Bar Work in Ozzie

Old Dec 9th 2003, 12:58 pm
FayenPaul

faye_gillan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bar Work in Ozzie

Hi all,

We are at the start of our immigration process and have been watching the CH4 programme on Thursdays. A wee bit worried as I am planning to do anything till I get a permanent postition (in real estate, admin, sec, reception, sales) and bar work was one option.

After watching this CH4 programme someone stated that they need certificates for working in a bar????? what are these ?? how do you get them???? Is it really that hard to get bar work?

Cheers

FayenPaul
Ozzie Wannabies
Old Dec 9th 2003, 6:02 pm
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Bar Work in Ozzie

Originally posted by faye_gillan
Hi all,

We are at the start of our immigration process and have been watching the CH4 programme on Thursdays. A wee bit worried as I am planning to do anything till I get a permanent postition (in real estate, admin, sec, reception, sales) and bar work was one option.

After watching this CH4 programme someone stated that they need certificates for working in a bar????? what are these ?? how do you get them???? Is it really that hard to get bar work?

Cheers

FayenPaul
Ozzie Wannabies
I know of people who have done barwork without certificates in Oz (the missus for one). It helps to have experience of course but not having a certificate shouldn't stand in the way.

'Australians, bred for barwork. It's instinct!' - Al Murray
Old Dec 10th 2003, 10:40 am
FayenPaul

Cheers,

Feel a lot better know. I thought it was strange! I mean certificates for bar work? !?!?!?
Old Dec 10th 2003, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

Cheers,

Feel a lot better know. I thought it was strange! I mean certificates for bar work? !?!?!?
Actually it is in fact true that most places that serve alcohol like you to have a recognised certificate in hospitality. I believe the basic course is a few weeks and is done at college. Most pubs also like you to have a gaming room certificate and/or experience as well, because they are just glorified betting shops.

Unfortunately in Australia even the most trivial jobs sometimes require qualifications or licences. There are so many highly qualified people here who cannot get work that it seems the more pieces of paper you have, then the more chance you have at getting a job.

Here is the link to my local college's web page for the relevant certificate......... http://www.satac.edu.au/tafeweb/Sect...avBar=Section3

As for reception/admin/office work - be prepared to do everything from basic switchboard to MYOB accounting, general ledger, accounts receivable/payable, and have at least Certifcate III in Office Admin, plenty of recent relevant experience, and data entry skills of at least 12000 kph. There are practically no 'office type' jobs where you are required to have just general office skills. Employers look for staff who can do just about everything, so they can employ fewer people and still get the job done without having to pay higher award wages.

Last edited by wizzywozza; Dec 10th 2003 at 6:56 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 8:21 am
What's he asking?

Fuzzyness is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by wizzywozza

Unfortunately in Australia even the most trivial jobs sometimes require qualifications or licences. There are so many highly qualified people here who cannot get work that it seems the more pieces of paper you have, then the more chance you have at getting a job.
that really doesnt make much sense does it. i mean if australians cant get work, even menial work, why are they trying to encourage loads of migrants in. my ex g/f is from adelaide and she said the same thing about people getting jobs in ads. people with degrees were working in macdonalds as they were finding it so hard to get on the career ladder. madness if you ask me.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 8:30 am
FayenPaul

Thanks wizzywonga & fuzzyness,

This seems mental to me like! What a nightmare, I don't have a recognised qualification in administration although I have worked in administration for at least 8 years with two years working for a holiday company in the Canaria Islands (which may help on the tourism). I have worked in bars for almost the same length of time as part time in various places, I have never worked in a betting placing though?

I have references for all administration posts aswell as all bar posts? Would this help?

Would it be advisable to try and do a hospital course here in Aberdeen or should I wait till I get over there?.

Thanks - now I am worried again! Although I am willing to do anything to get the money rolling when we first get there.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Fuzzyness
that really doesnt make much sense does it. i mean if australians cant get work, even menial work, why are they trying to encourage loads of migrants in. my ex g/f is from adelaide and she said the same thing about people getting jobs in ads. people with degrees were working in macdonalds as they were finding it so hard to get on the career ladder. madness if you ask me.

All I know is that for a person like me who merely has a certificate in home based child care, and a wealth of UK experience in customer service, it has been nigh on impossible to get a job.

Over the last year I have made over 400 job applications - got a cleaning job eventually but lost that because the company exercised their right to terminate my employment with no reason as I had been there less than three months. This is something that commonly happens, particularly with the long term unemployed as if they find a job the employer can have a 3 month wage subsidy from the government - work it out!

I've just started a part time casual housekeeping job in a nursing home, but even there one of my colleagues is a fully qualified primary school teacher, and the other two have aged care qualifications!

There was a letter in the Adelaide Advertiser the other day from someone degree qualified, 24 years old - and has NEVER had a job despite continually applying.

