British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Big, Hairy, Bitie, Beasties (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/big-hairy-bitie-beasties-79966/)

shamer May 23rd 2002 11:20 am

Big, Hairy, Bitie, Beasties

I have just been advised that we will be getting our pregrant letter any day now, and the dream of Oz will now become a reality.

Since the news everything has now become technicolour and scarier than before. We have been soaking up every piece of info we could for the last 2 years about Oz, and absolutly can't wait to get out there.

Now we have to deal with the biggest problem, THE BEASTIES!!!!!! (For everyone who is not Scottish that means the spiders, lizards, snakes etc).

Can anyone advise two of the worlds worst arachnaphobics who love the outdoors how they managed to overcome there terror of seeing a spider the size of a mouse on there bathroom wall?

Are there places in Oz that have less of these things?

I know Huntsmans dont kill you, but I think dying of a Heart attack is just as bad as being stung.

Please don't say you just get used to them, because I am still not used to the wee farty things you get here in Scotland.

Any advice would be welcome (exept stay in Scotland, that aint happining)

Many thanks in advance

Shamer

rday May 23rd 2002 11:52 am

Re: Big, Hairy, Bitie, Beasties

i havent got any advice
but thanx for making me laugh

rday

rday May 23rd 2002 11:54 am

hey,maybe some hypnotherapy

Jacqui May 23rd 2002 12:09 pm

You're definitely not alone on this one. I'm scared of spiders and my husband's scared of snakes, like you we're not going to let these silly phobias stop our dream of going to Oz. My sister has been in Perth for 10 years now, and she still checks under the bed at night for any creepy crawlies! She has never mentioned having anything real scary in the house, I guess you have to be careful keeping doors and windows shut, there's no way a Huntsman could get through a fly screen. If you have to remove a spider I believe there are sprays you can use to slow them down, and there are sprays to use all around window and door frames to keep them at bay. Huntsmans eat Redbacks, so I guess if you see one outside it's best to leave it to do its important job, the Redbacks can be nasty. We ruled out living in Sydney because of the Funnel Webs, but a guy we know working over here at the moment said he has lived in Sydney all his life and has never even seen a Funnel Web. I think the Aussies are quite calm about this spider/snake business, but apparently they are petrified when a European wasp starts buzzing around - something we all take for granted here in the UK.

MrFlibbleUK May 23rd 2002 12:17 pm

I would recommend buying a book about em....okay so it will make yer skin crawl but is really helpful. I got one called..something like Australias Deadliest Creatures (avent got the book at the moment as have lent it to a friend who is going to Oz on holiday in a few months). It was helpfull as it showed you where all the nasties are (kinda ruled out the North!) how to treat a bit/sting and stuff like that (suprising how many people dont die of stings/bites etc).

I am a little bit happier about the spiders and snakes now but am shit scared of jellyfish and seashells :-)

If you want I can dig out the details of the book.

sophia May 23rd 2002 12:34 pm

Hi Guys

Although I'm an Aussie, I've lived in the UK for most of my life so I'm having exactly the same traumas about the spiders as everyone else. However, if you're feeling brave check out this site, it's along the lines of the book MrFlibbleUK is on about...it's not easy reading but at least you'll be prepared and can make a decision about where to live.

We've chosen Perth because there seems to be less scary stuff...although I don't know for sure, I do know that the Sydney Funnel Web LOOKS evil!!!

happy browsing: http://www.pharmacology.unimelb.edu....vruweb/Rbs.htm

love sophia x

cazsue May 23rd 2002 5:07 pm

hmmmm scary stuff, I don't like to think about. I got bitten by a green ant, which was very painful and tried to convince my hubby that it was a spider, only convinced myself after counting the appropriate number of legs although it could have been a spider with two legs missing!!!

I don't know if any one saw the BBC programme Dangerous Australians, which showed all sorts of dangerous beasties they even had dangerous trees the "Stinging Tree", but what the heck we're still going for good in 37 days!!!.

Regards
Caz

MrFlibbleUK May 23rd 2002 5:12 pm

Bloody hell....dangerous trees now!!!!!.....what next...carnivorous sheep (now that would give any sheep 'lovers' a shock :-))

jopaulss May 23rd 2002 8:38 pm

Hi ALL
gREAT REPLYS HAD A GOOD LAUGH.
JUST TO REASURE EVERYONE THAT IS HEADING BRISBANE WAY ,THERE ARE NO CREEPY CRAWLIES LEFT BECAUSE "" THE CROCS HAVE EATEN THEM ALL ""

WHAT ABOUT THE BULL ANTS , WE STOPPED ON THE ROADSIDE FOR A BREAK AFTER DRIVING FOR HOURS , IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE , DAUGHTER STARTS YELLING , SHE HAD STOOD BY A RUN OF ANTS , BIG THINGS THEY WERE , SOMEONE SAID THEY PROBABLY WERE BULL ANTS, WE ALL JUMPED IN THE CAR SCRATCHING AFTER THAT ONE.

