British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Can a nurse certify documents for TRA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/can-nurse-certify-documents-tra-405946/)

gray Nov 3rd 2006 7:33 pm

Can a nurse certify documents for TRA

Hi there, Could someone please tell me whether a nurse can certify a copy of my passport, reference e.t.c.. required for the TRA. If so, what would she have to write for the declaration, and should she include the date ?
Thanks, Gray

Dorothy Nov 3rd 2006 9:08 pm

Re: Can a nurse certify documents for TRA

Originally Posted by gray
Hi there, Could someone please tell me whether a nurse can certify a copy of my passport, reference e.t.c.. required for the TRA. If so, what would she have to write for the declaration, and should she include the date ?
Thanks, Gray

Short answer...No.

acbh2 Nov 4th 2006 9:31 am

Originally Posted by gray
Thanks, Gray

Strictly speaking YES according to Dimia website any one who is authorised to sign official documents in your country of recidence can certify your documents. For us this would be people deemed by UK passport office. See following link nurses are on it. However I never used a nurse so maybe someone who has can help more. Know of people using police officers and they are also on this list:

http://www.passport.gov.uk/passport_countersign.asp

"I confirm this to be a true copy of the original"

is what we put on our docs along with the date. We just had positive back put it was not with TRA but NIA (OH an accountant)

Andrea
xx

Just thought I'd add this from DIMIA website

Certified documents
Do not supply original documents with your application unless asked to do so. If an original document is required at any stage, the department will ask for it. Please note that police checks are the exception. You must provide original police checks.

You should provide 'certified copies' of original documents.

'Certified copies' are copies authorised, or stamped as being true copies of originals, by a person or agency recognised by the law of the country in which you currently reside.

All departmental offices outside Australia have the facility to certify or witness documents and statutory declarations if necessary; this service may attract a charge.

Alan Collett Nov 4th 2006 10:40 am

Actually, no ... in the UK a Nurse is not recognised as a person who can certify a document as a true copy of the original.

Whether the Australian DIMA will accept a UK qualified Nurse certifying documents is a different matter. Personally, I'd not take the chance of the certified docs being refused - engage a solicitor or JP.

Best regards.

Originally Posted by acbh2
Strictly speaking YES according to Dimia website any one who is authorised to sign official documents in your country of recidence can certify your documents. For us this would be people deemed by UK passport office. See following link nurses are on it. However I never used a nurse so maybe someone who has can help more. Know of people using police officers and they are also on this list:

http://www.passport.gov.uk/passport_countersign.asp

"I confirm this to be a true copy of the original"

is what we put on our docs along with the date. We just had positive back put it was not with TRA but NIA (OH an accountant)

Andrea
xx

Just thought I'd add this from DIMIA website

Certified documents
Do not supply original documents with your application unless asked to do so. If an original document is required at any stage, the department will ask for it. Please note that police checks are the exception. You must provide original police checks.

You should provide 'certified copies' of original documents.

'Certified copies' are copies authorised, or stamped as being true copies of originals, by a person or agency recognised by the law of the country in which you currently reside.

All departmental offices outside Australia have the facility to certify or witness documents and statutory declarations if necessary; this service may attract a charge.

Clan Fortune Nov 4th 2006 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Actually, no ... in the UK a Nurse is not recognised as a person who can certify a document as a true copy of the original.

Whether the Australian DIMA will accept a UK qualified Nurse certifying documents is a different matter. Personally, I'd not take the chance of the certified docs being refused - engage a solicitor or JP.

Best regards.

what you have got to remember is a nurse is no different to a bus driver or a street sweeper or any other profession in the uk, thats why it must be a jp or a lawyer.

gray Nov 4th 2006 2:45 pm

Thanks for the reply's guy's . I will make an appointment to see a lawyer or JP next week. Cheer's, Gray.