Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

The big move - Torn between job sponsorship of going it alone for visa.

Wikiposts

The big move - Torn between job sponsorship of going it alone for visa.

Old May 24th 2011, 6:43 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The big move - Torn between job sponsorship of going it alone for visa.

Definitely pay for the independent visa!

There are ways and means of getting more points (taking IELTS test for example) It is possible.
As BM says there is a new test later this year.

I would advise that you start on the skills assessment paperwork asap..... it's an absolute pain to complete, like the worst homework assignment ever, and it can take months to complete, esp if you need to get references from previous employers and you don't have all the paperwork to hand!

Good luck!
Old May 24th 2011, 9:27 am
Just Joined

ash-pd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The big move - Torn between job sponsorship of going it alone for visa.

thank's for all your help guys! i'll look into the new points test &see if it's best to wait until then. In the mean time we'll have to save the pennies for all the fees
Old May 24th 2011, 7:16 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ash-pd
Thanks for all of your replies, it's good to get some input from people with a bit more know-how than ourselves. I completed the visa application lastnight, however I havent paid and sumbitted this. We have 115 points, and the threshold is 120...does anyone know of any other visa options we can apply on, as we our daughter we cannot apply for the years working visa......?
Does your partner have a positive skills assessment yet? No sense in filling out a visa application without one.

Also, the rules are changing in July, so you're going to need to either get his skills done ASAP and apply before 30 June (hoping DIAC don't suspend applications) or qualify after 1 July.

For points have you looked at WA state sponsorship? You only need 100 points for that. However, again you would need to have a positive skills assessment first (takes time) and then apply for sponsorship (takes even more time). It may be worth a few bob to speak to a MARA registered migration agent about your options.

Oh, and I think you would be surprised how crap the pay is for the security industry here. Take a look at how much those jobs pay and the cost of living for Perth before deciding that it's a good move. Perth is by no means inexpensive, and electronic security is not a very high paying job here - and the market is pretty small (my OH works as an electronic engineer for one of the bigger ones)