Wikiposts

Can I do this ?

Old Sep 7th 2007, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

sirinya is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I do this ?

Hello ,

I m holding SIR visa and have been employed here nearly one year in Adelaide. I read through 175 subclass...

PR - 175

Skill assessment : 50
English :25
Australian working experience: 10
Community language: 5 ( I got a degree in community language )

Total : 120

I just can't wait to further stay another year to change to PR as i m lack some entiltlements. Can I just lodge 175 application right after I meet one year working experience in Australia ? I prefer PR sooner than later.

Any one can help me clarify ?

Cheers,
Old Sep 7th 2007, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I do this ?

Originally Posted by sirinya
Hello ,

I m holding SIR visa and have been employed here nearly one year in Adelaide. I read through 175 subclass...

PR - 175

Skill assessment : 50
English :25
Australian working experience: 10
Community language: 5 ( I got a degree in community language )

Total : 120

I just can't wait to further stay another year to change to PR as i m lack some entiltlements. Can I just lodge 175 application right after I meet one year working experience in Australia ? I prefer PR sooner than later.

Any one can help me clarify ?

Cheers,
Yes you can - you were previously prevented from making a valid application for the old 136 visa unless you had held the SIR for at least 2 years.

So, subject to IELTS score and subject to you evidencing that your 12 months Australian work experience is skilled in an occupation on SOL and 20 hours per week or more, your score will be as above. Presumably you met 2 years skilled experience in previous 3 years to qualify for the SIR so you would probably also qualify for 5 points for specific work experience unless you have gaps in your skilled emplument of more than 12 months in the past 4 years.

It will be an "off-shore" application so you will have to leave Australia for a week when the visa is ready to be granted

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old Sep 7th 2007, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Tony,

Thank you for your infomation .However, I do have more issues to ask .

I had signed the contract with the current employer for one year and after that he will change me to ongoing - permanent position. I m hesitating what options for me ? I knew only 175 offshore which means that I have to pay another 2000$. ? Can I do RSMS ? pay less ?

Any comments ?

Thank you,
sirinya
Old Sep 10th 2007, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

purplefox is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I am in a similar predicament with Sirinya. I am currently on a 495 visa and have lived and worked in Ballarat, Victoria for more than a year. My current situation in regard to the subclass 175:

English Language: 25
Australian Employment: 10
Australian Qualification: 5

Total: 125

My questions:
Can I claim points for Australian work experience accumulated while on a bridging visa and/or the 495?

Can I stay in Australia while waiting for the outcome of the 175 application? Will the 175 visa application overrides my current 495 visa meaning I have to leave Aust?
Old Sep 10th 2007, 6:16 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by purplefox
My questions:
Can I claim points for Australian work experience accumulated while on a bridging visa and/or the 495?
Experience in a skilled occupation on a 495 should be acceptable. Are you currently in skilled employment? You will need to meet the requirements for 175 from scratch.

Not clear how you will get a bridging visa if you apply for a 175 as it's an offshore visa (unless you are a New Zealand citizen).

Can I stay in Australia while waiting for the outcome of the 175 application? Will the 175 visa application overrides my current 495 visa meaning I have to leave Aust?
You can stay provided your 495 visa remains valid and you observe the conditions of it. You will need to go offshore for visa grant.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks JAJ.

Yes, I'm in skilled employment, in a job closely related to my nominated profession.

With regard to the bridging visa, I meant that I worked about 5 months while on a bridging visa pending the 495 visa grant, and then another 8 months on the 495 visa.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

hi,

Question 1:

I m 100% sure that you can claim for the Australian work experience accumulated while you are in any visa that allow you to work here. (bridging visa, student visa, etc). As the word "employed" refer to any skillled job paid position for 20 hours per week"

Question 2:
You can stay in Australia as you are holding 495 visa . If i were you , i will stay in Ballarat, Victoria until i got 175 offshore grant.

I m not so sure for Australian qualification. Do you meet two years requirement ? should be within six months of completion ? i m not sure . (may need someone to qualify)

I plan to do this soon to as I will meet one year working full time under skilled in Adelaide. I start from scratch too with 175. ....but it's worth doing tho as we can get PR sooner than later

Cheers,
Sirinya

Last edited by sirinya; Sep 10th 2007 at 8:01 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

I did a 2-year masters degree in Melbourne, therefore I can claim 5 points for Australia qualification.

