Wikiposts

Can My Mum Come Too

Old Oct 30th 2005, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

debi-jane is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Can My Mum Come Too

hi, hope you can help.

I am currently living in South Australia (loving it by the way). My brother is intending on joining us within the next couple of years on a subclass 139 visa.

This then leaves our mum behind, so my brother wont emigrate unless she can come too , which i totally agree with.

What are our options of getting mum here too? she is 65 and single.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance
debi-jane
Old Oct 30th 2005, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can My Mum Come Too

Originally Posted by debi-jane
hi, hope you can help.

I am currently living in South Australia (loving it by the way). My brother is intending on joining us within the next couple of years on a subclass 139 visa.

This then leaves our mum behind, so my brother wont emigrate unless she can come too , which i totally agree with.

thanks in advance
debi-jane
As far as I understand if over 50% of her offspring are living there that entitles her to one of the visas (don't know which one). My parents in law are planning to apply for that one too. Also there's some sort of last remaining relative thing as well, so if she'll be on her own when your brother goes that will apply too, but I'm not sure if, say, your mum's brother is still there, if that then invalidates it.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

happymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud of

hi, hope you can help.

thanks in advance
debi-jane
Hi Debi-jane

We are also wanting to get my mom over (also 65, also single) after we've gone cos then we'll have the balance of family. Because we haven't even got our visa yet I haven't actually looked in to getting hers yet, so can't help you there. Just wanted to say that regarding your brother going on a 139 visa, I've read some threads that this visa subclass is ending soon, so if he hasn't already applied, do a search here to find out more. Best for him to apply sooner rather than later, or go on a different subclass.

Good luck with everything!
Old Oct 30th 2005, 10:15 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzimc
As far as I understand if over 50% of her offspring are living there that entitles her to one of the visas (don't know which one). My parents in law are planning to apply for that one too.
Contributory Parent. There's plenty of information on the DIMIA website.
And it's *at least* 50% rather than *over* 50%

Also there's some sort of last remaining relative thing as well, so if she'll be on her own when your brother goes that will apply too, but I'm not sure if, say, your mum's brother is still there, if that then invalidates it.
A child cannot sponsor a parent as a remaining relative. Contributory Parent is the visa to look at instead.

Contributory Parent requires that you be 'settled' in order to sponsor (usually 2 years). There's also a mandatory Assurance of Support, so bear this in mind especially if planning to sponsor for another sponsored visa as well (the contributory parent AOS lasts 10 years, and you can only assure 2 adults at any one time). There are also specific income requirements for AOS.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Oct 30th 2005 at 10:18 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 10:19 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

hi, hope you can help.

Is the 139 visa his only option? In other words, does he also qualify for 138?

If 139 is his only visa option, is he aware that for *new* applicants DIMIA will close this visa in early to mid 2006 (probably 1 July but maybe sooner) and replace it with a temporary visa with some significant restrictions?

Jeremy
Old Oct 31st 2005, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

debi-jane is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Is the 139 visa his only option? In other words, does he also qualify for 138?

If 139 is his only visa option, is he aware that for *new* applicants DIMIA will close this visa in early to mid 2006 (probably 1 July but maybe sooner) and replace it with a temporary visa with some significant restrictions?

Jeremy
hi Jeremy, thanks for your response. My brother's skill is on the SOL, he is now 40, so loses 5 points and his spouse is just a housewife. Ive only been here 6 weeks. So we thought by the time he got his TRA done and passed , id be here almost a year, then we can sponsor.

Dont know about 138, perhaps you can enlighten.

thanks debi-jane
Old Oct 31st 2005, 12:43 pm
JAJ
Retired

hi Jeremy, thanks for your response. My brother's skill is on the SOL, he is now 40, so loses 5 points and his spouse is just a housewife. Ive only been here 6 weeks. So we thought by the time he got his TRA done and passed , id be here almost a year, then we can sponsor.

Dont know about 138, perhaps you can enlighten.
If you've only been in Australia 6 weeks it's not just a question of sponsorship. Someone will need to do the Assurance of Support for which you need 2 years tax returns showing eligible income.

For information on the 138 visa (Skilled Australian Sponsored), and on sponsorship issues, download and read the Skilled Migration Booklet (booklet 6):
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/books_migrate.htm

This is a "must read" for any aspiring skilled migrant or sponsor. Is STNI an option? (again, details in the booklet).

And if you plan to sponsor a parent as well then you really do need good professional advice.

Jeremy