business visa 163 anyone got a visa yet?

Old Apr 13th 2005, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

PJ & B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: business visa 163 anyone got a visa yet?

Originally Posted by Rogue Trader
GREAT...!!!! That's a relief, thanks. We were thinking they would write and ask for valuations next and that would delay the sponsorship.

We also are not using an agent (so far...) and you guys are one step ahead of us, so we're looking to you to give us pointers all the way (no pressure...!!!) so if you've any hints n tips on the visa application form, please do post them here.

This was a great thread to start - well done! Where are you guys heading? We're going for WA - probably a little south of Perth, maybe as far south as Bunbury.

Glad to help RT

We are going to Secret Harbour which 52km south of Perth, but not as far south as Bunbury. We went to Perth last year and loved it in the area we want to settle, its really clean, low crime, beautiful beaches, great schools, lovely houses and the weather helps too, just cant wait to get there...

What type of business are you hoping to start up when you get there?
Old Apr 13th 2005, 10:10 pm
Aussie Citizen

Location: Iz Tralia (as said by my 3-yr-old son)... and LOVING it..!!
Rogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to all

Originally Posted by PJ & B
What type of business are you hoping to start up when you get there?
We design and manufacture industrial spray-paint finishing plant (extraction booths, stoving ovens etc) so we're sticking with what we know and setting up a duplicate of our current business. What about you guys? You said 'catering' on a previous post... restaurant?

BTW, Secret Harbour sounds like paradise - we've heard a LOT about the area but haven't had the time to check it out in our guide books yet.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

We design and manufacture industrial spray-paint finishing plant (extraction booths, stoving ovens etc) so we're sticking with what we know and setting up a duplicate of our current business. What about you guys? You said 'catering' on a previous post... restaurant?

BTW, Secret Harbour sounds like paradise - we've heard a LOT about the area but haven't had the time to check it out in our guide books yet.

Decided to do something totally different when we get there, PJ works long hours so we thought new life, new business.

Too be honest catering is just something we have always wanted to do. Not a restaurant, Im a good cook but not that good... We want to do event catering at weekends and purchase a sandwich bar/coffee shop.

Have you been to Oz yet?

B
Old Apr 13th 2005, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

Helium Kid is an unknown quantity at this point

Decided to do something totally different when we get there, PJ works long hours so we thought new life, new business.

Too be honest catering is just something we have always wanted to do. Not a restaurant, Im a good cook but not that good... We want to do event catering at weekends and purchase a sandwich bar/coffee shop.

Have you been to Oz yet?

B

Just got back to this thread and am surprised that you Guys are applying for visas alone.

My Agent is charging around £5000.00 for my application and to be honest I have prepared virtually everything myself, even down to a business plan that is having a slight face lift.

Still waiting for news on the sponsorship front but will pass on any info when I have it.

I was told that buying a house isn't a problem on this visa and that applies to new or old.

keep posting Guys and Gals as this is a cool and informative thread.

HK.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Helium Kid
Just got back to this thread and am surprised that you Guys are applying for visas alone.

My Agent is charging around £5000.00 for my application and to be honest I have prepared virtually everything myself, even down to a business plan that is having a slight face lift.

Still waiting for news on the sponsorship front but will pass on any info when I have it.

I was told that buying a house isn't a problem on this visa and that applies to new or old.

keep posting Guys and Gals as this is a cool and informative thread.

HK.

£5000 you must be mad......

We did have an agent a year ago who advised us to apply for a skilled visa as PJ is a qualified Sparky, we applied to the TRA and we were turned down. One of the reasons was because he runs a business and they said he needed to be working on the tools more than 50% of his time. We gave our agent hundreds of pounds when we could have applied for a business visa in the first place, but we were really wet behind the ears when we started the process and thought his the expert we will leave everything in his capable hands, we were so wrong....So after all that we found out about the business visa and so far have managed to get a sponsorship without an agent and are applying for our visa without one.

Im not saying they are all bad, just the one we used, i dont want to put you off, as i have read on various thread about some really good ones.

Just do what you think is best for you, but 5 grand sounds a bit steep to me.

I think all us business visa guy & gals should work together and help each other through the process and see where we all go from there.....What do you think?

B
Old Apr 13th 2005, 10:58 pm
Aussie Citizen

Rogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to all

Wow, HK.... five GRAND and you're doing all the work yourself... I'm in the wrong business...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We haven't had any quotes for an agent to do the apps for us, but maybe it would be worth it for the peace of mind.... but at FIVE GRAND we'll give it a go ourselves first..!!!

We reckon that between us all on this forum we've pretty much got all the bases covered....

PJ & B... Yep, I've been three times and Sarah (my better half) has been once for a 12-week blast round the outback.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

Just had a thought...

If the visas are only taking 12 weeks should we get police checks and meds done? or am i really jumping the gun here.

