Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

(British/Chinese)Is there any chance of us getting into Australia?

(British/Chinese)Is there any chance of us getting into Australia?

Old Nov 24th 2013, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

gorgym is an unknown quantity at this point
Default (British/Chinese)Is there any chance of us getting into Australia?

Me: British citizen, degree in economics from a UK university, 24 years old and teaching English in China (no work experience except for this). Fluent in Mandarin and not bad in Cantonese.

My wife: China PRC citizen, degree in mathematics from a Chinese university and a master's degree in TEFL from a UK university. 3 years experience in teaching English. Native speaker of both Mandarin and Cantonese and totally fluent in English.

I lived with a friend in Australia for a couple of months and fell in love with the country and it's our dream to move to Australia. Please tell us the cold hard truth - do we qualify?
Old Nov 24th 2013, 5:02 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: (British/Chinese)Is there any chance of us getting into Australia?

Originally Posted by gorgym
Me: British citizen, degree in economics from a UK university, 24 years old and teaching English in China (no work experience except for this). Fluent in Mandarin and not bad in Cantonese.

My wife: China PRC citizen, degree in mathematics from a Chinese university and a master's degree in TEFL from a UK university. 3 years experience in teaching English. Native speaker of both Mandarin and Cantonese and totally fluent in English.

I lived with a friend in Australia for a couple of months and fell in love with the country and it's our dream to move to Australia. Please tell us the cold hard truth - do we qualify?
Hi gorgym - Have a look at the BE guide to skilled migration - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/A_Roug...lled_Migration.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

Thanks! I got confused by the very first sentence.. there's probably no hope for me

It says "you need to make sure that your occupation is on either the SOL or CSOL" - what exactly is "your occupation"? Does it mean an occupation that you have had experience in? Or can you choose an occupation that interests you?

Personally, my intended career path is to be an accountant (wherever I eventually end up, be it back in the UK or abroad). Does that mean I should choose accountant from the SOL.. even though I have no experience or qualifications (except for my degree which is relevant)?

I see that on the CSOL, there is this little glimmer of hope:

"Teacher of English to Speakers of Other Languages"

Now.. this is exactly what me and my wife do, and have done for the past few years. Although I do not have any teaching qualifications, she has a TESOL masters degree and a Chinese teaching qualification. Maybe there is hope?

Am I right in assuming that if my wife is allowed in, I can follow her?
Old Nov 24th 2013, 6:25 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! I got confused by the very first sentence.. there's probably no hope for me

It says "you need to make sure that your occupation is on either the SOL or CSOL" - what exactly is "your occupation"? Does it mean an occupation that you have had experience in? Or can you choose an occupation that interests you?

Personally, my intended career path is to be an accountant (wherever I eventually end up, be it back in the UK or abroad). Does that mean I should choose accountant from the SOL.. even though I have no experience or qualifications (except for my degree which is relevant)?

Now.. this is exactly what me and my wife do, and have done for the past few years. Although I do not have any teaching qualifications, she has a TESOL masters degree and a Chinese teaching qualification. Maybe there is hope?

If your wife qualifies for a skilled visa then you can be included in the same application. You would need to see who the assessing body is for the TESOL occupation, and whether she can pass the skills assessment.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 8:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

It means an occupation you are in, not what you want to be in. Obviously Australia does not hand out visas to people because tey say they want to follow a particular occupation on the list..

So from your post, the only avenue you appear to have is the TEFL one, see if either of you can pass skills assessment and then see if you can find a state or employer sponsor.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

Ok, thanks to you two. So, basically, to get a visa, either I or my wife need to go down the TEFL route and see if we pass/can get sponsorship (etc).

Failing that, the only other option (the long term one) is for us to return home to the UK and follow my career path and train to become an accountant there, and see if Aus will have us then. Does that sound right?
Old Nov 24th 2013, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

It appears your wife may be eligible for a role on the CSOL. So the next step is to see if any of the states are sponsoring. So you need to check out the list for each state to see if it is on any of them.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

RURUS is an unknown quantity at this point

From what you have posted, you should be OK. Consult an experienced RMA (Registered Migration Agent).
Old Nov 25th 2013, 10:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
It means an occupation you are in
I might be wrong, but I don't think you actually have to be in that occupation. You just choose the occupation that you have experience in and wish to nominate as your occupation of choice.

I wonder if I could apply as a cook? Worked in a restaurant as a part time cook for 3 years
Old Nov 25th 2013, 10:49 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I might be wrong, but I don't think you actually have to be in that occupation. You just choose the occupation that you have experience in and wish to nominate as your occupation of choice.

I wonder if I could apply as a cook? Worked in a restaurant as a part time cook for 3 years
Hahaa - no!

Whichever occupation you choose on the SOL or CSOL list, you have to be able to pass the skills assessment for that occupation. A skills assessment isn't just a quick look at how you work, it's an in-depth written process that has a minimum standard of particular qualifications and work experience - all of which has to be backed up. I think your best chance, if you want to come over quickly, is through your wife's quals and experience as others have said.

Like your style though - part time cook Good luck!

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Nov 25th 2013 at 10:51 am. Reason: you're/your/damn!
Old Nov 27th 2013, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

RURUS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Hahaa - no!

Whichever occupation you choose on the SOL or CSOL list, you have to be able to pass the skills assessment for that occupation. A skills assessment isn't just a quick look at how you work, it's an in-depth written process that has a minimum standard of particular qualifications and work experience - all of which has to be backed up. I think your best chance, if you want to come over quickly, is through your wife's quals and experience as others have said.

Like your style though - part time cook Good luck!
Check NAATI
Old Nov 27th 2013, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by RURUS
Check NAATI
why?