ANOTHER ONE WAS IN A CARAVAN NEAR PERTH CAME HOME FROM THE DAY ON THE BEACH , TO FIND A BIG HAIRY FRIEND ON THE WALL,IT TOOK 3 DIRECT HITS FROM THE HEEL OF A SHOE , AND A COUPLE OF HOURS TO WAIT TO SEE IF IT MOVED AGAIN BEFORE REMOVING IT . AFTER THAT BEDS CHECKED , CLOTHES CHECKED EVERYTHING CHECKED!!!!!!
OH YES IN THE SHOWER BLOCK IN YALLINGUP WE FOUND A SCORPION , OUR DAUGHTER THOUGHT IT WAS PLASTIC, IT WAS REAL!!!!!
LASTLY WE WERE SAT IN A RESTURANT GARDEN IN MIDDLETON BEACH BY ALBANY , EATING DINNER LOOKED UP AND CRAWLING ALONG THE PERGOLA WAS A 18 INCH LONG LIZARD , EVERYONE ELSE LOOKED CALM, SO WE IGNORED IT , OH GOD!!!!

IT WONT PUT US OFF WERE ARE STILL EAGER TO GET BACK.
JOANNE

MrFlibbleUK May 23rd 2002 8:50 pm

One time I saw a mean looking sparrow....coulda been venemous y'know..and then there was the time I saw the evil blood sucking admiral butterfly....and lets not even get onto the subject of the sabre toothed spaniel.

You see its kinda scarey in the UK too!!

But seriously....nah....cant do serious...too damn scarey :-)

BookBear May 23rd 2002 11:35 pm

I've been in Adelaide for about 18 months now. I've seen a couple of Huntsmen (eeergh), no redbacks, no snakes (even though we've been camping 3 times and done lots of bushwalking).

I've seen lots of lovely wildlife though, people seem to forget about that....Pelicans, Rosellas, Lorikeets, Skinks, Roos, Echidnas, Gallahs, Sulphur Crested Cockatoos, etc etc.

The funny thing is I was watching a program on snakes the other day, there was one evil looking snake that apparently comes from South America, well I've been thinking about visiting Chile in the near future and I was having second thoughts about going after hearing about these snakes......I'd completely forgotten that most of the deadliest snakes are here!

There are very, very many threads on this newsgroup and on rec.travel.australia+nz about scary creatures, look them up, there's some good advice.

Nara

Andrew May 24th 2002 12:20 am

Hi Shamer,

> Please don't say you just get used to them, because I am still not used to the wee
    > farty things you get here in Scotland.

But there are so many of them you DO get used tothem. My wife used to be scared of
spiders and run out of the room whenever she saw one in Britain. Here in Oz, she
calmly walks up to me and says "go and get rid if that d*mn spider NOW".

The scariest Big Hairy Beastie over here in Oz has to be Billy Connelly! I'm not sure
about the Bitie bit - you'd have to ask Pamela Stevenson :)

By the way, some spiders are useful, for example, Daddy-Long leg spiders kill
Redbacks so you should't get rid of all of them in your house.

AndyH

shamer <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have just been advised that we will be getting our pregrant letter any day now,
    > and the dream of Oz will now become a reality.
    >
    > Since the news everything has now become technicolour and scarier than before. We
    > have been soaking up every piece of info we could for the last 2 years about Oz,
    > and absolutly can't wait to get out there.
    >
    > Now we have to deal with the biggest problem, THE BEASTIES!!!!!! (For everyone who
    > is not Scottish that means the spiders, lizards, snakes etc).
    >
    > Can anyone advise two of the worlds worst arachnaphobics who love the outdoors how
    > they managed to overcome there terror of seeing a spider the size of a mouse on
    > there bathroom wall?
    >
    > Are there places in Oz that have less of these things?
    >
    > I know Huntsmans dont kill you, but I think dying of a Heart attack is just as bad
    > as being stung.
    >
    > Please don't say you just get used to them, because I am still not used to the wee
    >
    > Any advice would be welcome (exept stay in Scotland, that aint happining)
    >
    > Many thanks in advance
    >
    > Shamer

Lana May 24th 2002 12:20 am

Now I am scared... We have poisonous spiders and scorpions here, but there are
no snakes in city areas. And most of all, there are no spiders who can eat frogs
and birds!