You are right - it is madness.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 10:18 am
What's he asking?

Fuzzyness is an unknown quantity at this point

There was a letter in the Adelaide Advertiser the other day from someone degree qualified, 24 years old - and has NEVER had a job despite continually applying.
that really is appalling. i feel for that person. but i suppose it does depend on what degree they did. i mean a media studies degree in adelaide probably wouldnt be much use where as nursing or teaching may ahve been. i dont know i am just thinking out loud.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 12:15 pm
FayenPaul

Oh my god that is terrible! I have looked in to courses here in hospitality but they only do long term courses and I wouldn't have time now or money to do them. I am now looking in to boosting up my admin qualifications, i could probably do some courses that may help.

Where are you two heading for and what work are you hoping to do?

We are just at the stage of waiting to hear from TRA for my partners skills as a joiner. So fingers crossed at this point.

I would be willing to do courses when we get there so long as I can work to support us also.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 5:29 pm
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

Oh my god that is terrible! I have looked in to courses here in hospitality but they only do long term courses and I wouldn't have time now or money to do them. I am now looking in to boosting up my admin qualifications, i could probably do some courses that may help.

Where are you two heading for and what work are you hoping to do?

We are just at the stage of waiting to hear from TRA for my partners skills as a joiner. So fingers crossed at this point.

I would be willing to do courses when we get there so long as I can work to support us also.
Loads of backbackers survive in Oz with bits of work here and there and they don't all have certificates. If you're prepared to get out there, be positive, enthusiastic and ask, ask, ask you'll find work no worries.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Kentish Man
Loads of backbackers survive in Oz with bits of work here and there and they don't all have certificates. If you're prepared to get out there, be positive, enthusiastic and ask, ask, ask you'll find work no worries.

Been there - done that. Been an Aussie citizen for 11 years - it's precisely because of the transient backpacker workforce that the casual jobs are simply not there for the permanent residents looking for the same thing.

Seeing it from the other side of the world and relating casual work to what you know is just not the same as living and working here for the rest of your life.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 8:23 pm
AWOL

Been there - done that. Been an Aussie citizen for 11 years - it's precisely because of the transient backpacker workforce that the casual jobs are simply not there for the permanent residents looking for the same thing.

Seeing it from the other side of the world and relating casual work to what you know is just not the same as living and working here for the rest of your life.
True but Fayenpaul is only asking about a bit of bridging work before finding a permanent job. She can pretend to be a backpacker!
Old Dec 12th 2003, 10:43 am
FayenPaul

Cheers,

I know I am willing, enthusiastic, you name it I can be it! When we were travelling there last year we seen loads of signs up in bars, cafes, rest. etc for work so hopefully will find something.

We also seen loads of Real Estate Offices and I would hope to get into this in OZ as i have experience here in Estates (even though will be totally different there). I am also a qualified hairdresser so would even revert to that for a while if needs must! Hopefully we will have enough saved to keep us going for the first two or three months and we will be staying with family so won't have to worry about paying rent or anything straightaway.

I will beg, borrow, steal if I have too! x

wizzywozza - Cool Ozzie for 11 years where are you originally from? Would you ever come back to the UK? Where are you based and what do you do for work?
Old Dec 12th 2003, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Cheers,

I know I am willing, enthusiastic, you name it I can be it! When we were travelling there last year we seen loads of signs up in bars, cafes, rest. etc for work so hopefully will find something.

We also seen loads of Real Estate Offices and I would hope to get into this in OZ as i have experience here in Estates (even though will be totally different there). I am also a qualified hairdresser so would even revert to that for a while if needs must! Hopefully we will have enough saved to keep us going for the first two or three months and we will be staying with family so won't have to worry about paying rent or anything straightaway.

I will beg, borrow, steal if I have too! x

wizzywozza - Cool Ozzie for 11 years where are you originally from? Would you ever come back to the UK? Where are you based and what do you do for work?
Been in Oz since 1991 - from Littlehampton, West Sussex originally, work as a housekeeper in aged care home (part time - casual), used to work as a family day care provider, and recently as a housekeeper on the interstate trains.........went back over to the UK in 1999 for 3 weeks - that was enough to convince me I am now living in the right place, cos I had been very homesick for a long time.

Oh and hate to say this but you need a licence to work in real estate here..........have to look for some links for you about that!
Old Dec 12th 2003, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

M4rk is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont panic. Jobs are available - you sound like you have many oportunities available to you. From what we have seen in the last 6 months the tourism industry is now second to the building and real estate industry. Additional housing is being built in all subhurbs we have seen and the hous market bubble is still growing. Recent interenst rate increases still not causing it to busrt...

So look for the positive, you have skills in 2 prime areas, find yourself a friend / family over here as personal references go a long way to getting a job - many samll business post job adverts but already have someone lined up for the position. The persoanl introduction gets you in the door.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.