Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Bank account - can i open before reaching australia

Bank account - can i open before reaching australia

Old May 20th 2005, 5:14 am
Just Joined

sandydubes is on a distinguished road
Default Bank account - can i open before reaching australia

Can i open a bank account in Australia after getting my PR but before landing in Australia? Note that I am an Indian resident as of now. Thanks and best regards,

Sandy
Old May 20th 2005, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

madankumars is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bank account - can i open before reaching australia

Don't think you could do that, coz you need proof of local address when you open a bank account.

however it is quite easy to open an account in australia... all you have to do is satisfy the 100 point indentification check....

They don't make life difficult for you like it is here in the UK, where every bank teller seems to have their own criteria for opening an account and dont agree with each other... took me bl**dy 3 months to open an account in the UK and 3 days in australia :-)

Originally Posted by sandydubes
Can i open a bank account in Australia after getting my PR but before landing in Australia? Note that I am an Indian resident as of now. Thanks and best regards,

Sandy
Old May 20th 2005, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

tracyd has a spectacular aura abouttracyd has a spectacular aura abouttracyd has a spectacular aura about

Sandy
Not sure about India, but from the UK you can. Best thing to do is to contact the banks and ask about migrant banking. Might be worth trying www.westpac.com.au or Commonwealth Bank Australia (should be able to find their website using search engine, google etc).

Hope this helps

Tracy
Old May 30th 2005, 6:33 am
Just Joined

Gibbo99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sandy
The answer is yes, you can open the account, but you will need to turn up at your selected branch with full ID before you can actually operate it. The advantage is that all the background set-up can be ready for you (assuming you know what your address will be).

Best of luck.
Old May 30th 2005, 9:57 am
Wannabee Queenslander

badri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant future

Sandy
Hi SAndy

Yes you can open a bank account outside australia. Try anz.com.au

You have to send the filled in application you will get an account number where you can transfer the money. But you can withdraw only when you in australia.
All you have to do is show your passport with the visa on it

Thats it

Badri