My priority when I get to Australian is gonna be to buy bug spray.

Lana

Helena May 24th 2002 6:20 am

"shamer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Now we have to deal with the biggest problem, THE BEASTIES!!!!!! (For everyone who
    >
    > Can anyone advise two of the worlds worst arachnaphobics who love the outdoors how
    > they managed to overcome there terror of seeing a spider the size of a mouse on
    > there bathroom wall?

I'm one of the world's worst arachnophobes too, and I can vouch for the fact that you
don't overcome the terror of seeing a spider the size of a hand on your wall or
tearing across the living room floor. Mice are tiny, Huntsmen are not. It's a shock.
They're big. Very big. Huntsmen are hairy too. Oh sure, everyone says they're more
afraid of people than vice versa. Yeah right.

Regardless, the nice thing is that you don't see that many. Over the past two and a
half years, we've only had a couple Huntsmen in the house, and a few other smaller
but no less terrifying ones too. Keep your screens in good repair and closed all the
time, and just prevent the buggers from getting inside and you'll be fine. Check your
laundry before you bring it in from the line. And boxes you bring in from the shed.
They tend to piggyback in if you're not careful.

Outside is another matter. Prevention is the key. Wear gloves all the time while
gardening and poking around in the shed, garage or any other outdoor area where the
beasties can lurk. Don't stick your hand in the mailbox either because Redbacks are
known to set up house in there. We found a Redback in our barbeque after we lifted
the lid one day. Strangely enough, I don't find Redbacks as terrifying as Hunstmen,
or those blasted ones that weave big webs at night for you to walk into! Orb spiders
I think they're called. The Redback is a delicate looking spider, almost pretty.

Redbacks are not horribly toxic, as the Funnel Webs are. The toxin is slow-acting and
you've got plenty of time to get to the hospital or clinic. They don't administer the
antivenin to most healthy adults as you can deal with the toxin fine. Kids, oldies or
people with immunity problems will more likely get the antivenin. The Whitetail
spider is not too pleasant either, causing permanent scars and lesions in some cases.
Keep things tidy and that can help prevent them from hanging around - i.e., piles of
clothes on the floor are a favourite habitat of theirs. A great incentive for the
kids to be tidy!

Outside, I get rid of any webs near the house. I know people will say "but they catch
insects", but to me, they mean that some big creepy spider is far too close to my
house, who'll likely wander inside the minute somebody leaves the door open for a few
seconds. Paranoid? Who, me? Yup!

As for lizards, there are no poisonous lizards in Australia. We've got several
blue-tongues in our backyard. They're great because they eat snails.

Snakes are more rare in the typical suburban neighbourhood. The spiders have eaten
them all. No, seriously, they live in bushy areas, like nature reserves so you need
to be more careful if you live close to or next to one. One lady in a nearby suburb
found one curled up on her front doormat one day. Unfortunately, she only noticed it
after it bit her. She lived. And when you go bushwalking, stomp along, don't tiptoe.
The snakes'll feel the vibrations of your footsteps and leave. They don't chase
people or attack unwarranted. Bites occur when they feel cornered or threatened. Or
if you go and step on them when they're simply minding their business sunning
themselves on your doormat.

About one person a year dies from snakebite, mostly out in the rural areas where the
victim is too far from medical treatment. There've been a few bites in the Perth area
but nobody's died, just hospitalised for a while. Keep your dogs from tall grassed
areas or from running off into the bush or sand dunes because dogs get bitten much
more frequently than people do.

Cities will have less than country areas. I hear northern NSW & Queensland's bad for
the big hairy spiders, more so than W.A. And Sydney's got the Funnel Web, the world's
most poisonous spider.

> I know Huntsmans dont kill you, but I think dying of a Heart attack is just as bad
    > as being stung.

You don't even have to get stung to suffer from the heart attack. Just seeing one is
enough! Their bite hurts and can cause flu-like symptoms. Sounds nasty, but I think
I'd prefer that to a heart attack any day.

Okay, I won't say you get used to them, because I'm not and I don't think I ever
will. But truly, you don't see as many as you imagine. All those documentaries on tv
seem to imply we're infested with the beasties and dropping dead by the hundreds from
stings and bites. It's not true. What you do get used to is the fact that you have to
live with them, and with preventative measures, much like living with the sun and the
threat of skin cancer.

I'd never advise that. Scotland's very pretty but too cold and wet for me. Come and
don't worry about it. Worry more about crossing the road safely than about beasties.
Some drivers are far more deadly than any spider or snake or platypus.

