189 Processing Time Increase

Old Jul 25th 2017, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Jacko86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 189 Processing Time Increase

Just wondering if any of the agents that post here (or anyone else) knows what might be behind the increased processing time for 189?

It's gone from 75% processed in 4 months to 8 months. And 90% processed in 7 months to 11 months.

Does occupation or the complexity of the application have anything to do with it?

I lodged on 29th June and have had no contact yet. Medicals booked for 1st August and police check will be uploaded by the 2nd or 3rd August.

We're planning on leaving the UK in April and travelling on the way to arrive to validate visa mid-July next year. I've got to give three months notice at work though so have to risk it and hand notice in in January even if the visa isn't granted yet. That would be 6 months from lodge.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 8:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 189 Processing Time Increase

Originally Posted by Jacko86
Just wondering if any of the agents that post here (or anyone else) knows what might be behind the increased processing time for 189?

It's gone from 75% processed in 4 months to 8 months. And 90% processed in 7 months to 11 months.

Does occupation or the complexity of the application have anything to do with it?

I lodged on 29th June and have had no contact yet. Medicals booked for 1st August and police check will be uploaded by the 2nd or 3rd August.

We're planning on leaving the UK in April and travelling on the way to arrive to validate visa mid-July next year. I've got to give three months notice at work though so have to risk it and hand notice in in January even if the visa isn't granted yet. That would be 6 months from lodge.
All kinds of things can make a difference. Complexity of application, amount of visas for that skill type - reaching its ceiling etc, criminal convictions, health issues, background checks in high risk countries. Plus all the changes that have happened recently and a reported shortage of staff.
Also processing times chhange constantly. Just have to submit the paperwork and wait I'm afraid.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 9:12 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

What's plan B if your application is not successful?
Old Jul 26th 2017, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but this makes no sense. You have no idea when the visa will be granted, and in fact should assume that it will NOT be granted, and do not make any irreversible life changes, until it is in fact granted.

Once - and IF - the visa is granted - you do not have to move immediately. You can wait until the visa is granted and then hand in your 90 days notice.

DIBP will not adhere to your timeline, and in fact does not care at all about it. You are best served to just sit back, relax, have a cream soda and carry on as normal until you are told your visa application is successful (or not). THEN begin planning your travel and quitting your job.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

I don't expect anyone to adhere to my timeline and I am fully aware DIBP doesn't care about my plans. I was asking a simple question about the sharp processing time increase of people who might have more knowledge about the subject than me - that's all. I could be in a position where I'm granted the visa with a date of entry which is sooner than my 3 month notice period at work. I'd then have to fly to Australia just to validate the visa and then come home again, all at additional expense.

Plan B will be to go travelling anyway and have a good time, maybe for an extended period of time, then come home, get another job and get on with life.

I'm not taking anything for granted at all. I haven't just paid 5k to assume I won't get the visa though, unless there are some significant changes that haven't been made as yet. Nobody in their right mind would go through the process and pay for it all if they didn't think the visa would ultimately be granted. The specific requirements have been researched, met and evidenced. If it isn't granted I'll have to find out why and then life goes on.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I don't expect anyone to adhere to my timeline and I am fully aware DIBP doesn't care about my plans. I was asking a simple question about the sharp processing time increase of people who might have more knowledge about e subject than me - that's all. I could be in a position where I'm granted the visa with a date of entry which is sooner than my 3 month notice period at work. I'd then have to fly to Australia just to validate the visa and then come home again, all at additional expense.

What? No. You get one year from when the visa is issued. You get granted the visa, give your 3 months' notice, and then have 9 months in which to validate. Or just arrive permanently.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Jul 26th 2017 at 1:21 pm. Reason: Fixed quote.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=carcajou;12303465]
I don't expect anyone to adhere to my timeline and I am fully aware DIBP doesn't care about my plans. I was asking a simple question about the sharp processing time increase of people who might have more knowledge about the subject than me - that's all. I could be in a position where I'm granted the visa with a date of entry which is sooner than my 3 month notice period at work. I'd then have to fly to Australia just to validate the visa and then come home again, all at additional expense.

