Best Available Visa for step son

Old Aug 9th 2011, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Handyandy180 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best Available Visa for step son

Hi all
We have now lived in Victoria for the last 6 years both myself and my partner have permanent residency.
My step son (24 years old) came to visit us November 2010 on a working visa, I managed to get him work at my company and he has settled in well and loves the lifestyle and Australia. He is leaving to go back to the UK 20 Sept 2011. However he only wants to visit the UK and return as soon as possible to be back with his girl friend (they have been together since his arrival and are crazy about each other).
Myself and Andrea (Jims birth mother) Would obviously welcome his return, he is a hard working young man and is a pleasure to have around. We own our own home and have both worked full time since we arrived.
Can anyone give me advice as to the quickest / easiest way we could get Jim back to Australia?
I think we have the following options.

1) Myself and Andrea sponsor him to return

2) My company sponsors his return. However he does not have a trade and is not recognised as having a profession on the most wanted list. He is a valued member of staff whom we have trained up and would find hard to replace. The company is happy to keep his position open on his return.

3) He applies for a further working visa and then applies for permanent residency when he gets back here.
I am sure there must be other visas we could apply for but we are unsure which would be best (quickest)
Any help would be gratefuly recieved
Kind Regards
Chris and Andrea

Good luck to all that are trying
Old Aug 9th 2011, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Available Visa for step son

He won't get a work sponsored visa.
Did he do three months of regional work so he could get a second year working holiday visa?? If so, that would be by far the best option. Then he could move in with his girlfriend, and after a year of living together apply for a defacto visa.

Good luck
Old Aug 9th 2011, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Available Visa for step son

Please see responses in red.

Originally Posted by Handyandy180
I think we have the following options.

1) Myself and Andrea sponsor him to return

Not sure what visa you think you can sponsor him on? Is he last remaining relative i.e. does he have no siblings or birth father in UK? If he does then that visa is out and as you mention he is unskilled I can see no other visa that you could sponsor him on. The last remaining relative visa is not a great option either as it is taking about a decade at the moment

2) My company sponsors his return. However he does not have a trade and is not recognised as having a profession on the most wanted list. He is a valued member of staff whom we have trained up and would find hard to replace. The company is happy to keep his position open on his return.

Sounds tricky. But the list of jobs avialable for 457 visa is actually quite long and if he has experience in and would be sponsored for a job on the list then there is an outside chance. But I think you would need professional opinion on this with someone who has all the facts.

3) He applies for a further working visa and then applies for permanent residency when he gets back here.

Do you mean another working holiday visa? There is nothing that goes by the name of "working visa". He would have to have done three months of regional work to qualify for a second WHV. If he is eligible for second WHV, I am not sure what you mena by applying for permanent residency once he gets back. Permanent residency is not a status one can apply for, there are permanent visas and he would need to qualify for and apply for one of those, base don what you have said, I cannot see which permanent visa he would qualify for.I am sure there must be other visas we could apply for but we are unsure which would be best (quickest)

I would not be so sure about that, there is not a visa for everyone and it is very hard for unskilled people to get one. He could get married, that would help.