Good luck,

Helena

Moo30 May 24th 2002 7:15 am

Shamer,

Would have to say a safe "general" rule would be, the warmer and more tropical the climate in Australia, the bigger the bugs!! This applies to spiders, cockroaches. mosquitos etc. My parents are from Queensland, but we've lived in Melbourne since I was 8 and whilst we still get the Huntsmen and cockroaches occaisionally, they are the mini versions of what you'll find in the warmer, more tropical regions of Australia. Have spent many holidays in Queensland and have found myself running from the bigger "nasties" up there :-) However, I will say that our friends and relatives are used to them ... they have perfected the good old shoe-throw at the offending beast with excellent results :-)

col May 24th 2002 7:24 am

I have a habit of not killing anything (specially spiders) Think I'm gonna have to get out of that one Sharpish!!!!!!!!

Col :)

mxqth May 24th 2002 8:08 am

For a more realistic approach of the issue.
Where can one find statistics about the number of the victims/year (dead, wounded, treated successfully) of spiders, snakes, toxic-sea-snails, ornitorrinco, stinging trees, scorpions, myriapods, crocs, sharks and all other beasts that gambol around Australia.
One needs numbers and a scientifical approach of the problem to draw o conclusion.

sophia May 24th 2002 9:02 am

Hi guys

I think I'm definitely more scared of the spiders than anything else...going to buy mountains of the bug spray!!!

I think the stats you want can be found on the site I mentioned earlier in this thread.

love sophia x

Chartres May 24th 2002 9:20 am

> I've been in Adelaide for about 18 months now. I've seen a couple of Huntsmen
    > (eeergh), no redbacks, no snakes (even though we've been
Huntsmens could be quite scarry, especially when one appears on your windshield when
you are driving. But they are harmless. At least you know you are not going to be
bitten by one. In Victoria (especially in the western part) we do not have much of
stuff which is venomous. There are only two "beasties" that are dangerous and they
are somewhere in the east - redback (spider) and blue-bottles in the sea. Living in
Melbourne, I never heard someone saw either of them... And I go surfing quite often
on summer. So, it's not that bad, uh?

shamer May 24th 2002 9:26 am

Do you ever wish you hadn't asked a question?

I haven't even heard of half these beasties. I agree with Col, I dont like killing spiders because I can bring myself to get anywhere near them. If I throw a shoe at a beastie it moves and thats when the real terror begins, also probably gets angry, dosen't bear thinking about.

mxqth said toxic-sea-snails, ornitorrinco, stinging trees, scorpions, myriapods, crocs, sharks

What the hell are these things?
I thought I had done my research, mmmmm!

I think perhaps it is a ploy by the Auzzies to scare the pants off of would be immigrants, by making up the scariest things they could amagine (only a joke, not a political point).

Stingy Trees what the hell is that about?

Thanks all for your contributions (kinda)

Shamer

col May 24th 2002 10:29 am

Shamer

Kinda like spiders and don't beleive in killing anything unless forced to.(like the beasties don't bite unless provoked!!)
I would say it's the same for everything really except sharks and crocs. But if you enter their enviroment you've got to except that you become part of the food chain!!!

I would say just be aware of you're environment and learn quickly!!!

Col :)

Davem May 24th 2002 12:20 pm

Are dogs coming into contact with spiders in the garden also a problem ? If a dog
was stung by a redback would it be fatal or is there a limited amount of time to
apply a vaccine ?

iancurtis May 24th 2002 12:31 pm

Good question. I was wondering the same about our cats. How well do animals adapt to their 'interesting' new environment with it's new and exotic dangers ?

Jacqui May 24th 2002 12:56 pm

You might not want to hear this reply dog and cat lovers, but I'm afraid my sister came home from work a couple of years ago (she lives in Bunbury, WA) and found her dog dead. She took it to the vet, and he found two puncture marks on its leg, indicating that it had been bitten, probably by a snake. Some days later, my sister drove onto her driveway and saw a snake blocking her path to the front door, so she backed the car up and drove it over the snake, and just for good measure, drove over it again! A neighbour identified it as a protected species - oops! Let's face it though - when faced with a potentially fatal spider or snake, who is going to look it up in a book first before killing it? Not me that's for sure!

I can't help wondering - if redbacks live in your mailbox, how many posties get bitten each year? If spiders live in trees and have a habit of dropping out, I want a garden with no trees, thanks!