What? No. You get one year from when the visa is issued. You get granted the visa, give your 3 months' notice, and then have 9 months in which to validate. Or just arrive permanently.
You get one year from whichever was first out of your police check or medical. Both are only valid for one year.

My medical and police checks will both be 1st/2nd August so, assuming the visa is granted, my entry date is likely to be 1st/2nd August 2018.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 1:20 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. The medicals and police checks for a visa are valid for 12 months.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have just checked mine and I was incorrect and had forgotten that - however I still stand by the advice that it is foolhardy to make irreversible life changes on the assumption rather than the reality that a visa will be granted.

Have you considered a settlement or salary forfeiture with your employer, which usually can get them to waive the notice period.

The cost of a plane ticket to Australia could well be several times cheaper than going months without salary because you resigned too early.

Last edited by carcajou; Jul 26th 2017 at 1:26 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

I haven't really thought about settlement yet. The processing times only went up a few days ago.

As I said, worst comes to the worst and it's rejected we'll just go travelling anyway. Work might allow for a career break or I'll get another job on return.

I don't think there is anything wrong with anticipating a grant at some point provided you've done everything correctly, mind. It's hardly like it's a case of pot luck.

I've researched into reasons why people are refused and it usually seems to be due to errors or misclaiming of work experience.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 1:38 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't really thought about settlement yet. The processing times only went up a few days ago.

As I said, worst comes to the worst and it's rejected we'll just go travelling anyway. Work might allow for a career break or I'll get another job on return.

I don't think there is anything wrong with anticipating a grant at some point provided you've done everything correctly, mind. It's hardly like it's a case of pot luck.

I've researched into reasons why people are refused and it usually seems to be due to errors or misclaiming of work experience.

Unfortunately there are also cases where DIBP change the rues, effective immediately. Over the years we have had many people on here who have thought their visa was safe to be granted, only to have either the processing time suddenly turn into 4-5 years, or even be 'capped and ceased' and never granted.
Watching events like that unfold is why some of us will always advise caution.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

I understand you are excited and eager to get to Australia. But slow down. Mistakes get made when people get unnecessarily in a rush.

Worse comes to worse - you make a validation trip, come back to the UK, and your permanent departure gets delayed a few months. That isn't a problem other than that you are excited to get going.

Your first year in Australia can very well make or break your experience here, and making sure that goes as smoothly as can be needs to be the focus . . . not getting out of the UK as quick as possible. If you financially cripple yourself in a rush to get out of the UK (like, by trying to predict DIBP's timing and quitting your job early), that will make it much harder to settle into an expensive country like Australia, and will risk upsetting your long-term plans.

I do understand your eagerness . . . but my advice stands, don't make irreversible changes, and while it may be very likely you get the visa, don't assume anything.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

I don't feel like we're rushing it or desperate to leave the UK. We have a Plan B anyway which we would do if the visa wasn't granted and will have money saved up to do it with.

We're going travelling in April regardless, the only uncertainty right now is where we finish and how long we go for - Australia or back at home. All eventualities have been planned for.

The point of my post initially was to ask what the increase was down to and what factors are taken into account. It seems incredible that DIBP can make decisions and change rules with immediate effect but then they've got a huge job on which is no doubt influenced by the political climate as well.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Unfortunately there are also cases where DIBP change the rues, effective immediately. Over the years we have had many people on here who have thought their visa was safe to be granted, only to have either the processing time suddenly turn into 4-5 years, or even be 'capped and ceased' and never granted.
Watching events like that unfold is why some of us will always advise caution.
I understand that. And that there is no certainty until the visa is granted. I know the recent 457 changes have impacted many people.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 11:35 am
Just Joined

lam351444 is an unknown quantity at this point

Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) (Points-tested) stream

75 per cent of applications processed in 11 Months..............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.