Bad Debt

Old Apr 25th 2014, 8:04 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bad Debt

The OPs real problem is that he left Australia owing 10000 debt and has done nothing about it. He now needs to get police clearance from Australia to get a job elsewhere, and that is his dilemma, if he appleis fro police clearance he is making his current address available to them, and should there have been any sort of arrest warrant against him there he amy well activate it.
It's his own fault, running away from a debt like that is plain stupid, and he basically can never return there, and can't get a job anywhere that needs police clearance for fear of exposing his indebtedness.
A warning to others, DON'T DO IT, at least make some sort of attempt to pay off the debt, contact the people involved and arrange to make small but regular payments, and get any interest stopped from accruing. Most credit companies would be OK as long as you tell them, the repayment schedule may sound stupid, perhaps 10 or 20$ a month which would take 100+ years, but at least they are aware you are not wanting to defraud them and doing somethiing about it.
As to police involvement, they may already have sold the debt to a debt collection company, who will not have been able to find him, they then may well have taken the matter to court and got an injunction against him, and that is where the police record could come in.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 8:23 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
To suggest that credit card companies don't care about fraud or unpaid debt is one of the daftest things I have read in a long time.

Financial services companies like to make money and they certainly would care about anything that prevents them from doing this to the maximum.

My credit card company rings me if I dare to travel overseas and make a purchase or if I try to make a purchase eon line in a foreign currency. They have teams dedicated to detected and preventing fraud.
Mine used to ring me whenever I made a purchase abroad. When I got back to Aus I sent the card back and cancelled my account due to it costing me a fortune to answer the phone. I now have a card with a more sensible company that understands the words 'frequent international travel'.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 4:53 am
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Laughable some of the responses here.

Firstly it's not fraud and unless the OP admits it or the CC company can prove otherwise then it won't be treated as such.

Not paying an unsecured consumer debt (which this is) isn't a criminal offence.

The authorities aren't interested unless you owe a civil debt to the government i.e tax or fines and it won't show on his police clearance.

There's also a very high chance the debt doesn't legally exist anymore through statute of limitations law.

100% chance the credit card company sold the debt to a collection agency who will probably chase once the OP starts a financial profile in Australia. They can't do anything unless the OP makes a payment or acknowledges the debt in writing.

Let's not let facts get in the way of moral high ground ffs
Old Apr 26th 2014, 6:35 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perksy

Firstly it's not fraud and unless the OP admits it or the CC company can prove otherwise then it won't be treated as such.

The authorities aren't interested unless you owe a civil debt to the government i.e tax or fines and it won't show on his police clearance.

There's also a very high chance the debt doesn't legally exist anymore through statute of limitations law.

100% chance the credit card company sold the debt to a collection agency who will probably chase once the OP starts a financial profile in Australia. They can't do anything unless the OP makes a payment or acknowledges the debt in writing.

Spoilsport!
Old Apr 26th 2014, 10:52 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Is there such a thing as 'moral low ground'? Never hear much about that
Old Apr 26th 2014, 11:02 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Please cease and desist from these factual posts. They take away from the judgements of the armchair prosecutors out there in cyber court.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 11:16 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Please cease and desist from these factual posts. They take away from the judgements of the armchair prosecutors out there in cyber court.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 12:57 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

OK guys, you knew it was coming, all debt threads end the same way.....

The OP has plenty of info to work with, I just hope you haven't scared him away from the forum.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bad debt thread

Hi, I'm not trying to open a can of worms or go against the rules. I can appreciate why the other thread was closed.

However, as this question seems to come up fairly regularly I do think that the factual information provided will actually be quite helpful for people wondering similar thoughts if they are in the same position.

The fact of the matter is that international countries can and do chase debts, sometimes successfully. Although I don't have firsthand experience myself, I have a friend who this happened to and she thought she was clean and dry. I do think it's important to leave the factual information, and there are probably lots of people searching for this type of info however don't feel comfortable for whatever reason opening a thread, but they will search.

Forums are full of personal opinions. And this can sometimes get in the way of fact I can appreciate. Sometimes facts can be made alongside personal opinions that's just the way of any forum. Everyone is different.

I do think this information is important however, as it seems to be something that comes up regularly. Being in debt and running is never a good thing and I'm sure it causes lots of people hassle, sleepless nights and stress on them and their family so I personally think it's a good idea to leave these kind of threads up with some factual information so that people can search for this.

As mentioned not trying to create an argument just wanted to voice my opinion as the other one is closed.

Last edited by Still Game; Apr 26th 2014 at 4:46 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 4:53 pm
Home and Happy

Default Re: Bad debt thread

Originally Posted by Still Game
Hi, I'm not trying to open a can of worms or go against the rules. I can appreciate why the other thread was closed.

However, as this question seems to come up fairly regularly I do think that the factual information provided will actually be quite helpful for people wondering similar thoughts if they are in the same position.

The fact of the matter is that international countries can and do chase debts, sometimes successfully. Although I don't have firsthand experience myself, I have a friend who this happened to and she thought she was clean and dry. I do think it's important to leave the factual information, and there are probably lots of people searching for this type of info however don't feel comfortable for whatever reason opening a thread, but they will search.

Forums are full of personal opinions. And this can sometimes get in the way of fact I can appreciate. Sometimes facts can be made alongside personal opinions that's just the way of any forum. Everyone is different.

I do think this information is important however, as it seems to be something that comes up regularly. Being in debt and running is never a good thing and I'm sure it causes lots of people hassle, sleepless nights and stress on them and their family so I personally think it's a good idea to leave these kind of threads up with some factual information so that people can search for this.

As mentioned not trying to create an argument just wanted to voice my opinion as the other one is closed.
The other one was closed for the same reason that all the others get closed. Someone asks for a straight answer and they get people judging them and slinging mud. They also get a bit of useful info in with the mud slinging.

All the threads are still there and they all have the same info on them -posted by people like Perksy who have the facts and make no judgements.

What BE does not want however is new posters being driven away because of people making judgements on them.

This is being merged with the closed thread.

Last edited by Pollyana; Apr 26th 2014 at 5:03 pm.