I'm sure that even if we looked up the statistics on spider and snakes bites/fatalities, croc and shark attacks, etc. there is a much greater risk being killed on the roads.

jopaulss May 24th 2002 1:59 pm

SHARKS - We pulled up into a car park north of perth , and parked the car , got out to get all the stuff out of the car , but the kids would not budge , looked upto a sign that read " SHARKS FREQUENT THESE WATER , BEWARE" do you think the kids would get out no . But kids being kids we moved 5 miles along to another beach , no signs , kids jump out and play in the sea , they are educated well my two you know , im sure they know sharks swim!!!!!!!! I think the rip tides are more dangerous than the sharks , at least they have the good old spotter planes going up and down the coast alday, we couldnt go over to rottnest island as a shark had been spotted , so all boats were cancelled . But we saw two guys caught up in a rip and be rescued , they werent even in deep water , makes you use your head a little!!!
Joanne

Grotbags May 24th 2002 2:58 pm

Hi Shamer

We came across the "stinging trees" a couple of years ago in the Daintree Rainforest. They are more like huge plants with big leaves, and the leaves have thousands of little needles on them. If you happen to brush past one (although they grow quite high normally) the tiny needles bury under your skin and you can't get rid of them for years. Every time you touch the part of the skin where the needles are it is agonising.
Our guide through the rainforest was telling us that some guy had recently fallen into the plant and had had so many stings to the chest area that it killed him!!

So don't worry about the Huntsman etc, it's the innocent looking plants that are the killers!!

Benny May 25th 2002 12:20 am

You have all expressed your fear of Spiders and Snakes which in real terms bite so
few people most REAL AUSTRALIANS don't even give them a second thought ... But Drop
Bears on the other hand are responsible for the death of about 1200 people per year
in all parts of Australia from the bush and into city area's with tall tree's ..
Please do yourself a huge favour and do some research on them before arriving
because it may save your life if you learn how to escape when being hunted by a pack
of drop bears.

"shamer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I have just been advised that we will be getting our pregrant letter any day now,
    > and the dream of Oz will now become a reality.
    >
    > Since the news everything has now become technicolour and scarier than before. We
    > have been soaking up every piece of info we could for the last 2 years about Oz,
    > and absolutly can't wait to get out there.
    >
    >
    > there bathroom wall?
    >
    >
    > as being stung.
    >
    >
    >
    > Many thanks in advance
    >
    > Shamer
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Bh May 25th 2002 1:20 am

I can't believe this thread is still going. Sheesh! you all seem to think Australia
is some sort haven for the world's most venomous creatures. I live in regional
Australia on the north coast of NSW, supposedly a centre for these mythical
creatures, and I haven't seen a snake for decades. There are a probably a few Daddy
Long Legs in the garage, who cares?. I've always had pet cats and have never lost one
from insect or snake bite. For heaven's sake. Stop believing everything you see on TV
or you'll be teased mercilessly the moment you arrive.

Hills May 25th 2002 2:20 am

Davem wrote:

> Are dogs coming into contact with spiders in the garden also a problem ? If a dog
    > was stung by a redback would it be fatal or is there a limited amount of time to
    > apply a vaccine ?

It's pretty difficult for a dog to be bitten by a redback. Redbacks like living
hidden away, under chairs, bikes, fences, wood piles, etc - warm, but shaded, so they
especially like metal things. They are tiny - size of a little fingernail total. And
they're timid. They don't move. Combine all the above, and really the only way to get
bitten is to stick your hand right into their web and annoy them. Given the places
they hang out, that's quite difficult to do. Examples would be children poking their
fingers into things/toys/ bikes, etc, without looking first. Dogs don't tend to poke
their paws into crevices.

Dogs are more likely to be bitten by snakes, because dogs will chase them, and harass
them. A more common problem with dogs is ticks. If you live in a tick area, you have
to check your dog daily for ticks. (an 'allocated chore' when I was a kid!). LJ

Russell Driver May 25th 2002 2:20 am

"Nara" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I've been in Adelaide for about 18 months now. I've seen a couple of Huntsmen
    > (eeergh), no redbacks, no snakes (even though we've been camping 3 times and done
    > lots of bushwalking).
    >
    > I've seen lots of lovely wildlife though, people seem to forget about
    > that....Pelicans, Rosellas, Lorikeets, Skinks, Roos, Echidnas, Gallahs, Sulphur
    > Crested Cockatoos, etc etc.
    >
    > The funny thing is I was watching a program on snakes the other day, there was one
    > evil looking snake that apparently comes from South America, well I've been
    > thinking about visiting Chile in the near future and I was having second thoughts
    > about going after hearing about these snakes......I'd completely forgotten that
    > most of the deadliest snakes are here!
    >
    > There are very, very many threads on this newsgroup and on rec.travel.australia+nz
    > about scary creatures, look them up, there's some good advice.
    >
    > Nara
    >

