Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

BMS Commissioning Engineer - SOL, Visa, Employment, Timeframe

BMS Commissioning Engineer - SOL, Visa, Employment, Timeframe

Old Jun 19th 2016, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

JamRich87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BMS Commissioning Engineer - SOL, Visa, Employment, Timeframe

Hi all,

If anyone can give me any advice at all I would be extremely grateful!

My plan is that in 3 years time me, my wife & 3 children (8,6,4) will move to Oz to start a new life. Hopefully Melbourne but ultimately I will go wherever the work is.

I am a BEMS Commissioning Engineer, Primarily Trend but also Delta as well. Im 31 and at the time of hopefully moving I will have been a commissioning engineer for 8 years but in total will have 14 years experience overall in Design, Test, Install & Commissioning of BMS & HVAC systems.

My main concern is that I am not a qualified spark, Although my knowledge is exceptional due to gaining a lot of experience over the past 10 years. As a commissioning engineer I have a team of sparks who essentially work for me.

I am not fully qualified in anything although I do have a C&G level 2 in Electrical/electronic servicing. I've been very fortunate to get where I am in my career.

I have also done a few of the trend courses.

MY QUESTIONS......

1. Which route do I go down to get a permanent skilled visa? SOL's etc
2. Is the BMS sector similar to the UK?
3. What kind of salary could I expect? I earn £37000 currently in the UK
4. Would I need to gain any extra quals? Either here or down under?

If you can answer any 1 of my questions that would be a great help.

Thanks in advance

JamRich87
Old Jun 20th 2016, 1:04 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BMS Commissioning Engineer - SOL, Visa, Employment, Timeframe

Originally Posted by JamRich87
Hi all,

If anyone can give me any advice at all I would be extremely grateful!

My plan is that in 3 years time me, my wife & 3 children (8,6,4) will move to Oz to start a new life. Hopefully Melbourne but ultimately I will go wherever the work is.

I am a BEMS Commissioning Engineer, Primarily Trend but also Delta as well. Im 31 and at the time of hopefully moving I will have been a commissioning engineer for 8 years but in total will have 14 years experience overall in Design, Test, Install & Commissioning of BMS & HVAC systems.

My main concern is that I am not a qualified spark, Although my knowledge is exceptional due to gaining a lot of experience over the past 10 years. As a commissioning engineer I have a team of sparks who essentially work for me.

I am not fully qualified in anything although I do have a C&G level 2 in Electrical/electronic servicing. I've been very fortunate to get where I am in my career.

I have also done a few of the trend courses.

MY QUESTIONS......

1. Which route do I go down to get a permanent skilled visa? SOL's etc
2. Is the BMS sector similar to the UK?
3. What kind of salary could I expect? I earn £37000 currently in the UK
4. Would I need to gain any extra quals? Either here or down under?

If you can answer any 1 of my questions that would be a great help.

Thanks in advance

JamRich87
For a skilled PR visa you need an occupation on the SOL/CSOL. If your occupation is on either list, you then need to check whether or not you can pass the skills assessment in that occupation. If you have an occupation on the SOL, and can pass the skills assessment in that occupation, you then need to check whether or not you can pass the points test for a skilled visa. If the occupation is only on the CSOL, then you will also need to look at whether or not any states are sponsoring that occupation, and what additional criteria you need to meet.

Can't answer much on salaries for BMS or HVAC. My guess is though that you will need additional qualifications.

SOL - https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/...ions-lists/SOL

CSOL - https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/...ons-lists/CSOL

Skills assessing bodies are listed next to the occupation.