Best Option For Childs Citizenship

Old Jul 27th 2020, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

LozFA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best Option For Childs Citizenship

Hi there

Im sorry if this is in the wrong section but not entirely sure where to put it.

Im looking for advice on what to do with our current situation.

Im an aussie and my husband is a Scot. We lived in Aus for 6 years and decided to move back to the UK (couldn't have picked a better year!) as we were both missing Scotland and his side of the family. While here i have fallen pregnant and i am due in late sept. We have decided that we would prefer to raise a family in Aus and that we are going to move back there (classic ping pom lol), this is where our predicament comes into play.

What is our best option? Should we stay put and have baby here in the UK so he gets his citizenship, then move to Aus at the beginning of next year and get him his citizenship through descent via me? Or move back in the next couple weeks and have the baby there as i am still able to fly at the moment. My husband has PR status and is eligible for citizenship so we aren't worried about him, its more just our baby.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks
Old Jul 27th 2020, 4:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Option For Childs Citizenship

Originally Posted by LozFA
Hi there

Im sorry if this is in the wrong section but not entirely sure where to put it.

Im looking for advice on what to do with our current situation.

Im an aussie and my husband is a Scot. We lived in Aus for 6 years and decided to move back to the UK (couldn't have picked a better year!) as we were both missing Scotland and his side of the family. While here i have fallen pregnant and i am due in late sept. We have decided that we would prefer to raise a family in Aus and that we are going to move back there (classic ping pom lol), this is where our predicament comes into play.

What is our best option? Should we stay put and have baby here in the UK so he gets his citizenship, then move to Aus at the beginning of next year and get him his citizenship through descent via me? Or move back in the next couple weeks and have the baby there as i am still able to fly at the moment. My husband has PR status and is eligible for citizenship so we aren't worried about him, its more just our baby.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks
I have to throw this into the mix - you are talking of moving in the next couple of weeks. So bear in mind that you are looking at a very expensive 2 weeks in quarantine on arrival, not the most comfortable experience when heavily pregnant, I would imagine. And thats assuming you can get a flight. There are very few seats available on flights to Aus at present, and it would probably cost you Business/Premium prices.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

These are Covid times, you probably wouldn’t get either flight or exemption in 2 weeks and that’s before an expensive quarantine. At least you will be able to get citizen By descent quite easily.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 8:54 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Give birth in the UK.

British citizenship by descent is limited to the first generation born abroad whereas Australian citizenship can be passed on indefinitely providing each generation meet the residence requirements.
Old Jul 28th 2020, 9:46 am
Just Joined

Thank you very much for everyones reply. I hadnt thought about the cost of flying at the moment.

Looks like the best option is to have the little fella here in UK and get his passport, then fly over to Aus next year and sort his citizenship out when we are there.

Thanks again!
Old Jul 28th 2020, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much for everyones reply. I hadnt thought about the cost of flying at the moment.

Looks like the best option is to have the little fella here in UK and get his passport, then fly over to Aus next year and sort his citizenship out when we are there.

Thanks again!
no, the best option is to sort it out before you go. It doesn’t take long and far better for the bub to fly in as a citizen than on a tourist visa (would you lie about your intentions to stay?) and trusting to luck.

Edited to say - have you got your British citizenship sorted? Might be wise to do that before you leave if you haven’t already. It can be a nightmare getting a foreign spouse back into Britain if you decide down th3 track that you want to return.

Last edited by quoll; Jul 28th 2020 at 9:52 am.
Old Jul 28th 2020, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by quoll
no, the best option is to sort it out before you go. It doesn’t take long and far better for the bub to fly in as a citizen than on a tourist visa (would you lie about your intentions to stay?) and trusting to luck.

Edited to say - have you got your British citizenship sorted? Might be wise to do that before you leave if you haven’t already. It can be a nightmare getting a foreign spouse back into Britain if you decide down th3 track that you want to return.

Hi there

Thanks for the reply, ah i see we will get it sorted first then.

Can we fly over with him with his aus citizenship certificate and enter the country using his UK passport? Or do we need to organise his aus passport before we head there for him to enter using it?

Yes thats all sorted
Old Jul 28th 2020, 10:16 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

Thanks for the reply, ah i see we will get it sorted first then.

Can we fly over with him with his aus citizenship certificate and enter the country using his UK passport? Or do we need to organise his aus passport before we head there for him to enter using it?

Yes thats all sorted
Technically you can but it’s a PITA to arrange. Far better to sort out his Australian passport before you go.
Old Aug 1st 2020, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

Paul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
These are Covid times, you probably wouldn’t get either flight or exemption in 2 weeks and that’s before an expensive quarantine. At least you will be able to get citizen By descent quite easily.
They are a citizen and a PR, they don’t need exemptions.

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Technically you can but it’s a PITA to arrange. Far better to sort out his Australian passport before you go.
Agreed ... it shouldn’t be a hassle in the circumstances
Old Aug 8th 2020, 2:40 pm
fth
Forum Regular

fth is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Give birth in the UK.

British citizenship by descent is limited to the first generation born abroad whereas Australian citizenship can be passed on indefinitely providing each generation meet the residence requirements.
There is an expensive route if one of the parents has lived in the UK for more than 3 years via a form NM1 section 3(2). It's painful, you need your life history on paper, and will become an expert at the National Archives, but you can do it (I have done it for 2 kids born in Australia, both parents British by descent).

https://assets.publishing.service.go..._MN1-Jul19.pdf

Last edited by fth; Aug 8th 2020 at 2:43 pm.