We are also in Adelaide (2 years) We live down south in a fairly country area and we
seem to get the lot here! Last year we must have killed 50-60 Redbacks around the
back of the house. We have had five snakes on the land this last summer,including one
in the new pool as it was filling up(it lost the argument with the shovel) Scorpions
and those 5 inch long centipedes like to visit the interior of the house. No one has
mentioned Inch ants yet ( the name suggests their size).Their bite brings tears to
your eyes. We've had a couple of White Tail spiders. When driving the other day,my
wife let out a helluva scream.I looked and saw a large hairy huntsman climbing up her
arm. We stopped and stripped the car out(do you know how many hiding places there are
in a 4wd?)Eventually we got him and all we could do was giggle from the shock of it.
But as Nara says there is a tremendous amount of wonderful and safe wildlife here.We
have an abundance on the land and we have even had a roo come to visit.

You do get somewhat used to the beasties,but they do make you jump at times. We have
become a little more "streetwise?" and don't go looking for trouble. When out on the
land I always wear tough jeans,boots and gloves.

We still love it here though ;)

Russell

--
Luck is when the paths of opportunity and preparation cross.

Russell Driver May 25th 2002 5:20 am

"Benny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > You have all expressed your fear of Spiders and Snakes which in real terms bite so
    > few people most REAL AUSTRALIANS don't even give them a second thought ... But Drop
    > Bears on the other hand are responsible for the death of about 1200 people per year
    > in all parts of Australia from the bush and into city area's with tall tree's ..
    > Please do yourself a huge favour and
do
    > some research on them before arriving because it may save your life if you learn
    > how to escape when being hunted by a pack of drop bears.
    >

Ahhh, the Drop Bears.I wondered when someone would let their secret out. Don't you
know we are supposed to let the "newbies" find out about them on their own,
terrifying they are! ;)

Russell

--
Luck is when the paths of opportunity and preparation cross.

dpr May 25th 2002 3:43 pm

Aarghh yes the dreaded Drop Bears - yeah right nice try!!!

The BEASTIES - contrary to some of the **** we see in the media very few animals (worldwide) attack humans unless they're provoked or threatened. I grew up in Africa and was exposed to lions, elephants, numerous snakes etc etc but with the exception of (1) a group of tourists who tried to pose with a pride of lions
(2) Another visitor who tried to swim a mile in the downstream Zambesi ('twas a hippo not a croc), I am unaware of too many fatalities. Plenty of lesser incidents but even those involved doing things the avarage person wouldn't do e.g. one of my mates who was a 'snake handler' has been bitten several times but let's face it who wants to go around handling snakes the whole time?

The moral - ask the locals (perhaps try not to use an English accent or they'll try the 'drop bears' type story on you)

Cheers

DPR

PS look at ito relative risk, you got a better chance of winning the lottery, being hit by an asteroid, getting run over on the motorway than being wiped out by a beastie.

The moral

percyp May 25th 2002 8:37 pm

I was in Melbourne for 6 months, lived in a 9th floor apartment, and kept windows closed all the time, didn't see a thing, nice and safe !!

At the end of my time there went to North Queensland, saw a snake, wow, saw big spiders don't know what type, just BIG, and big lizards, 3 ft long !

Also went at the Jelly fish time, and was warned don't go in the sea, no problem, except when you go out to the reef, come back to shore and the boat ferrying you to the shore breaks down, and you have to wade the last 100 ft to shore, not a problem they say, well it wasn't.

Just keep your eyes open, and you'll all be fine, benefits outweigh the creepy crawlies I say !

pott May 25th 2002 8:45 pm

I think I am going to be sick!!!

fergey May 25th 2002 10:13 pm

As a fellow Scot i too am scared of big spiders. I would advise buying that book... to twat the bugger with...

rday May 26th 2002 9:37 am

are the drob bears related to the haggis family?
rday

sophia May 26th 2002 9:38 am

Hi guys

For those of you who are really scared of the bugs try this:
http://www.lakelandlimited.com/is-bi...spider+catcher

sorry about how long it is, but I'm not a computer whizz and don't know how to do those fancy links!!..hey cool, it's done it by itself!!!

Lakeland won't know what's hit them if their sales suddenly jump up on spider catchers!!!

love sophia x

Terry R Brookin May 26th 2002 11:20 am

> I can't help wondering - if redbacks live in your mailbox, how many posties get
    > bitten each year?

