Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Can mum be included as dependent family member?

Wikiposts

Can mum be included as dependent family member?

Old May 1st 2007, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

perz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can mum be included as dependent family member?

Hi I'm PR and going to support my sister and mum to live here. I just wonder that if it's possible to include my mum to my sister application as 'other dependent family member' using 47A form? is it possible to do so? if possible then what subclass my mum visa will be?
i've known that to apply a visa for parent you have to wait in queue for ten years or have to pay 30K!
Old May 1st 2007, 11:25 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can mum be included as dependent family member?

Originally Posted by perz
Hi I'm PR and going to support my sister and mum to live here. I just wonder that if it's possible to include my mum to my sister application as 'other dependent family member' using 47A form? is it possible to do so? if possible then what subclass my mum visa will be?
In theory yes but you then have to prove your mother is completely dependent financially on your sister. A very difficult argument to win,and if you do win, they will refuse the whole application if your mother does not meet health criteria.

What visa are you sponsoring your sister for?
Old May 2nd 2007, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
In theory yes but you then have to prove your mother is completely dependent financially on your sister. A very difficult argument to win,and if you do win, they will refuse the whole application if your mother does not meet health criteria.

What visa are you sponsoring your sister for?
skilled off shore - australian sponsored. I think it's subclass 138?
if that's hard, there's no chance to win then how can i prove my mum is completely dependent on my sis?

btw, here's my sister details, if it's help for suggestions.
- she completed Bachelor of Science: Botany major - I'll have her skill assessed as Botanist : 50pts
- Age 33 yrs : 25pts
- English - IELTS band score 5 : 15 pts
- Bonus points - Community Language : 5pts
- Relationship - me sponsor : 15 pts
= total : 110 pts
she could make it with this points, couldn't she?
now the problem is my mum...

Last edited by perz; May 2nd 2007 at 1:55 am.
Old May 2nd 2007, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

skilled off shore - australian sponsored. I think it's subclass 138?
if that's hard, there's no chance to win then how can i prove my mum is completely dependent on my sis?

btw, here's my sister details, if it's help for suggestions.
- she completed Bachelor of Science: Botany major - I'll have her skill assessed as Botanist : 50pts
- Age 33 yrs : 25pts
- English - IELTS band score 5 : 15 pts
- Bonus points - Community Language : 5pts
- Relationship - me sponsor : 15 pts
= total : 110 pts
she could make it with this points, couldn't she?
now the problem is my mum...
Band score of 5 in IELTS does not necessarily score 15 points - needs to be at least 5 in each of the four categories. If she has worked as a botanist for 3 out of the last 4 years for 20hours per week or more, then it looks good for the 110 points.

As for your mother, as well as proving financial dependency on your sister, she would also have to be widowed and "usually resident" in your sister's household. In countries where the state does not provide pensions for the aged, financial dependency could demontsrated a bit easier but, as JAJ says, if you claim her as dependent and she fails the medical, none of the family will get visas.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old May 2nd 2007, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by welshtony
Band score of 5 in IELTS does not necessarily score 15 points - needs to be at least 5 in each of the four categories. If she has worked as a botanist for 3 out of the last 4 years for 20hours per week or more, then it looks good for the 110 points.

As for your mother, as well as proving financial dependency on your sister, she would also have to be widowed and "usually resident" in your sister's household. In countries where the state does not provide pensions for the aged, financial dependency could demontsrated a bit easier but, as JAJ says, if you claim her as dependent and she fails the medical, none of the family will get visas.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896

my sister hasn't worked as botanist. She's running her own business which is not about botany at all. But she doesn't need work experiences to get 50 pts, does she? only who claiming 60pts that need to show work experiences, isn't it? my mum is not widowed but my dad doesn't work for years, he have health problem. In Thailand where my mum is, we don't have any pension, nothing from government and everything depends on the children to take care of the aged. I know it's still hard to prove and if im going to claim her as dependent i should better get her health check first to make sure she won't fails the medical. Please correct me if i misunderstand anything.
Old May 2nd 2007, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

i've known that to apply a visa for parent you have to wait in queue for ten years or have to pay 30K!
Better way forward possibly is to get sister over to Aus then look at balance of family, if mum has no other kids in country she resides in then could get over to Aus. Seems less risky!
Old May 2nd 2007, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Better way forward possibly is to get sister over to Aus then look at balance of family, if mum has no other kids in country she resides in then could get over to Aus. Seems less risky!
yes i know it's risky my mum have only 2 children which is me and my sister. I just don't want to wait in queue for 10 years to get her here, and it's hard to get 30k +10k bond for the faster way.
Old May 2nd 2007, 12:24 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

my sister hasn't worked as botanist. She's running her own business which is not about botany at all. But she doesn't need work experiences to get 50 pts, does she? only who claiming 60pts that need to show work experiences, isn't it?
Totally wrong, sorry. Strongly recommend a read of the Skilled Migration Booklet.

my mum is not widowed but my dad doesn't work for years, he have health problem. In Thailand where my mum is, we don't have any pension, nothing from government and everything depends on the children to take care of the aged. I know it's still hard to prove and if im going to claim her as dependent i should better get her health check first to make sure she won't fails the medical. Please correct me if i misunderstand anything.
If she is still married you generally can't claim her as a dependent. The only real option is likely to be a Contributory Parent visa, but your father's health will be taken into account for that.
Old May 2nd 2007, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Totally wrong, sorry. Strongly recommend a read of the Skilled Migration Booklet.

If she is still married you generally can't claim her as a dependent. The only real option is likely to be a Contributory Parent visa, but your father's health will be taken into account for that.

my father won't come with me, only my mum and my sister. Will his health still be taken into account ?
Old May 2nd 2007, 2:29 pm
JAJ
Retired

my father won't come with me, only my mum and my sister. Will his health still be taken into account ?
Yes - sorry. Unless he was deceased or your parents permanently divorced.

But why on earth would your parents want to be separated like that anyway?
Old May 3rd 2007, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Yes - sorry. Unless he was deceased or your parents permanently divorced.

But why on earth would your parents want to be separated like that anyway?
he's happy to stay there with his relatives though. And actually they are separated but still live in the same house, i think it's just asian culture that they don't divorce
Anyway, back to the problem , now that means they must be divorced before i can apply a visa for my mum? that's harsh though there's no other way around? i don't want to keep my mum on tourist visa her whole life to be here with me
Old May 3rd 2007, 1:34 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

i don't want to keep my mum on tourist visa her whole life to be here with me
DIAC wont let you.
Old May 3rd 2007, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Grayling
DIAC wont let you.
yes that's why in this case, is there anything i can do?