What do you think?
Old Apr 14th 2005, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Pasha is an unknown quantity at this point

I sure hope you don't mind having a couple of Canadians join this conversation!!! My husband and I have been longtime lurkers on all of the Aussie immigration web-sites - in an effort to obtain as much information as possible during this immigration process. Us Canadians don't have the same types of support forums as all you 'Brits' so we would be most appreciative to join your clan!!!! We, too, are in the process of applying for our business visa (163). Like you, PJ & B - I spent a year in Australia about 15 years ago (89/90) on a work visa - living the majority of the time in Perth, but then venturing off with my back-pack to see the rest of Australia. I knew, from the moment I landed on Aussie soil, that it was my destiny to return one day - permanently. Upon returning to Canada, I met my husband, got married - and have been looking forward to the day that I can bring my husband back to Australia with me. (He's never been there - but has always wanted to go) It's been a long 15 years - but in keeping the Australian dream alive - we're finally in the ideal position of pursuing this dream!!! We just received our WA state sponsorship last week - and were just over the top to hear the wonderful news!!!! It took just over one month - as the SBDC is quite back-logged at the moment - due to a tremendous amount of applicants. Now we are onto the next phase - which will be getting the package submitted to DIMIA. This should happen within the next few weeks. We are using a migration agent - just for peace of mind. We, too, figure that with such a drastic move, change in lifestyle, etc. - what better time to try our hands at something completely new to us. It certainly adds to the excitement - that's forsure!!! If all goes according to plan - we plan on arriving in WA towards the end of this year - providing we're able to sell our existing Canadian business without a hitch!!! It's so nice to see a thread dedicated specifically to this subject - as we had so many questions when we were first starting this process - and sure could have used this type of support. I'm sure we will still be having questions as we go along - and look forward to touching base on this forum. Sorry for the long post!!!!
Old Apr 14th 2005, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice
Question Re: business visa 163 anyone got a visa yet?

Originally Posted by Pasha
I sure hope you don't mind having a couple of Canadians join this conversation!!! My husband and I have been longtime lurkers on all of the Aussie immigration web-sites - in an effort to obtain as much information as possible during this immigration process. Us Canadians don't have the same types of support forums as all you 'Brits' so we would be most appreciative to join your clan!!!! We, too, are in the process of applying for our business visa (163). Like you, PJ & B - I spent a year in Australia about 15 years ago (89/90) on a work visa - living the majority of the time in Perth, but then venturing off with my back-pack to see the rest of Australia. I knew, from the moment I landed on Aussie soil, that it was my destiny to return one day - permanently. Upon returning to Canada, I met my husband, got married - and have been looking forward to the day that I can bring my husband back to Australia with me. (He's never been there - but has always wanted to go) It's been a long 15 years - but in keeping the Australian dream alive - we're finally in the ideal position of pursuing this dream!!! We just received our WA state sponsorship last week - and were just over the top to hear the wonderful news!!!! It took just over one month - as the SBDC is quite back-logged at the moment - due to a tremendous amount of applicants. Now we are onto the next phase - which will be getting the package submitted to DIMIA. This should happen within the next few weeks. We are using a migration agent - just for peace of mind. We, too, figure that with such a drastic move, change in lifestyle, etc. - what better time to try our hands at something completely new to us. It certainly adds to the excitement - that's forsure!!! If all goes according to plan - we plan on arriving in WA towards the end of this year - providing we're able to sell our existing Canadian business without a hitch!!! It's so nice to see a thread dedicated specifically to this subject - as we had so many questions when we were first starting this process - and sure could have used this type of support. I'm sure we will still be having questions as we go along - and look forward to touching base on this forum. Sorry for the long post!!!!

Hi everyone!
after reading all your latest info especially those of you who are starting up something new out there....am I right in saying that during the 4years you're on your temp visa you still have to prove a turnover of $300.000? surely that is near on impossible to do in just 3 or 4 years???? of starting up. Or have i got it all wrong??? As far as I have read once your temp visa is up (after 4yrs) you can then apply for PR but only if you cover originall criteria and more...which means proving that you can still get that annual turnover ....I'm very confused it all seems such a gamble, I've been looking into Student Visas and thinking about studying in Australia, gaining quals then applying for PR after that??? what do you think???????????
Old Apr 14th 2005, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pasha
Hi Pasha

So we Brits are not the only ones who want to live in Oz....

Has your agent given you any idea as to how long the visa will take? As you may have read in my 1st post we really want to be in Oz by September for my oldest sons sake, so he will not have to start secondary school here.

What part of WA are you headed for? and what type of business are you hoping to start up in Oz? Im really nosey by the way.

Keep in touch about how the visa application is going.

B
Old Apr 14th 2005, 9:03 am
Aussie Citizen

Just had a thought...

If the visas are only taking 12 weeks should we get police checks and meds done? or am i really jumping the gun here.

What do you think?
Good morning PJ & B.... We're getting the ball rolling today with the police checks because our local force reserves the right to take up to 40 days and we don't want this to hold things up. We've been given some good advice about the medicals which is...."once they are taken - that is, the day you go for your medicals - will be the day that DIMIA uses as the start date for the issue of the visa. That is you will have 3, 6 or 12 months to get to Aus from this date. They gave us 12 months from the date we went for our medicals". So we'll wait a while for the meds bacause as you know, we're behind you in the process - we haven't had our sponsorship approved yet..........