Well the posties usually post through the slot, whereas the recipient has to put
their hand into the interior of the postbox. You learn to look first...
    :)

We were travelling in convoy with friends one day when our friends car came to an
abrupt halt in a cloud of tyre smoke in front of us. They piled out of the car at
speed, and we wondered what was going on. It turned out that they had been happily
driving along when a snake appeared slithering up the steering column. Imagine what
my friend felt looking down and seeing a snake's head in the region of his crutch!
<g> After they calmed down, we located it under one of the seats and with my friend
diverting it's attention, I got hold of it's tail and dragged it out of the car. It
slithered off into the bush. The (English) wife wouldn't get back into the car and
continued the rest of the journey with us! <g>

I've encountered many of the nasties in Oz, including having a Redback on my hand.
The only time I've been stung was a bluebottle on Bondi Beach. It's all about common
sense and remaining cool. The only exception is the piranha cockatoo - a particularly
nasty and aggressive variety of cockatoo that hunts in packs rather like piranhas. In
certain parts of the Northern Territory they advise the wearing of helmets if you
venture into the bush. They pelt you with stones and rocks from the trees, and then
when you're stunned, they swoop in packs and peck you to pieces. Apart from the
Aborigine folklore, they were practically unknown until recently, when an attack was
filmed by a Japanese tourist...
--
Regards -Terry

shaun/lor May 26th 2002 2:08 pm

while in oz (melbourne) earlier this year being the boring type that i am i found myself glued to watching terestarl daytime t.v
on this perticular program i was watching they sold gadgets. you know like things that make cucumbers into pretty shapes and things. well one of the items that was being advertised was a thing that plugs into your elecrical socket and sends out a varying inaudibale noise that is supposed to make all those horrible beastie things run away, they said this included spiders and cockroaches, but not wives.
shaun and lor

timsorrell May 28th 2002 3:20 pm

My wife was petrified of spiders in England. Before we were married, a big spider in her flat in Southampton meant she would scream, and up and leave to go to her mum's, until I got there to deal with it. When living together, she still hated any spider in the room and refused to go near letting out a huge scream, and prefered to get out of the room - my son likewise. These were two big obstacles to thinking about coming out here.Â

However, they really have got used to it, I'd say after just 4-6 months, and now casually observe a big spider and allow me to deal with it without panic, which is an amazing change! I'm sure most people don't like them, but the Huntsmans aren't dangerous though I expect they could bite, but on the whole all the creepy crawleys are more afraid of you and tend to stay out of your way. It's when you go to bed and suddenly see a huge one on the wall that gives you the creeps! Of course you are meant to shut the screen doors but the weather is so nice that often you throw windows/doors open and forget about them. So many times we've come upstairs to bed to find the verandah doors wide open, at which point we do have a check of the curtains and other places for creepy crawleys. But really in 2.5 years, it's only happened about 6 times, and it generates a bit of excitement catching the thing and killing it!. Yes of course they are not nice looking! but my wife no longer screams and runs out of the room. There's another spider here which is very creepy looking - cabbage like and light green with a dome for a body. We've only seen that 3 or 4 times and they are just as easy to catch.

One of the things you'll notice when you go in the supermarket, as well as the huge variety of chocolate, is the huge variety of bug sprays! Some barrier spray for outside helps keep spiders and ants from crawling in, and any general spray inside slows the spiders down until you can squash them. Once the thing is immobilised, I put toilet paper over it and then smash it! Those huntsman are quite bulky... they don't just squash down to nothing... there's quite a bit left!

When we moved in and first looked up at our verandahs, there were little beige blobs all over it... looking like blobs of chewing gum! We learnt these were spiders eggs..... and the easy answer... pressure spray... gets rid of the real quick! It's just another thing to bear in mind when you are clearing up outside! You can also spray the house, or get it sprayed professionally... inside and out. Inside, someone comes and sprays cupboards, cracks everything.... I'm not sure what they use. Outside, they spray all around the gutters, under the eaves, under the verandahs etc. It certainly seems to keep it much clearer of spiders. I have done this myself using "Pidgeon's Pest Controller 500" Group 1B insectiside - professional use only - not for residential use and with a host of serious warnings on the bottle!

Now Redbacks are the poisonous spiders that you do get sometimes - and they don't look scary because they are fairly small and thin - yet after a while, you begin to feel casual about that too..... treating them really only as significant as a wasp - ie something you avoid but just stay calm and deal with it if you happen to see one. Spraying the outside of the house, eaves, verandahs helps to keep them away. The main thing to watch for is perhaps look under your outdoor furniture if you're about to move it. Spray under there once in a while... also in the corners of your garage or shed, they like going there. A couple of years ago, we seemed to be getting quite a few redbacks in the house, until we found the crack where they were and sprayed inside. We didn't see any for over a year, then just last week we found one in the garage. He's disappeared before we could get rid of him so I've left a can of bug spray nearby, ready for him.

