British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Becoming a resident (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/becoming-resident-777333/)

Elle Jay Nov 12th 2012 3:04 am

Becoming a resident

We are here in Perth on a 457 visa but we want to apply for residency as soon as possible. Has anyone any advice? Does anyone know of a good (and not a rip-off) immigration lawyer?

Dorothy Nov 12th 2012 3:07 am

Re: Becoming a resident

Originally Posted by Elle Jay (Post 10377617)
We are here in Perth on a 457 visa but we want to apply for residency as soon as possible. Has anyone any advice? Does anyone know of a good (and not a rip-off) immigration lawyer?

Do you qualify for PR? www.immi.gov.au is where to start. If you actually qualify it's not too difficult and could likely be done by yourselves without an agent.

Bermudashorts Nov 12th 2012 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Elle Jay (Post 10377617)

Australia works off visas, you currently have a visa that provides temporary residency, I assume you would like permanent residency, in which case you need to identify a visa that provides permanent residency that you qualify and apply for it. You cannot apply for "residency" as if it is a status.

So do you know which permanent visa you qualify for, that is the first step.

Elle Jay Nov 12th 2012 6:18 am

Thanks. That's why I was asking about a good (and not too expensive) immigration lawyer. We are not sure which is the best visa for us. My partner is almost 47, and we are here on his 457 sponsored visa. He is not too happy with the place he is working and would rather not be tied to them for two years. My parents are Australian residents and could also sponsor us. Just not too sure which is the best route to go down.

Bermudashorts Nov 12th 2012 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Elle Jay (Post 10377745)
Thanks. That's why I was asking about a good (and not too expensive) immigration lawyer. We are not sure which is the best visa for us. My partner is almost 47, and we are here on his 457 sponsored visa. He is not too happy with the place he is working and would rather not be tied to them for two years. My parents are Australian residents and could also sponsor us. Just not too sure which is the best route to go down.

Well there are some agents that are frequently recommended on here. Go Matilda, George Lombard are two of them, if you do a search you will find more I am sure.

But you don't need an agent to find out what visa you might be eligible for, you can look into it yourself as well. A couple of things you can do: check that one of you has an occupation on the skilled occupation list and then see if you can pass the point test. The points test becomes very difficult to pass after age of 45 unfortunately.

There are also employer sponsored permanent visas, but if your OH is not getting along with his employer then this might not be reaslistic?

I am wondering how you initially planned to get a PR visa, that is when you first moved over? Please dont say you thought you could "apply for residency" after two years, that is nothing more than a myth.

Elle Jay Nov 12th 2012 7:04 am

Well, the idea was to get my partner's company to sponsor us but as previously mentioned, he doesn't want to be tied to them. His occupation is on the Skilled Occupation list but, as you said, his age goes against him. I have been looking at the government website to see which type of visa we are eligible for but don't want to go down one route when another might be better.

Bermudashorts Nov 12th 2012 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Elle Jay (Post 10377795)
Well, the idea was to get my partner's company to sponsor us but as previously mentioned, he doesn't want to be tied to them. His occupation is on the Skilled Occupation list but, as you said, his age goes against him. I have been looking at the government website to see which type of visa we are eligible for but don't want to go down one route when another might be better.

Unfortunately there are not a lot of options for you to pick and choose from. So his occupation is on the list, can he pass the points test. Determine this and then you can either rule that in or out once and for all.

If he cannot pass the points test then there is only employer sponosrship left, unless you qualify?

newjersey Nov 12th 2012 7:17 am

Sponsorship by a relative is not going to get you very far, unless it is for a Last Remaining Relative (literally) and even then there is approximately a 10 year wait. Try to explore State/Regional sponsorship programmes perhaps you can boost your points that way.

PS> no matter how good an agent is, they can not create eligibility for a visa if one does not exist