Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

British Gas engineer wanting to emigrate,advice needed!!!!

Wikiposts

British Gas engineer wanting to emigrate,advice needed!!!!

Old Dec 28th 2010, 6:34 am
Just Joined

craiga20uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Gas engineer wanting to emigrate,advice needed!!!!

I have been working as a technical engineer within British Gas for the past 4 years,I am now looking into the possibility of applying for a visa to move to Australia.Has anyone out there got any tips for me?I have spent hours trawling through the internet trying to find info about Australian gas companies,and jobs within the gas industry,currently to no avail.Would you reccommend applying for a working holiday visa to start off with,travel to Australia and try to get a job offer from there?Any help would be greatly appreciated.It'd be great to hear from any gas engineers who have already emigrated.Craig
Old Dec 28th 2010, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Gas engineer wanting to emigrate,advice needed!!!!

Have you thought about skilled migrant visas?

The skilled migrant visa process is not a quick one, but it provides PR straight away and you are not tied to an employer. So many people decide they want to emmigrate and it has to be next month, but if you are not in that camp then this might be a good option.

Some people do manage to find employer sponsors but many more do not. Trying to find jobs and a willing sponsor can be futile because most employers do not want to recruit from overseas if they can avoid it. Also, in your occupation, you would almost certainly need to be registered or licensed before you are allowed to work and I think you can only do that once you are in Australia.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 10:01 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply,what is the process of the skilled migrant visa regarding employment?Will I have to search for a job from here in the UK then undergo some kind of assessment in Oz?
Old Dec 28th 2010, 10:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by craiga20uk
Thanks for the reply,what is the process of the skilled migrant visa regarding employment?Will I have to search for a job from here in the UK then undergo some kind of assessment in Oz?
Have a good read of www.immi.gov.au There are many different types of skilled visa, some with sponsorship and some without - you need to get your head round some of the details on that official site first
Old Dec 28th 2010, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

The skilled migrant visa I am referring to does not require an employer sponsor. You apply for the visa on the basis of your skills and then you have to take a leap of faith, move to Australia and look for work.

In your occupation, yes there will be some kind of assessment before you can work, I am not sure what this entails as I am an accountant.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 11:05 am
Just Joined

oooohhh,get you lol.only joking.Thanks for the info guys,i'll have a good look through that website and weigh up my options.Any idea how long a skilled migrant visa usually takes?I'm 27 nearly,and the clock is ticking down to the dreaded 30!!!!!
Old Dec 28th 2010, 3:40 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

oooohhh,get you lol.only joking.Thanks for the info guys,i'll have a good look through that website and weigh up my options.Any idea how long a skilled migrant visa usually takes?I'm 27 nearly,and the clock is ticking down to the dreaded 30!!!!!
Anywhere from 12 months to 3 years depending on your skill and other factors.

Oh, and 30 is hardly old. We emigrated when I was 43
Old Dec 28th 2010, 7:15 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

I have been working as a technical engineer within British Gas for the past 4 years,I am now looking into the possibility of applying for a visa to move to Australia.Has anyone out there got any tips for me?I have spent hours trawling through the internet trying to find info about Australian gas companies,and jobs within the gas industry,currently to no avail.Would you reccommend applying for a working holiday visa to start off with,travel to Australia and try to get a job offer from there?Any help would be greatly appreciated.It'd be great to hear from any gas engineers who have already emigrated.Craig
Before even applying for the Visa you'll need to be assessed by TRA as 334114 GASFITTER and get a positive Skills Assessment.

No skills assessment no 175/176 visa although you can still apply for a temp employer sonsored 457 visa.

TRA like apprenticeships, did you do one with British Gas? If not there are several pathways but I believe the pure RPL pathway has been removed?

It can take a couple of months to process the skills side and then there is a proposed change to the points system which effectively reduces the points available to trades workers as opposed to degree qualified applicants. In short get the ball rolling now if you're serious
Old Dec 29th 2010, 4:35 am
Just Joined

Yeah I did do an apprenticeship through British Gas,will this be of any advantage to me?Do you mean that I will have to be assessed over in Oz,before even starting the visa application process?I am looking to visit towards the end of 2011 for a couple of weeks to check out a few cities,i'd like to start the ball rolling before then hopefully though.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 4:52 am
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I did do an apprenticeship through British Gas,will this be of any advantage to me?Do you mean that I will have to be assessed over in Oz,before even starting the visa application process?I am looking to visit towards the end of 2011 for a couple of weeks to check out a few cities,i'd like to start the ball rolling before then hopefully though.
The apprenticeship means you should breeze the TRA skills assessment. This is phase one of the process. I'd advise doing this now and it only costs $300

If you want to get to Oz quickly as a PR then check out the state SMPs to see if you are listed. Note also that these may have funds requirements and greater IELTS and experience requirements. If you meet the 175 points threshold (120) then that gives you more freedom than a State Sponsored 176.

I really would get the application in asap to avoid any possible problems with the new points test.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 6:30 am
Just Joined

Sorry if i'm being ignorant,but I didn't understand any of those abbreviations lol.Could you put it in simpleton terms for me please I do wanna get the ball rolling asap,just dunno where to start in regards to this skills assessment.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 6:32 am
Shiny Arse Know All

Sorry if i'm being ignorant,but I didn't understand any of those abbreviations lol.Could you put it in simpleton terms for me please I do wanna get the ball rolling asap,just dunno where to start in regards to this skills assessment.
TRA = Trades Recognition Australia

SMP = State Migration Plan

IELTS = International English Language Test

Old Dec 29th 2010, 6:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
TRA = Trades Recognition Australia

SMP = State Migration Plan

IELTS = International English Language Test

Nice one,thanks
Old Mar 4th 2011, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

humpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nice

I looked into doing the TRA gasfitting visa, It got pulled up straight away, My apprenticeship was also with British Gas under there adult apprenticeship scheme SFL, it was only a short apprenticeship scheme and the TRA didnt recognise it, load of balls really, I only put a dummy application in, paid about 150 quid to get a basic assessment to get the news back, they want longer apprenticeships, 3-4 years, I ended up coming out on my wifes visa as it turned out, she qualified as a nurse shortly after me getting initial rejection, Ive heard of other British Gas guys getting in so different migration agents say different things