Wikiposts

Business Visa - my chances

Old Sep 26th 2004, 1:19 am
Chillin out in WA

brisbec will become famous soon enough
Default Business Visa - my chances

Hi,
I have just started a new job as a manager of a company that has an annual turnover of over £1.5 mill. The oppertunity is there for me to purchase a stake in this company - approx 30 - 49% depending on which one i can afford.
If I was to buy a certain percentage, how long would i have to help run the business before i could apply for a business visa?
Could I apply for a business visa based on the above information?
I wouldn't have a controling percentage but i would be a partner.

Thanks very much intelligent people.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 2:12 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Business Visa - my chances

Originally Posted by brisbec
Hi,
I have just started a new job as a manager of a company that has an annual turnover of over £1.5 mill. The oppertunity is there for me to purchase a stake in this company - approx 30 - 49% depending on which one i can afford.
If I was to buy a certain percentage, how long would i have to help run the business before i could apply for a business visa?

For a decision of this magnitude you should be getting some good professional advice - not relying on an online forum!!

Is the company in Australia (you've not been completely clear on that)?

If so, for example, it might be possible for the company to sponsor you for employer nomination (ENS/RSMS), although I don't know whether owning such a large percentage would be a problem for that purpose. Or even general skilled might be an option.

These options should be fully assessed before going for a business skill visa. And if the company's in the UK, what will happen to your investment when you migrate to Australia, if that's the intention?

Jeremy
Old Sep 26th 2004, 12:31 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

The details here might help:
http://www.gomatilda.com/visas/busin..._migration.cfm

However, I would definitely be taking professional advice if you are thinking about making an investment in contemplation of departing the business in a couple of years from now ... for example, what do the company's Articles of Association say about shareholders being required to work for the business? The constitution of some companies require all shareholders to be employees of the business.

Best regards.

Hi,

Old Sep 27th 2004, 3:28 am
Chillin out in WA

brisbec will become famous soon enough

Thanks JAJ and Alan

The company is in the UK and the idea is for me to buy a stake which I could/would then sell (for investment/assets) to take with me should the outcome of an application be successful.

Even if I didn't sell the percentage - there is no problem with me not working for the company - I would not,however, be able to work for a company in the same field/profession in this country.

Does this make sense?
Old Sep 27th 2004, 11:27 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks JAJ and Alan

The company is in the UK and the idea is for me to buy a stake which I could/would then sell (for investment/assets) to take with me should the outcome of an application be successful.

Even if I didn't sell the percentage - there is no problem with me not working for the company - I would not,however, be able to work for a company in the same field/profession in this country.

Does this make sense?
I can't suggest anything better than to get advice from an experienced professional.

Jeremy
Old Oct 20th 2004, 11:21 am
TonyGill

Default ENS - part-owned business

JAJ <member23519@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected] om>...
    > > Hi,
    > > I have just started a new job as a manager of a company that has an
    > > annual turnover of over £1.5 mill. The oppertunity is there for me to
    > > purchase a stake in this company - approx 30 - 49% depending on which
    > > one i can afford.
    > > If I was to buy a certain percentage, how long would i have to help
    > > run the business before i could apply for a business visa?
    > > Could I apply for a business visa based on the above information?
    > > I wouldn't have a controling percentage but i would be a partner.
    > >
    > > Thanks very much intelligent people.
    >
    > For a decision of this magnitude you should be getting some good
    > professional advice - not relying on an online forum!!
    >
    > Is the company in Australia (you've not been completely clear on that)?
    >
    > If so, for example, it might be possible for the company to sponsor you
    > for employer nomination (ENS/RSMS), although I don't know whether owning
    > such a large percentage would be a problem for that purpose. Or even
    > general skilled might be an option.
    >
    > These options should be fully assessed before going for a business skill
    > visa. And if the company's in the UK, what will happen to your
    > investment when you migrate to Australia, if that's the intention?
    >
    > Jeremy

Although I get the drift from Jeremy & Alan's posts that professional
advice is probably the way to go, I would still like to put my case
before you for possible guidance:

I have started a niche Web consultancy business in Sydney (a Pty Ltd
company) in which I am a 50% shareholder, with the rest being held by
an Australian citizen. We have 1 part-time employee in this business
(for now). However, I am here on a student-dependent visa, as my wife
is studying for her Masters in IT (Research) at UniSyd. My question
is: can the business in which I hold a 50% stake sponsor my wife for
an ENS? She already has 8+ years of experience in IT, and is an