Once my wife called on the mobile in fright, in our 4th month here, - saying a really fast and absolutely massive spider had just run across the living room...she claimed it was as big as a mouse- so I had to come back from my friend's house to find my wife perched feet up on a chair....and we searched the edge of the living room for it. I was quite edgy myself having heard the size... but it turned out that it really was a mouse after all.Â

Quite honestly, spiders are easy to deal with and you will find the fear eases up fast...just spray them to slow them down, then squash them! and you really won't find too many though it's amazing how far they can stretch a web across two trees 20 metres apart.

We did have a spider appear in the car just once as we were about to get back in... and it started to rain so we were stuck outside. I had to run back to the supermarket and buy some spray.. then come back and try and search under the seats. Quite a difficult job as they know you're after them... but there was absoutely no way we were about to drive anywhere knowing it was in there! On that subject... it's a good idea not to leave the car doors open at home.... and invitation for a snake to come in. Not that it's likely, just something you don't do ! I've popped a couple of plastic spiders in the visor that dropped on my wife when she opened it but that joke has gone a bit sour now!

Now it's the ants that are the real problem! They all bite... just stand still on the grass barefoot for a while, and you could well get bitten. But a large black ant or a green ant bites painfully and the pain is around 50% of a wasp sting in intensity. If one gets stuck in your shoes it carries on biting and you soon know about it ! But it doesn't stop you sitting down for a picnic... but the moment an ant appears, brush it away quick! You can get "ant sand" to sprinkle over your brick paths to get rid of them.

If you are actually right by trees - within metres of the property, then you might get more creepycrawlies. Otherwise I don't think you get more in rural areas... in fact funnily enough we've not seen a big spider (only the one redback) inside for 6 months. But they are all bigger than in the UK! – just have some spray handy.

Snakes – seen a few – they are very timid and stay away from you – but don’t approach them and you’ll be fine. My wife hasn’t seen one in 2.5 years. I saw a python in the undergrowth – if I was in England I would have called the zoo! In fact a snake did chase my friend on his tractor, but honestly encounters are so few and far between or non existent that I wouldn’t worry about it.

Kids here in Oz grow up knowing these things exist, so they take some natural precautions that your kids might not. So keep warning them in the first year, such as getting them to walk around, not shortcut through some bushy area with long grass, and intentionally worrying them that there may be a snake there to allow them to build their own defenses. Best idea is to stay away from long grass and undergrowth... if it's on your property.... get that mower out!! If it's not easy to mow, use a "whipper snipper" or "brushcutter" (strimmer)!

The sound of insects at night while it's hot (Oct-Apr), is amazing! Continuous jungle sounds as if someone has put 360 degree surround speakers outside... except it's for real! Also the birds have some very strange sounds too, all very distinctive. Pop outside to throw something in the bin and here some thudding around your feet, which will make you jump at first - but then you'll find it's almost certainly just the Cain toads which come out at night during the summer and mostly stay out of the light. I still wonder where they all go during the day. Some are massive and we've had a couple thud up against the patio doors once in a while! Australians hate Cain toads and treat them as a pest and try to introduce you to some nasty traditions such as hitting them with golf clubs. I'm sure far more get squished just driving up and down the drive. They wither away to a crispy shell very quickly in the sun!

After over two years here, having got used to just about everything creepy crawly that could be thrown at us, we went to a friends house for afternoon BBQ. We had just been for a walk at Mount Glorious and it had been a bit muddy up there. After some excitement with finding redbacks under their furniture that they thought they'd got rid of the day before, we suddenly saw the most disgusting slimy dark, fat worm like creature inching its way across the patio. Someone stepped on it and red blood oozed all over the tiles. Where the hell did that come everyone wondered? After looking around, I looked down and saw a second one right there on my foot, between two toes. I couldn't believe it, having driven for 20 minutes since ending the walk, both of them must have been there all the time..... a leech ! It was having a wonderful meal and we poured salt on its back and I think sprayed it too. Why me ???!! I thought.... and subsequently squashed that one too creating even more blood this time. The area itched for about 2 months! Well I understand that this could equally well have happened in England in a damp area, but it goes down as another Australian creepy crawly story for me!
Cheers
Tim http://emigrate.hotshopping.com.au