Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Breakdown of Relationship - How much time to leave?

Breakdown of Relationship - How much time to leave?

Old Jun 4th 2013, 2:25 am
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Breakdown of Relationship - How much time to leave?

Hi all,

long time no speak.

Just a quick one one today, does anyone know whether there have been changes to the Spouse Visa at all?

A friend seems to think that one now has 3 months to leave the country after DIAC has been informed of the breakdown of a relationship? I understand it was only 28 days - I know for a fact that it was 28 days as I had to go through all of it years ago.

Thank you all !!!!!
Old Jun 4th 2013, 2:42 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Breakdown of Relationship - How much time to leave?

28 days seems rather harsh!!!!
Old Jun 4th 2013, 3:08 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rubbeldiekatz
Hi all,

long time no speak.

Just a quick one one today, does anyone know whether there have been changes to the Spouse Visa at all?

A friend seems to think that one now has 3 months to leave the country after DIAC has been informed of the breakdown of a relationship? I understand it was only 28 days - I know for a fact that it was 28 days as I had to go through all of it years ago.

Thank you all !!!!!
Well, it depends. Are they on the temporary part of the visa or has the PR part been issued?

And yes, it's usually 28 days from what I understand.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 3:13 am
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Well, it depends. Are they on the temporary part of the visa or has the PR part been issued?

And yes, it's usually 28 days from what I understand.
No they are still on the Temp part.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 4:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

No they are still on the Temp part.
Still 28 days as far as I'm aware. They shouldn't inform DIAC until there's no chance of rescuing the relationship
Old Jun 5th 2013, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

xhuyx is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

long time no speak.

Thank you all !!!!!
It's 28 days counting from the day you receive the letter from DIAC confirming the official decision of your application.

it's the best to withdraw your application before DIAC make the decision if you know for sure there's not a chance to rescue the relationship. Then you will not have a record of DIAC refusing your visa application.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

StSabre is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by xhuyx
It's 28 days counting from the day you receive the letter from DIAC confirming the official decision of your application.

it's the best to withdraw your application before DIAC make the decision if you know for sure there's not a chance to rescue the relationship. Then you will not have a record of DIAC refusing your visa application.
I think the person concerned already has the provisional visa.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 4:13 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StSabre
I think the person concerned already has the provisional visa.
When notifying DIAC that the relationship is over they will also have to notify DIAC that they are withdrawing the Spouse PR application - they cannot continue without it if the relationship is over - except in a few rare cases such as if there is an Aussie child involved, or if domestic violence has occurred.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 7:17 am
Melbourne Rock City

Thats what I thought, thank you Guys !!!
Old Jun 6th 2013, 10:15 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Hallo Herr Katze,

We see people quite frequently who have morphed to a new relationship while still on a temporary spouse visa sponsored by someone else, so the question is really how much time do you have after advising DIAC. If you advise DIAC and withdraw the permanent application associated with your temporary visa and then, yes, it's 28 days. If one the other hand you advise DIAC but don't withdraw the permanent visa application then it would take longer for DIAC to make a decision (having ruled out the three grounds under which you're able to stay) and then you can appeal to the MRT. This might all take longer than two years.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Jun 6th 2013, 10:44 am
Just Joined

spousalvisa is an unknown quantity at this point

This might be a weird question but just want to know what people make of that.

For visas that have been granted on spousal relationships, it it ethical to retain the visa even if the relationship breaks after the 2 year period.( i know it does not impact the visa).

My friend is going through a divorce and is from france. she is now an aussi citizen but initially came to aus through her husband's sponsorship... someone rude to her said she should get the hell out this country as the relationship no longer exists and it is no longer ethical to remain an aussi citizen....

Wonder what people feel about this?
Old Jun 6th 2013, 10:50 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spousalvisa

For visas that have been granted on spousal relationships, it it ethical to retain the visa even if the relationship breaks after the 2 year period.( i know it does not impact the visa).

My friend is going through a divorce and is from france. she is now an aussi citizen but initially came to aus through her husband's sponsorship... someone rude to her said she should get the hell out this country as the relationship no longer exists and it is no longer ethical to remain an aussi citizen....

Hi spousalvisa,

That was very mean - I would tell your friend to ignore comments like that.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 10:52 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Ethics? DIAC? There are some very complex issues there, thankfully they don't arise in this case.

If she has the permanent visa according to the rules then there is no issue - and no-one should be forced to remain in a relationship in order to retain citizenship.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Jun 6th 2013, 10:55 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=spousalvisa;10743676]This might be a weird question but just want to know what people make of that.

Wonder what people feel about this?[/QUOTE

Your friend obtained her Australian citizenship legally. She's as entitled to live here as I am, who was born here, as were my parents. The person who was so abusive to her sounds like an idiot.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 12:53 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by spousalvisa

She came here in good faith, she was in the relationship for as long as she could be, and at no time did she claim to be in a relationship with her sponsor when she wasn't - so what's the problem? Many people also came here as spouses of people who got skills visas, their marriages have broken down too, yet they have PR and can stay. Of course its ethical. The only time it isn't ethical is when the relationship isn't genuine and they are together SOLELY to get one person a visa.

I came here on a Prospective Marriage Visa, in good faith, my then partner and I intended to stay together forever - but we didn't. The relationship collapsed a few years after I got PR, though we are still friends. I'm now a citizen. I have a few choice words I would like to say to the person who spoke to your friend........and they aren't polite!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.