Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Can I choose where to have my Citizenship ceremony

Can I choose where to have my Citizenship ceremony

Old Jul 10th 2013, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Can I choose where to have my Citizenship ceremony

Hi

I was wondering if you have to have the ceremony at your local council or if you can choose to have it in the city - I live in Sydney and would love the ceremony at Town Hall

Thanks in advance
Sambo
Old Jul 11th 2013, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I choose where to have my Citizenship ceremony

I'm pretty sure on the Citizenship Application form it asks you to state where you want to do your ceremony x
Old Jul 13th 2013, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Are you actually living in City of Sydney's council area? If you are then your ceremony will be at Sydney Town Hall, generally you get your citizenship at a ceremony arranged by your local council.
Old May 12th 2014, 1:42 am
Just Joined

citylan is an unknown quantity at this point

is having the ceremony at Town Hall really good in terms of how its arranged etc in comparison to other Citizenship ceremonies?
Old May 12th 2014, 1:59 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by citylan
is having the ceremony at Town Hall really good in terms of how its arranged etc in comparison to other Citizenship ceremonies?
I doubt that many people would have experience of more than one citizenship ceremony.
Old May 12th 2014, 5:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

What are you expecting? Hordes of awed Australians kneeling at your feet and welcoming you to their country?
You turn up at the venue, listen to some speeches, recite the words on the card, and get given a bit of tree and a certificate. Wherever you go is gonna be much the same.
Old May 12th 2014, 7:13 am
Just Joined

yeah I was expecting that!!!

No, but seriously wanted to know whether there is any special significance to the Citizenship ceremonies happening at Sydney Town Hall. And what usually is the refreshments? Like is it lunch/dinner or just snacks like biscuits etc.
Old May 12th 2014, 7:32 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

yeah I was expecting that!!!

No, but seriously wanted to know whether there is any special significance to the Citizenship ceremonies happening at Sydney Town Hall. And what usually is the refreshments? Like is it lunch/dinner or just snacks like biscuits etc.
Refreshments? Well maybe Syndey is more.welcoming than Brisbane, but the refreshments there were 'yeah, pub down on the.corner will serve ya!' and there were so many thousand people at the ceremony that it was like a conveyor belt. I was glad I didn't try and make an 'occasion' of it, certainly wasn't memorable. Hope you have more luck!
Old May 12th 2014, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

In Sutherland Shire we had an evening ceremony in Sutherland a Town Hall with a pie and tea/coffee available for us and our guests afterwards.

A friends ceremony in City of a Sydney was an afternoon ceremony in Sydney Town Hall with nothing else.

I guess it depends on what you want. I believe you can go for one of the round up stragglers ceremonies in Sydney if you really want
Old May 13th 2014, 12:54 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

London does tea, coffee, orange juice, Tim Tams and Anzac biscuits. You also get a free jar of Vegemite and a cuddly Koala with every citizenship certificate. Though it may be a bit of a trek if you're living in Oz
Old May 13th 2014, 4:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
London does tea, coffee, orange juice, Tim Tams and Anzac biscuits. You also get a free jar of Vegemite and a cuddly Koala with every citizenship certificate. Though it may be a bit of a trek if you're living in Oz
No, I certainly would fly down to London to have those Anzac biscuits and Tim Tams, makes me feel so nostalgic about having a 'true Australian Citizenship'.

But seriously, I was expecting atleast sandwiches and tea/coffee/juices/cold drinks. They should have allocated atleast some money for the refreshments considering its a big occasion and certainly a memorable one for many of us.
Old May 13th 2014, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Ours had party pies with tomato sauce and tea/coffee/fruit juice. There were a couple of hundred people doing their ceremony though so by the time we got to the refreshment stage we just wanted to go home
Old May 13th 2014, 1:39 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

No, I certainly would fly down to London to have those Anzac biscuits and Tim Tams, makes me feel so nostalgic about having a 'true Australian Citizenship'.

But seriously, I was expecting atleast sandwiches and tea/coffee/juices/cold drinks. They should have allocated atleast some money for the refreshments considering its a big occasion and certainly a memorable one for many of us.
The Council I worked at for 15 years always made a fuss of people at our citizenship ceremonies. Always a nice morning or afternoon tea, or a supper for evening ceremonies. The biggest ceremony was held on Australia Day, and the new Aussies and their families were given vouchers for the local Oz Day in the park breakfast, which was in a lovely park next door to the Council admin centre. At the ceremony, all the kids were given 'show bags' with an Aussie flag and lots of bits and pieces, and the ceremonies themselves had live entertainment.

I've assisted the Mayor at the ceremonies lots of times, and every bloody time I get teary! I just find them really moving occasions.
Old May 13th 2014, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Buy your own tea, coffee and biscuits. Jeez it's not that hard is it?

It will be us this year too and I couldn't give a stuff about the ceremony, I would rather just be in and out, it is entirely a practical step.
Old May 13th 2014, 7:51 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts

It will be us this year too and I couldn't give a stuff about the ceremony, I would rather just be in and out, it is entirely a practical step.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.