Can I let off some steam here ???

Old Dec 3rd 2003, 3:20 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I let off some steam here ???

Greetings all,

I'm posting from the *Rock* better known as the Isle of Man.

My wife, one year old son and I are nearly six months into our application to migrate to Oz.

Adelaide received our application on the 30th June but as yet we've heard nothing. Reading between the lines I would doubt that a Case Officer has even been appointed yet....just how frustrating is this malarkey ???

Anyway I've applied as an Offshore Skilled Independant with my family lodged on the application also. We're looking primarily at Perth as our preferred *new home* but we're still pretty open minded. I still quite like the idea of a small town on the fringes of Sydney.

I made some preliminary enquiries into the possibility of obtaining work in Oz should we be accepted and low and behold I was offered 3 contracts.....(I'm a Quantity Surveyor by profession). I was very surprised but it has give me peace of mind that there are good employment prospects. My wife is a merchant banker and we're less sure whether she'll be able to find something as quickly or in that field.

I'm interested to hear what sort of timescale other people have had to endure before being granted a visa. I reckon we could be looking at anything upto 2 years but someone maybe able to cheer me up.

Would also be very interested to hear from other people at the same stage of their application as us and where they're thinking of heading.

Cheers

3 legs...Manx & Proud
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice
Default Re: Can I let off some steam here ???

Hi Threelegs,

We received acknowledgement in the same class on 12th May, and still waiting. Some have been waiting even longer.

Can I just ask, were you offered these positions by way of a telephone interview, or did you visit Australia, or were you interviewed here?

It does appear that opportunities are on the up.

Originally posted by Three Legs
Greetings all,

I'm posting from the *Rock* better known as the Isle of Man.

My wife, one year old son and I are nearly six months into our application to migrate to Oz.

Adelaide received our application on the 30th June but as yet we've heard nothing. Reading between the lines I would doubt that a Case Officer has even been appointed yet....just how frustrating is this malarkey ???

Anyway I've applied as an Offshore Skilled Independant with my family lodged on the application also. We're looking primarily at Perth as our preferred *new home* but we're still pretty open minded. I still quite like the idea of a small town on the fringes of Sydney.

I made some preliminary enquiries into the possibility of obtaining work in Oz should we be accepted and low and behold I was offered 3 contracts.....(I'm a Quantity Surveyor by profession). I was very surprised but it has give me peace of mind that there are good employment prospects. My wife is a merchant banker and we're less sure whether she'll be able to find something as quickly or in that field.

I'm interested to hear what sort of timescale other people have had to endure before being granted a visa. I reckon we could be looking at anything upto 2 years but someone maybe able to cheer me up.

Would also be very interested to hear from other people at the same stage of their application as us and where they're thinking of heading.

Cheers

3 legs...Manx & Proud
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 5:27 pm
Account Closed

The job offers were all by way of Email discussions.

I obviously had to send my CV to them all and to be fair they all contacted the referee's that I had put forward.

I was being offered in the region of $60K (Aus) which I didn't think was bad for an opening offer.

I told them all about my circumstances which sort of put a hold on the positions offered but they have all kept my details on file. Should we be accepted they have asked that I get back in touch at the earliest opportunity.

To be totally honest, I'd like to get out of the building game and try my hand at something different...fresh start and all that. New country, new job....new life.

I just wish there was some way of viewing your current status with regard applications...it's a poor system in my view but I guess they are dealing with thousands of enquiries.

Here's to having a great Christmas at home and looking forward to the new year to bring us good news.

Originally posted by Majj
Hi Threelegs,

We received acknowledgement in the same class on 12th May, and still waiting. Some have been waiting even longer.

Can I just ask, were you offered these positions by way of a telephone interview, or did you visit Australia, or were you interviewed here?

It does appear that opportunities are on the up.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice

As a fellow QS I was wondering if you were going to take up any of these offers you mentioned prior to getting your PR?

I must say I have had a few agencies contacting me telling me they have got loads of positions. So I'll wait and see if they come up with anything.

Did you go through an agency or contact employers directly?

Cheers.

Majj

The job offers were all by way of Email discussions.

I obviously had to send my CV to them all and to be fair they all contacted the referee's that I had put forward.

I was being offered in the region of $60K (Aus) which I didn't think was bad for an opening offer.

I told them all about my circumstances which sort of put a hold on the positions offered but they have all kept my details on file. Should we be accepted they have asked that I get back in touch at the earliest opportunity.

To be totally honest, I'd like to get out of the building game and try my hand at something different...fresh start and all that. New country, new job....new life.

I just wish there was some way of viewing your current status with regard applications...it's a poor system in my view but I guess they are dealing with thousands of enquiries.

Here's to having a great Christmas at home and looking forward to the new year to bring us good news.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

onjon is an unknown quantity at this point

As a fellow QS I was wondering if you were going to take up any of these offers you mentioned prior to getting your PR?

I must say I have had a few agencies contacting me telling me they have got loads of positions. So I'll wait and see if they come up with anything.

Cheers.

Majj
Can u please pass some names of good agencies ?

Thanks.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 3:49 pm
Account Closed

I contacted the Employers directly.

I'm not a great believer in Recruitment Agencies....It's a parasitical industry and to be honest anyone can do it.

It's my belief that a potential employer would rather talk to an applicant direct rather than through a third party. That recruitment game appears money for old rope....(Maybe I'll set up over there !!!).

My intention is to go over there and get into the development game...new build and existing property.

With my background it shouldn't be too much trouble provided I have some funds behind me.

Start small...couple of plots and go from there.

If I have to take a QS job to provide an income I will but it's hardly the most satisfying job on the planet is it ???

How about you...what's your plans ?

3 Legs

Cheers.

Majj
Old Dec 11th 2003, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

It really depends on the size of the company and how efficient they are. I sent my CV to my current firm speculatively and got no response. A few days later an agency sent it and I was offered a position. They could have saved themselves a few thousand pounds, or given it to me! In a large firm Human resources do not always communicate with the Partners.

On the other hand Agencies can disasterously mismatch you as sometimes they appear to have little understanding of their Clients requirements.

Anyway funnily enough I have been having similar thoughts to yourself with regards to entering the development sector. Obviously in the first instance I would seek a QS position which would hopefully give me some time to familarise with laws customs etc. I've actually mentioned this to a couple of other QS's and got them thinking as well. But you're right funds are required.

Who knows we will wait and see. Let's get this visa first.

I contacted the Employers directly.

I'm not a great believer in Recruitment Agencies....It's a parasitical industry and to be honest anyone can do it.

It's my belief that a potential employer would rather talk to an applicant direct rather than through a third party. That recruitment game appears money for old rope....(Maybe I'll set up over there !!!).

My intention is to go over there and get into the development game...new build and existing property.

With my background it shouldn't be too much trouble provided I have some funds behind me.

Start small...couple of plots and go from there.

If I have to take a QS job to provide an income I will but it's hardly the most satisfying job on the planet is it ???

How about you...what's your plans ?

3 Legs