British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Bringing Grandma to Oz?? Help PLEASE! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/bringing-grandma-oz-help-please-663675/)

suzy a Apr 12th 2010 3:09 pm

Bringing Grandma to Oz?? Help PLEASE!

I'm actually posting this on behalf of a good friend who is trying to find out if there is any way she can get her mother over to Australia with her and her children. Any advice appreciated. :thumbup: My friend has contacted a well know mirgration agent but is still waiting for them to call her back. I have detailed her circumstances below.

Female 32 year old single parent with two children aged 9 & 2, who is looking to move herself and family to Australia. She is a fully qualified Paraplanner, and own's her own UK based Paraplanning Ltd Company, she has the option to continue running from anywhere.
Main issue is that her 55yr old mother lives with her. Her mother is the main carer for her children, while she works. Her mother works part time as a team leader providing support for adults with learning difficulties.
They all want to go out at the same time on a PR visa if possible.

Once again any help and advice appreciated:thumbsup:

welshtony Apr 12th 2010 3:23 pm

Re: Bringing Grandma to Oz?? Help PLEASE!

Hi Suzy

Her mother would have to meet the de4finition of "member of the family unit" and so must:
1 - not have a spouse or de-facto partner
2 - be usually resident in her daughter's househol;d
3 - be financially dependent on her daughter for her basic needs of food, clothes and shelter

This third one will be the problem I would imagine.

Regards

Tony

rammygirl Apr 12th 2010 3:56 pm

Long shot this one but it might be possible for the business to sponsor the mum to help set up OZ business. The age might be an issue but if she can prove that it would be difficult to find anyone else with the skills/knowledge and experience and the position is essential to the success of the business..............................

A UK based business can sponsor someone but think it would be a temp visa initially.

Is she looking at a GSM visa or a business skills visa for herself?

I think a good agent should be able to give any possible options but it won't be straightforward.

suzy a Apr 12th 2010 4:56 pm

Hi Tony

Thanks for your reply.

Good to know its not a 'no chance!', but I agree the third one could be a problem!

Suzy

Originally Posted by welshtony (Post 8490341)
Hi Suzy

Her mother would have to meet the de4finition of "member of the family unit" and so must:
1 - not have a spouse or de-facto partner
2 - be usually resident in her daughter's househol;d
3 - be financially dependent on her daughter for her basic needs of food, clothes and shelter

This third one will be the problem I would imagine.

Regards

Tony

louie Apr 12th 2010 5:06 pm

First question is whether paraplanner is on the skills list. I haven't looked, but I'd be surprised if it was, though I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

welshtony Apr 12th 2010 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by louie (Post 8490641)
First question is whether paraplanner is on the skills list. I haven't looked, but I'd be surprised if it was, though I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

Financial Planning Adviser ASCO 3213-11 - currently a 40 point occupation requiring Diploma qualification plus 1 or 2 years experience. When ANZSCO comes in and if on new SOL, will be a 50 point occupation requiring a degree level qualification plus 1 or 2 years experience. Suzy's friend may be applying for a business skills visa which is based on her current business.

Regards

Tony

suzy a Apr 12th 2010 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by welshtony (Post 8490734)
Financial Planning Adviser ASCO 3213-11 - currently a 40 point occupation requiring Diploma qualification plus 1 or 2 years experience. When ANZSCO comes in and if on new SOL, will be a 50 point occupation requiring a degree level qualification plus 1 or 2 years experience. Suzy's friend may be applying for a business skills visa which is based on her current business.

Regards

Tony

Hi Tony

Yes my friend is fully qualified with a degree and has more that 2 years experience. :thumbup:
Visa options for her are obviously the business visa but she is also considering ENS, but this all depends on what is best to get her mum over to australia too!

Thanks again

Suzy

JAJ Apr 13th 2010 12:12 am

There may be no option to take her mother with her. If not, is it possible to plan to sponsor for a contributory parent visa after a few years? Would balance of family, etc, be met?

Bermudashorts Apr 13th 2010 7:10 am

Originally Posted by suzy a (Post 8490612)
Hi Tony

Thanks for your reply.

Good to know its not a 'no chance!', but I agree the third one could be a problem!

Suzy

I think that the third one is a lot more than a problem, I think it is a showstopper for anyone in the developed world. A parent visa seems the way to go if she qualifies.

suzy a Apr 13th 2010 8:11 am

Hi All

Just to say thanks for all the replies!! Very helpful.:thumbsup:

My friend is going to chase up the migration company she called last week to see if they can come up with anything.

Once again thanks!:D

Suzy

suzy a Apr 13th 2010 8:13 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 8491387)
There may be no option to take her mother with her. If not, is it possible to plan to sponsor for a contributory parent visa after a few years? Would balance of family, etc, be met?

Hi JAJ

The problem is she does'nt want to leave her mother in the UK for a few years she wants to take her with her. I guess this is really her only option though but one I don't think she will take.:thumbdown:

Thanks for your help.

Suzy

welshtony Apr 13th 2010 8:36 am

As bermuda says, 3 should be a show-stopper for any inclusion in her daughter's visa. So they need to come up with a long-term strategy/solution. Depending on assets, the retirement/investor visa may be possible for her mother - not a great visa on its own, but it can be a great bridge for the C-Parent visa which could be about 4 years away assuming she would meet the Balance of Family for it. Visitor visas to cover a 4 year period are only relaistic if she is prepared to spend an average of 6 months a year in Australia.

Regards

Tony

suzy a Apr 13th 2010 8:50 am

Originally Posted by welshtony (Post 8492152)
As bermuda says, 3 should be a show-stopper for any inclusion in her daughter's visa. So they need to come up with a long-term strategy/solution. Depending on assets, the retirement/investor visa may be possible for her mother - not a great visa on its own, but it can be a great bridge for the C-Parent visa which could be about 4 years away assuming she would meet the Balance of Family for it. Visitor visas to cover a 4 year period are only relaistic if she is prepared to spend an average of 6 months a year in Australia.

Regards

Tony

Hi Tony

I think the brick wall has been hit. The retirement/investor visa is not an option finncially and the parent visa is a no go as she does'nt want to leave her mum here for 4 years. The visitor visa again only valid 6 months per year so not an option either. I have spoken with my friend this morning and she has accepted that for her at the moment moving to Australia is a no go area. Maybe in the future her circumstances may change and she can look at it again but for now she accepts it is a closed door.

Thanks for all your help.;)

Suzy

welshtony Apr 13th 2010 9:42 am

Oh Well, we tried. Other possibility is that mother gets a student visa to do some welfare course ? I am quickly running out of ideas.

Regards

Tony

suzy a Apr 13th 2010 10:23 am

Originally Posted by welshtony (Post 8492281)
Oh Well, we tried. Other possibility is that mother gets a student visa to do some welfare course ? I am quickly running out of ideas.

Regards

Tony

Good idea Tony will run the student visa past my friend!! :thumbsup:

Suzy