I am still contemplating whether I should apply for the 175. Cost is a factor. $2060 vs $190 if I go for the 887. Then there's the airfare to fly out of Aust when the visa is granted. I'm also not sure how soon the 175 will be granted given that it is an offshore application. I've look through the posts in the forum here, the processing time for offshore application for the old 136 visa averages about 8-10 months, am I right?
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Australian qualification

You can be awarded points for an Australian qualification if:

you have completed one of the Australian qualifications listed below while present in Australia all instruction was in English.

You have met the two (2) year study requirement to claim five points.

Two years study in Australia

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...year-study.htm

You must have met this eligibility requirement in the six (6) months immediately before the date of making your application.

So i m not sure....as I had a two years study in Adelaide too. .....

Maybe need someone to qualify....

Cheers,

Sirinya
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

The requirement to make application witin 6 months of graduation only applies if you are claiming for an exemption of Recent Work Experience.

For Australian Qualifications, see
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...ation-aust.htm

Since you studied 2 years in Adelaide, you also qualify for 5 points under Regional Australia Study
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...y-regional.htm

Have you researchthe processing time for the offshore 175? If it's going to take more than 12 months, then maybe it's better waiting out the remaining of the 2 years to apply for the 887.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

Thanks you for pointing to me. In my opionion , I m okay to pay for another $2060 to lodge a new application as I prefer PR sooner than later. I know the processing time for offshore application...at least more than eight month.!!!!!

we are in the same boat....mate...my friend suggest me that maybe I got the PR 175 in the same time as I can eligible to lodge 887 (but we have to wait for 887 grant for at least 6 months ) which is take lonage but I still prefer wanna pay for lodgement a new application offshore ..I choose to lodge a new 175 aplication....as no one can guarantee immi office will change any legislation.

DIAC always changes the legislation. If you wait for 887 , you may have to wait longa...if the cost is the main concern , you may wait for 887. If the time is your concern, you may go for 175.

Cheers,
Sirinya
Old Sep 13th 2007, 12:53 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by purplefox
Thanks JAJ.

Yes, I'm in skilled employment, in a job closely related to my nominated profession.

With regard to the bridging visa, I meant that I worked about 5 months while on a bridging visa pending the 495 visa grant, and then another 8 months on the 495 visa.
Work experience in Australia on a Bridging Visa A or B is acceptable if it meets the general criteria for being "skilled."

Work experience obtained while holding other kinds of bridging visas are not acceptable.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Hi JAJ,

I think holding a student visa can allow us to work for 20 hours per week. So in this case if someone is holding a student and working under any occupation under SOL for 12/24...this Australian working experience will be count too.

It clearly states that "in any visa that allow you to work". Student visa and bridging visa are also count.

Australian work experience

You are eligible to be awarded Australian work experience points if you have been employed in Australia:

1. in an occupation listd on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) while holding a visa that allows you to work for at least 20 hours a week
2. In a paid position at a skilled level in your nominated occupation or in a closely related occupation on the SOL
3. for a period(s) totalling at least one (1) year in the four (4) years immediately before the day you lodge your application

Regards,
Sirinya
Old Sep 13th 2007, 1:24 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by sirinya
Hi JAJ,

I think holding a student visa can allow us to work for 20 hours per week. So in this case if someone is holding a student and working under any occupation under SOL for 12/24...this Australian working experience will be count too.

It clearly states that "in any visa that allow you to work". Student visa and bridging visa are also count.
It is unusual for student visa holders to be employed in "skilled" employment. Expect DIAC to look very closely at any claims you make in this area.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Hi JAJ,

This message I had quote from the DIAC website under FAQ for the changes.

Question : I have been working while studying - can that work be counted towards claiming points for Australian work experience ?

To be eligible to be awarded points for Australian work experience you must have been working at a skilled level. That means that work undertaken before you have completed your degree will not considered unless you have other qualification that meet the basic entry requuirements in that field.

My case :

I did my bachelor level in IT oversea and continue my Master in business in Australia and I started working in IT skilled job since I was in the last semester in Aus uni by working part-time for 20 hours a week ....and right after I completed my degree which stated on the completion letter...I started to work full time since then. So i have previos qualification to meet the entry requirements in that field (IT area job)....=> I can claim for Australian working experience. ? I can or cannot ?

I think sometimes people don't have to use the degree here only to find a job but we can use oversea qualification to secure the job too.

Can you help me clarify ?

Thanks,
Sirinya

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.