Wikiposts

Can I get a student Visa

Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

Di and Phil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I get a student Visa

Hi, I really hope someone can help.
My husband, Phil and I immigrated to Madurah 12 weeks ago on a 162 Business Visa. We absolutely love it here and hope to stay. The criteria for the 162 is quite strict. I have chosen to do a 4 year RN nursing course and I have already started and am in my 4th week and thoroughly enjoying it. Is there any way I can apply for a student visa nd get our PR via that way. I have spoken to DMIA and they say there are no age restrictions for a student Visa but did not really give me much more info.
My immigration officer keeps saying the max age is 45 (I am 49) for a student visa, so as you can see I am pretty confused (Doesn't take much).
Any advice would be greatly received as I thought if I am doing the studying then maybe I can get us through that way.
Many thanks cheers Di & Phil x
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

John50 is a jewel in the roughJohn50 is a jewel in the roughJohn50 is a jewel in the roughJohn50 is a jewel in the roughJohn50 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Can I get a student Visa

I don`t know the answer to your question but sombody on here will be along shortly to answer you.

I just wanted to welcome you to BE and to say hi neighbour....
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by John50
I don`t know the answer to your question but sombody on here will be along shortly to answer you.

I just wanted to welcome you to BE and to say hi neighbour....
Hi John,
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly and hey we are neighbours, whereabouts in Dawesville are you?
Di
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

John50 is a jewel in the roughJohn50 is a jewel in the roughJohn50 is a jewel in the roughJohn50 is a jewel in the roughJohn50 is a jewel in the rough

Bayview Crescent on the beach side staying with friends untill we find a place here..been here 2 months love the scenery.....
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

Bayview Crescent on the beach side staying with friends untill we find a place here..been here 2 months love the scenery.....
We are beach side too in Turtle Way , renting, theres only two houses at the mo ha ha, but just love the Kangaroos. We have bought a block of land in Florida Beach and hopefully they will start building soon, fingers crossed.
But as you say lovely scenery and I love going over the Bouvard Bridge.
Di & Phil
Old Aug 17th 2007, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Di and Phil
We are beach side too in Turtle Way , renting, theres only two houses at the mo ha ha, but just love the Kangaroos. We have bought a block of land in Florida Beach and hopefully they will start building soon, fingers crossed.
But as you say lovely scenery and I love going over the Bouvard Bridge.
Di & Phil
Same here love the Roo`s gallaa`s going over the bridge have you seen the Dolphins yet ? we did once while having dinner at the Jolly Frog.
Didnt like it much when i got here but its growing on me Need to find a job in or around Mandurah am working in Perth at the mo.
If you need help/chat or cup of sugar email me or PM.......
John & Sylvia

Last edited by John50; Aug 17th 2007 at 3:21 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 3:50 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I really hope someone can help.
My husband, Phil and I immigrated to Madurah 12 weeks ago on a 162 Business Visa. We absolutely love it here and hope to stay. The criteria for the 162 is quite strict. I have chosen to do a 4 year RN nursing course and I have already started and am in my 4th week and thoroughly enjoying it. Is there any way I can apply for a student visa nd get our PR via that way. I have spoken to DMIA and they say there are no age restrictions for a student Visa but did not really give me much more info.
My immigration officer keeps saying the max age is 45 (I am 49) for a student visa, so as you can see I am pretty confused (Doesn't take much).
Any advice would be greatly received as I thought if I am doing the studying then maybe I can get us through that way.
Many thanks cheers Di & Phil x
Get some professional assistance.

There is no maximum age for a student visa, but you are barred from the general skilled migration system as you are aged 45+ (sorry, no exceptions).

That said, you can study on a 162 visa (as long as you pay international fees) and you might be able to get PR through ENS or RSMS after that. Age waiver would still be needed, so it would depend on occupation/location.

Try George Lombard in Sydney - 02 97990085.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

Same here love the Roo`s gallaa`s going over the bridge have you seen the Dolphins yet ? we did once while having dinner at the Jolly Frog.
Didnt like it much when i got here but its growing on me Need to find a job in or around Mandurah am working in Perth at the mo.
If you need help/chat or cup of sugar email me or PM.......
John & Sylvia
Thanks guys will do, Phil is still not sure what business he wants to do, and working in Mandurah would be better, Perth is not far by English standards it takes ages having to keep to the Ozzie speeds.
Will pm soon
Di & Phil
Old Aug 17th 2007, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Get some professional assistance.

There is no maximum age for a student visa, but you are barred from the general skilled migration system as you are aged 45+ (sorry, no exceptions).

That said, you can study on a 162 visa (as long as you pay international fees) and you might be able to get PR through ENS or RSMS after that. Age waiver would still be needed, so it would depend on occupation/location.

Try George Lombard in Sydney - 02 97990085.
Thanks Jaj,
I will give George a call, I am already paying International rates because I am still on temporary visa (so expensive), so may be able to go along that route.
Thanks again
Di
Old Aug 17th 2007, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

claire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant future

Hi Di,

Where are you doing your RN course?? I am at Murdoch doing mine (on a student visa) in my first year.

Claire
Old Aug 17th 2007, 11:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by claire33
Hi Di,

Where are you doing your RN course?? I am at Murdoch doing mine (on a student visa) in my first year.

Claire
Hi Claire,
I have just started the Cert 111 at Tafe, Peel Campus and have spent3 weeks in the classroom and am now at the RAFFA nursing home doing a 14 week placement. I have also enrolled in the Cert IV on-line and nursing combo for next year and will be doing that at the Tafe and Murdoch. I then start at Murdoch full time for the RN in 2008.
Hows it going, are you enjoying it. Do you mind me asking how old you are and are you hoping to get your PR from your student visa?
Many thanks
Di
Old Aug 18th 2007, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

claire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant future

Hi Claire,
I have just started the Cert 111 at Tafe, Peel Campus and have spent3 weeks in the classroom and am now at the RAFFA nursing home doing a 14 week placement. I have also enrolled in the Cert IV on-line and nursing combo for next year and will be doing that at the Tafe and Murdoch. I then start at Murdoch full time for the RN in 2008.
Hows it going, are you enjoying it. Do you mind me asking how old you are and are you hoping to get your PR from your student visa?
Many thanks
Di
Hi Di,

Yeah it is really good, very time consuming ...but good!!

I am 36 and yes am hoping to get my PR once I have finished.

I work at the RAFFA nursing home too, normally work in the evenings through the week and mornings at the weekend.

Claire
Old Aug 18th 2007, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by claire33
Hi Di,

Yeah it is really good, very time consuming ...but good!!

I am 36 and yes am hoping to get my PR once I have finished.

I work at the RAFFA nursing home too, normally work in the evenings through the week and mornings at the weekend.

Claire
Hi Claire,
Thats a co-incidence, I'm hoping once I get my Cert 111 & 1V I may be able to get some part time work at the RAFFA, I am really enjoying my placement there. Perhaps we will bump into each other.
Is Heidy your tutor? she's really great.
I hope you don't mind me asking but are you having to pay Int'l rates and could you give me an idea of how much your course is costing you. I am still waiting back from the Education Dept at TAFE on how much I have to pay for Cert V and the bursing combo. They have let me enrol upfront.
Many thanks
Di
Old Aug 18th 2007, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Di,

Have sent you a PM.

Claire