Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Nursing Registration: applicants must present within three months

Nursing Registration: applicants must present within three months

Old Jan 10th 2017, 9:06 am

Richard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nursing Registration: applicants must present within three months

This now appears to be confirmed in correspondence from AHPRA to several of our clients.

Once AHPRA In Principle Approval Of Registration is granted, applicants must now present themselves at an AHPRA office within three months of the letter. Their office has said that they no longer give 12 months for applicants to present as before.

If additional costs are a factor, then we would not recommend visa applicants apply to AHPRA too early. Preferably you would want to have your visa grant already, as you will only have 12 weeks to turn up at an AHPRA office to activate full registration, unless of course you are ok about flying there beforehand with the purpose of activating your registration.

Regards,

Richard
Old Jan 10th 2017, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

stmw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nursing Registration: applicants must present within three months

Oh wow only the other day i thought i had my order of ANMAC APRHA then EOI sorted!! Looks like that might change!

It seems APRHA change goal posts quite a lot. Ive been looking at immigration as a midwife for a few years now but wanted to consolidate once qualified in the UK for a little while. Every time I look things seem to change from the continuity cases for midwives to the length of supervision now this etc.

Im worried if i wait too long to apply things will have changed even more!

Sorry not much point to my ramblings!
Old Jan 10th 2017, 4:53 pm

Richard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond repute

I'm speculating here but I think the reason may be to lower the number of open AHPRA applications awaiting activation. Many people apply for registration from abroad and then never get around to activating it for whatever reason. By reducing the activation window from twelve months to three months, they can dramatically lower the number of cases on their desk.

Regards,

Richard
Old Jan 10th 2017, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

stmw is an unknown quantity at this point

That does make sense,

Such a shame there would be that many granted but not activated for whatever reason! I imagine the NMC here might have the same problem.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 9:04 am

Plans change, but when they do, not everyone bothers to let AHPRA know!

It does make sense from their point of view, but is a pain from the perspective of everyone else.

Regards,

Richard
Old Jan 31st 2017, 11:43 am
Just Joined

lozzie123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Richard_Gregan
This now appears to be confirmed in correspondence from AHPRA to several of our clients.

Once AHPRA In Principle Approval Of Registration is granted, applicants must now present themselves at an AHPRA office within three months of the letter. Their office has said that they no longer give 12 months for applicants to present as before.

If additional costs are a factor, then we would not recommend visa applicants apply to AHPRA too early. Preferably you would want to have your visa grant already, as you will only have 12 weeks to turn up at an AHPRA office to activate full registration, unless of course you are ok about flying there beforehand with the purpose of activating your registration.

Regards,

Richard

Hello Richard,

I am a nurse living and working in the UK hoping to move on the 457 visa later this year. I am having trouble establishing what the best route to take is in terms of applications. My understanding is the best to start with is the AHPRA form to get registered (bar collecting the registration in person upon arrival in Oz), then apply for jobs with the hope of sponsorship, then apply for the visa.

If this is correct, what is the likelihood of securing a job and having a visa granted in those 12 weeks that follow? Will I not also have to do a skills assessment, I have read these can take 12 weeks!

Thankyou in advance! The more I research this the more confused I seem to be about the process!

Lauren
Old Jan 31st 2017, 12:10 pm

I would always recommend a permanent skilled visa for those who are eligible for it. I don't have info on your specific circumstances, but you've mentioned a 457 - are you looking at this option due to a shortage of points?
Old Jan 31st 2017, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

I would always recommend a permanent skilled visa for those who are eligible for it. I don't have info on your specific circumstances, but you've mentioned a 457 - are you looking at this option due to a shortage of points?

Thank you for your speedy response Richard.

I was going for the 457 as it seemed more appropriate due to the fact that I am not ready to commit to a permanent visa as the plan is to stay for 2-3years and then later consider extending should I decide to ( or be eligible to). Also my partner is applying got a 457. We are both 26

Lauren
Old Jan 31st 2017, 4:22 pm

hmm, well if you got your AHPRA registration then you could apply for a modified assessment, which is cheaper, but not necessarily quicker - current processing time for all assessments is 8 weeks (down from 12).