Hey Pasha...... Greetings from sunny (not) Blighty...!!! It's good to have you here. This may be called 'British' Expats, but let's face it, all of us on this thread are Aussies at heart anyway.

Hey Stumpy.... stop stressing... if you go with State Sponsorship, the main criteria for getting PR is: business assets of at least A$75k, 1 employee, personal & business assets combined of A$250k and turnover of A$200k.
Don't stress over the turnover - as the saying goes, "the best way to eat an elephant??? ONE bite at a time"!!!!! Convert the turnover (sales) into £ so you're familiar with the currency; A$200k is approx £85k, then break this down and it becomes just £1635 per week or sales of just £327 per day over a 5-day week. This IS achievable even from a new start-up in a completely new field.
If you do want to check out the student visa option, have a look at the thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296253 this may help you as the conversation develops.

Well, gotta go... work to do... and off to print out the police-check application forms so we can tick one more item off the (ever-growing) to-do list.

See ya,
Craig.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Good morning PJ & B.... We're getting the ball rolling today with the police checks because our local force reserves the right to take up to 40 days and we don't want this to hold things up. We've been given some good advice about the medicals which is...."once they are taken - that is, the day you go for your medicals - will be the day that DIMIA uses as the start date for the issue of the visa. That is you will have 3, 6 or 12 months to get to Aus from this date. They gave us 12 months from the date we went for our medicals". So we'll wait a while for the meds bacause as you know, we're behind you in the process - we haven't had our sponsorship approved yet..........

Hey Pasha...... Greetings from sunny (not) Blighty...!!! It's good to have you here. This may be called 'British' Expats, but let's face it, all of us on this thread are Aussies at heart anyway.

Hey Stumpy.... stop stressing... if you go with State Sponsorship, the main criteria for getting PR is: business assets of at least A$75k, 1 employee, personal & business assets combined of A$250k and turnover of A$200k.
Don't stress over the turnover - as the saying goes, "the best way to eat an elephant??? ONE bite at a time"!!!!! Convert the turnover (sales) into £ so you're familiar with the currency; A$200k is approx £85k, then break this down and it becomes just £1635 per week or sales of just £327 per day over a 5-day week. This IS achievable even from a new start-up in a completely new field.
If you do want to check out the student visa option, have a look at the thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296253 this may help you as the conversation develops.

Well, gotta go... work to do... and off to print out the police-check application forms so we can tick one more item off the (ever-growing) to-do list.

See ya,
Craig.
Thanks Craig

will sort out the police checks today, might leave the meds for the time being, still got to sell the house.

Got to go and clean the house now, might have some interested buyers calling today....

See Ya

B
Old Apr 14th 2005, 9:23 am
Aussie Citizen

Originally Posted by stumpysean
I've been looking into Student Visas and thinking about studying in Australia, gaining quals then applying for PR after that??? what do you think???????????
Hi Stumpysean...

Don't know if this may be of any interest to you, but Senator Amanda Vanstone (minister for immigration) has released the figures for 2005-2006 and there's a new category described like this, "A pilot program will be introduced to allow overseas students to undertake traditional trade apprenticeships in regional Australia on a full fee paying basis, and on completion of these, to apply for migration under one of the regional migration visas". The link to the media release is: http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/medi...a05/v05052.htm

Good luck. RT.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by stumpysean
Hi everyone!
after reading all your latest info especially those of you who are starting up something new out there....am I right in saying that during the 4years you're on your temp visa you still have to prove a turnover of $300.000? surely that is near on impossible to do in just 3 or 4 years???? of starting up. Or have i got it all wrong??? As far as I have read once your temp visa is up (after 4yrs) you can then apply for PR but only if you cover originall criteria and more...which means proving that you can still get that annual turnover ....I'm very confused it all seems such a gamble, I've been looking into Student Visas and thinking about studying in Australia, gaining quals then applying for PR after that??? what do you think???????????

Chill out stumpy, you sound really stressed

Personally niether of us could afford to study in Oz as you will need to consider school fee (if you have kids), medical insurance and rent, and only being able to work 20 hours a week. If we were to do that all our assets would be quickly eaten up.

We know starting up a new business is risky, but we are both prepared to give it our best shot, and if it all goes tits up, well cant say we didnt give it a go.

B
Old Apr 14th 2005, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

Hi Stumpysean...

Don't know if this may be of any interest to you, but Senator Amanda Vanstone (minister for immigration) has released the figures for 2005-2006 and there's a new category described like this, "A pilot program will be introduced to allow overseas students to undertake traditional trade apprenticeships in regional Australia on a full fee paying basis, and on completion of these, to apply for migration under one of the regional migration visas". The link to the media release is: http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/medi...a05/v05052.htm

Good luck. RT.
Thanks very much for that.... that is interesting reading, it just worries me that hubby will train in a trade that's on the modl then when we come to apply for PR after 2yrs the job will have been taken off!!!! It says in the media release that new jobs will be added but doesn't mention wether any will be taken off!!!
what do you think????
Thanks again for that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.