Wikiposts

Bond question????

Old Apr 22nd 2004, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future
Default Bond question????

I have emailed this question to my agent but just wondering if anyone else has any suggestions;
We did our medicals/police checks at the end of March but haven't heard anything since. We will now be into the 12 month validating period and so are starting to look at flights for us to validate and have a recce. We can only go during school holiday time (hubby a teacher, daughter at school) therefore this coming summer holiday is the only time we can realistically go (xmas too expensive and would only give us about 10 days there and next easter hols prob outwith the 12 months). I would like to book flights now as they get more and more expensive every time I look- but don't want to get caught out by having flight tickets and no visas. Anyway, (if you're still with me!) my question is- we have our bond money sitting in bank account waiting to be requested. Is there anything we can do that will save on time eg I don't suppose we can send it unrequested but what kind of arrangements can we make now that will speed things up when it is requested?
Also I know it's like asking how long is a piece of string but do you think it's too risky to book flights for July17 now in anticipation of having the visas by then?
Thanks for any info/thoughts/suggestions
Yvonne
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 1:25 am
Visa'd Up Dutch Member

flying dutchman will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bond question????

Originally posted by YFitz
I have emailed this question to my agent but just wondering if anyone else has any suggestions;
We did our medicals/police checks at the end of March but haven't heard anything since. We will now be into the 12 month validating period and so are starting to look at flights for us to validate and have a recce. We can only go during school holiday time (hubby a teacher, daughter at school) therefore this coming summer holiday is the only time we can realistically go (xmas too expensive and would only give us about 10 days there and next easter hols prob outwith the 12 months). I would like to book flights now as they get more and more expensive every time I look- but don't want to get caught out by having flight tickets and no visas. Anyway, (if you're still with me!) my question is- we have our bond money sitting in bank account waiting to be requested. Is there anything we can do that will save on time eg I don't suppose we can send it unrequested but what kind of arrangements can we make now that will speed things up when it is requested?
Also I know it's like asking how long is a piece of string but do you think it's too risky to book flights for July17 now in anticipation of having the visas by then?
Yvonne
Yvonne, Can't be of much help i'm afraid. We are in the same boat though - partner is a teacher and we can only validate this summer. Just submitted the meds and police checks and our app is really straight-forward so I am hoping we get the visas by the summer. Fingers crossed!
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future

Originally posted by flying dutchman
Yvonne, Can't be of much help i'm afraid. We are in the same boat though - partner is a teacher and we can only validate this summer. Just submitted the meds and police checks and our app is really straight-forward so I am hoping we get the visas by the summer. Fingers crossed!
Thanks for that- it's just really stressful! I got a good quote for flights yesterday but the offer is only valid until Friday- I just don't know whether to bite the bullet and book them and keep everything crossed that the visas make it in time- otherwise I'll have 5 useless airline tickets. Just don't know what to do!! What about you- are you going to book anyway and hope for the best?
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 8:47 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

i think go matilda had a thread on here about the bond system, it gave the emails for the government banks to use, you could save time by getting in touch with them now, and getting the forms from them ready to send, have done this myself, have chosen WA as it was 5.05%, got the forms emailed over and instructions on how to pay bond. Seems very easy and straightforward, you fax form to them, transfer cash into their account details, and post form to them, get certificate back, this is your proof you have paid it, i think there is another form that goes to dimia. So basically the cash can be transfered in a day, pretty quick.
Have alook for the thread, think it said something about capital investment.

jenny
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 8:05 pm
Visa'd Up Dutch Member

flying dutchman will become famous soon enough

Thanks for that- it's just really stressful! I got a good quote for flights yesterday but the offer is only valid until Friday- I just don't know whether to bite the bullet and book them and keep everything crossed that the visas make it in time- otherwise I'll have 5 useless airline tickets. Just don't know what to do!! What about you- are you going to book anyway and hope for the best?
Given all the obstacles thast have come up so far in this process, i think we will wait until we have the visas then trot off to the travel agent to book the flights. I am stressed enough without addinig to it!

As for the bond, I have selected the state we are going with (SA) following a midnight session of calls to the different treasury departments. SA is offering the best interest rate, and their customer service is pretty good.

The bond money is sitting in dollars with Halewood (HIFX.co.uk) and they have instructions to send it to SA. Just need the authorisation from Adelaide and it'll be there in 24 hours.

Oh why does it all have to take so long....
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 3:37 am
Look at me kimmie

leanda will become famous soon enoughleanda will become famous soon enough

Yvonne

In exactly the same position, but am sure that due to the end of June deadline that they are working towards I am hopeful that they will rush through any visas that can be rushed through in the next couple of months, on a different note: I went to the travel agents yesterday just to get an idea on prices and they said that flights in July are expensive but go down in price in August and June is pretty much booked up now for Singapore Airlines (who we want to go with). Lets hope we all hear something soon!!!
Old Apr 24th 2004, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by jensteve
i think go matilda had a thread on here about the bond system, it gave the emails for the government banks to use, you could save time by getting in touch with them now, and getting the forms from them ready to send, have done this myself, have chosen WA as it was 5.05%, got the forms emailed over and instructions on how to pay bond. Seems very easy and straightforward, you fax form to them, transfer cash into their account details, and post form to them, get certificate back, this is your proof you have paid it, i think there is another form that goes to dimia. So basically the cash can be transfered in a day, pretty quick.
Have alook for the thread, think it said something about capital investment.

jenny
Jenny,FD and leanda
Thankyou for your help and advice. I'll definately start looking at interest rates and getting forms sorted out now. Have decided we won't book any flights just yet- will be too stressful, not to mention expensive if the visas aren't issued in time. Haven't a clue when we'll manage to get them validated if we can't get there this summer...... don't think the airlines do day returns to Sydney....
Yvonne x