guidelines helped me to see our chances.