British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Birth Certificate - Which one??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/birth-certificate-one-565023/)

AndyR Oct 3rd 2008 7:10 pm

Birth Certificate - Which one???

We are just about to submit our 175 visa online and have got to the part where we need to upload a copy of our birth certificate.

Both the wife and I have the originals from our parents which we have always used in the past, however we've been told by a couple of people now these are the wrong ones? The ones we have have our details on but not our parents names etc which apparently is the ones we need. I've had a hunt on the web and it seems like you have to pay £40 each for the privlage of the full one saying your parents names, but can anyone clarify if this is needed?

Surely the version we all have by default and the one we have used for the last 28 years is sufficient, but obviously don't want to send it off and have it rejected for this.

Thx.

Tammyj Oct 3rd 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Birth Certificate - Which one???

Sorry but I've been told it has to be the full one.

DIAC website shout confirm. The document checklist should say.

memewest Oct 3rd 2008 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by AndyR (Post 6842383)
We are just about to submit our 175 visa online and have got to the part where we need to upload a copy of our birth certificate.

Both the wife and I have the originals from our parents which we have always used in the past, however we've been told by a couple of people now these are the wrong ones? The ones we have have our details on but not our parents names etc which apparently is the ones we need. I've had a hunt on the web and it seems like you have to pay £40 each for the privlage of the full one saying your parents names, but can anyone clarify if this is needed?

Surely the version we all have by default and the one we have used for the last 28 years is sufficient, but obviously don't want to send it off and have it rejected for this.

Thx.

I had to get the full birth cert for my OH as we only had the short one. It is definately the one with your parents names on that you need.

£40.. :eek: I only paid £7 for my OH's.

You need to ring the registry office in the town of birth and quiz them on the price...

AndyR Oct 3rd 2008 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by memewest (Post 6842461)
I had to get the full birth cert for my OH as we only had the short one. It is definately the one with your parents names on that you need.

£40.. :eek: I only paid £7 for my OH's.

You need to ring the registry office in the town of birth and quiz them on the price...

OK thanks, I'll give them a call tomorrow. Gutted as didn't realise there was 2 kinds as me and the misses only have the short ones as thats all we have ever needed.

Dam, another delay now :(

Annehe28 Oct 3rd 2008 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by AndyR (Post 6842500)
OK thanks, I'll give them a call tomorrow. Gutted as didn't realise there was 2 kinds as me and the misses only have the short ones as thats all we have ever needed.

Dam, another delay now :(

The delay won't be that long. The registry office can turn them around in a week. If you live near were you where born why don't you go in and get it on the same day??

Only cost me £7 from registry office but online cost's £10 at the GRO.

sooperlids Oct 3rd 2008 8:55 pm

Our local office only takes 1 day to get one. Think it cost us about £10. Doubt you will be waiting a week. :thumbup:

Wez and Chris Oct 3rd 2008 9:37 pm

Hey Andy

Just heard from my Case Officer and I couldn't understand why he was requesting our birth certificates as I had uploaded them however my husband and I have an abbreviated Birth certificate and we needed birth certificate with both parents name (ie full birth certificate) especially as My mum and dad are sponsoring us. We went into our local registrar and paid £8.50 for a full birth certificate. I believe it is cheaper if you take you abbreviated birth certificate into their offices than it is if you dont.

Hope this helps
:thumbsup:

AndyR Oct 3rd 2008 9:52 pm

Cool thanks guys. I live a fair way from where I was born so might have to get that by post but the misses was born in the same town we live so might go in and sort that.

Thanks for clarifing it for me. Much appriciated!

Wez and Chris Oct 3rd 2008 9:55 pm

Hi Andy our local office turned our full birth certificates around in ten minutes. Maybe the case for you wife as local :D

ollieclaret Oct 3rd 2008 10:36 pm

Hi All
we have just got PR with the short ones for me and the mrs, our agent told us she would submit the short ones and we may get a notification to get the long ones.
it was 7 pounds eachfor the long ones but as were in oz we thought we would risk it.
Our PR was submitted 18th sept and granted 30th sept. In short we didnt need the long ones.......
but...... our agent said she has never heard of this happening before.
Good luck
Darren

SillyOldBag Oct 3rd 2008 10:59 pm

I actually went in and got an extra copy of both mine and my daughter's full birth certificate before we moved out to Australia as I thought in case we ever lose the original it would be easier to have got the second one while we were in UK. It only occurred to me when I had to go in about something else, so I thought I might as well while I was there!