However, as stated, you would need to fly to Australia to activate it, then apply for a modified skills assessment, then apply for a 457, assuming you still want to go for the 457 option.

To take advantage of the ANMAC modified assessment route, your AHPRA registration *must* be activated - you can't just use an Approval-In-Principle letter - so I would only consider this route if you are prepared to fly to Australia to activate it. Once activated, you still need to apply for a modified assessment, and be approved prior to the lodgement of any 457 visa.

Of course, with full AHPRA registration then you could look at employer sponsorship but that's a different option, which has its own pros and cons (e.g. being tied to a particular employer).

Last edited by Richard_Gregan; Jan 31st 2017 at 4:25 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2017, 7:17 am
Just Joined

Josie2916 is an unknown quantity at this point

Regards,

Richard
Hi Richard,

over the passed few days ive gone through the visa bureau to ascertain wether we will qualify being registered nurses, they advised we would and to go with the skilled independent 189 visa. The only problem is they send off assessment and expect it back at month 5 from the time line they gave from application. It could then take another 7 months to complete the visa therefore we would now be 4 moths passed activation date for the AHPRA. Also they send the assessment to ANMAC so is that the same as AHPRA or do we need to do these separately ?

Regards Josie and Kirsty
Old Feb 4th 2017, 7:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Josie2916
Hi Richard,

over the passed few days ive gone through the visa bureau to ascertain wether we will qualify being registered nurses, they advised we would and to go with the skilled independent 189 visa. The only problem is they send off assessment and expect it back at month 5 from the time line they gave from application. It could then take another 7 months to complete the visa therefore we would now be 4 moths passed activation date for the AHPRA. Also they send the assessment to ANMAC so is that the same as AHPRA or do we need to do these separately ?

Regards Josie and Kirsty
You do not need to be registered with AHPRA before getting the visa.

You do the skills assessment with ANMAC, apply for and hopefully get the visa and then register with AHPRA. That is just the registration allowing you to work here, its not essential for the visa application.
Old Feb 4th 2017, 7:27 am
Just Joined

Josie2916 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You do not need to be registered with AHPRA before getting the visa.

You do the skills assessment with ANMAC, apply for and hopefully get the visa and then register with AHPRA. That is just the registration allowing you to work here, its not essential for the visa application.
Thats great, my heart sank there when i read about the 3 months to register lol thanks pollyana
Old Feb 4th 2017, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

hmm, well if you got your AHPRA registration then you could apply for a modified assessment, which is cheaper, but not necessarily quicker - current processing time for all assessments is 8 weeks (down from 12).

However, as stated, you would need to fly to Australia to activate it, then apply for a modified skills assessment, then apply for a 457, assuming you still want to go for the 457 option.

To take advantage of the ANMAC modified assessment route, your AHPRA registration *must* be activated - you can't just use an Approval-In-Principle letter - so I would only consider this route if you are prepared to fly to Australia to activate it. Once activated, you still need to apply for a modified assessment, and be approved prior to the lodgement of any 457 visa.

Of course, with full AHPRA registration then you could look at employer sponsorship but that's a different option, which has its own pros and cons (e.g. being tied to a particular employer).

Okay thankyou for your help!
Old Feb 7th 2017, 1:56 pm

Agreed. Given the uncertainty about the processing times for visas, I would tend to leave AHPRA until after your visa is granted. Otherwise, you risk more stress!

As Pollyana says, AHPRA is not required for the visa.

Word of advice: Just make sure you get your docs copied x2 and certified. ANMAC and AHPRA do not share any more! In the past, ANMAC would forward all docs to AHPRA, but sadly no more, so you'll need an additional copy for your registration.
Old Feb 11th 2017, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

steven9818 is an unknown quantity at this point

I went down the 457 route due to lack of points (I am 48 and that gets me zero points!) after securing a nursing job in Queensland. I also needed notarised documents for the 457 so if you are planning on sponsorship make sure that you get an extra certified passport/wedding certificate too.

Out of interest, I fly to Australia in April. Will I be able to apply for residency immediately?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.