Wikiposts

Baby questions

Old Nov 20th 2007, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of
Default Baby questions

I found out I was pregnant at the weekend!!!

We are validating our 136 visas in March next year. I know that we will need to sponsor the new baby for its own visa once it arrives, however I have 2 questions (until I think of some more!):

1. How long do these visas take to be granted?

2. Having validated before the birth (and so therefore being permanent residents) should the child have any any medical problems (Heaven forbid!) will there be any issues in gaining this visa?

Thanks!

Adi
Old Nov 20th 2007, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

iwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to all
Default Re: Baby questions

Originally Posted by Iwannabethere

We are validating our 136 visas in March next year. I know that we will need to sponsor the new baby for its own visa once it arrives, however I have 2 questions (until I think of some more!):

2. Having validated before the birth (and so therefore being permanent residents) should the child have any any medical problems (Heaven forbid!) will there be any issues in gaining this visa?

Thanks!

Adi
Hi Adi
I think you would be better pm george lombard for this question, he will give you the best advise on this matter...............
Old Nov 20th 2007, 6:42 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

congratulations are in order I read some place that a child born in Australia to permanent residents automatically gets citizenship, so you may want to think of moving earlier and not hassle with visas. You should also get a chuck of cash from the government as a b'day present for your new baby. But do check with a professional, I have been wrong before

One other thing - if Oz is anything like US of A in this regard - the hospitals in the wonderland charge arm and leg for the childbirth if, for example, private insurance decides to treat pregnancy as a "pre-existing condition", i.e. policy taken while being pregnant would not necessarily cover the cost of having a baby.

Best of luck!
NJ
Old Nov 20th 2007, 7:05 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newjersey
congratulations are in order I read some place that a child born in Australia to permanent residents automatically gets citizenship, so you may want to think of moving earlier and not hassle with visas. You should also get a chuck of cash from the government as a b'day present for your new baby. But do check with a professional, I have been wrong before

One other thing - if Oz is anything like US of A in this regard - the hospitals in the wonderland charge arm and leg for the childbirth if, for example, private insurance decides to treat pregnancy as a "pre-existing condition", i.e. policy taken while being pregnant would not necessarily cover the cost of having a baby.

Best of luck!
NJ
As a permanent resident of Australia you will be entitled to Medicare. Should you choose to have your baby in a private hospital you will either have to have private cover or pay yourself. Medicare covers your pregnancy and birth in a public hospital.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

suesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks!

Adi
Sorry i cant answer your qs just wanted to send my congrats on the pregnancy

Suexx
Old Nov 20th 2007, 7:51 pm
Crazy Finn

Kaitlin is just really niceKaitlin is just really niceKaitlin is just really niceKaitlin is just really niceKaitlin is just really niceKaitlin is just really niceKaitlin is just really niceKaitlin is just really niceKaitlin is just really nice

Congratulations!!

I read a lot about this also when I found out that I am pregnant and as far as I understod if the baby is born during the processing of your visa you can simply add her/him to visa by sending information and birth certificate to your co, but since you already have a visa I would also just quickly fly and settle in Australia before the baby is born =) This way he/she is automatically Australian passport and all. (a friend of ours just had their baby in Australia half a year ago).

If you have PR as I understod you are entitled to baby bonus (about 5000 $) if you apply within 27 weeks after the baby is born. More info you can find from Centrelink pages. http://www.centrelink.gov.au/

I hope this was of some assistance to you and all the best with the pregnancy!!

Kaitlin very pregnant herself too, but having the baby here in Finland first =)
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

Thanks for the replies so far! Unfortunately there is no possible way we can stay before bubs is born. Also my father is unable to fly for medical reasons and so if we were to go he would not be able to see and hold his new grandchild and I would never do that to a grandparent!

Congrats yourself Kaitlin! And thanks for the baby bonus info. We may be able to get there in time to claim it.

Adi
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:38 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Just make sure you validate your visas then, the DIAC's deadline is fairly non-negotiable. You may consider a short trip before you are due, otherwise you may get stuck with no visa for the new baby (consider at least the LCU wait, which recently was as long as 8-10 weeks!) and yours not being validated could go up in a puff of smoke.
NJ
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:47 pm
Crazy Finn

Kaitlin is just really niceKaitlin is just really niceKaitlin is just really niceKaitlin is just really niceKaitlin is just really niceKaitlin is just really niceKaitlin is just really niceKaitlin is just really niceKaitlin is just really nice

Thanks for the replies so far! Unfortunately there is no possible way we can stay before bubs is born. Also my father is unable to fly for medical reasons and so if we were to go he would not be able to see and hold his new grandchild and I would never do that to a grandparent!

Congrats yourself Kaitlin! And thanks for the baby bonus info. We may be able to get there in time to claim it.

Adi
Thanks! Getting bigger and bigger everyday

Sorry for your father and very understandable that you want to stay until the baby is born.

Hopefully DIAC can help you with this one and hopefully it won't take a long time to process the new visa!

K
Old Nov 21st 2007, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by newjersey
Just make sure you validate your visas then, the DIAC's deadline is fairly non-negotiable. You may consider a short trip before you are due, otherwise you may get stuck with no visa for the new baby (consider at least the LCU wait, which recently was as long as 8-10 weeks!) and yours not being validated could go up in a puff of smoke.
NJ
Validating in March (will be 5 months preggers by then) so that shouldn't be a problem. Have to validate by 27th April anyway. All booked and non-refundable so set in stone. We had planned to make the permanent move in the September/October as this is the earliest we can do but that's all change now ! So we will be PR, just bubs to sort out!
Old Nov 21st 2007, 2:12 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

1. Not long in London, normally. But there is always the chance you might be asked to provide information on how you intend to fulfil your sponsorship obligations.

2. Yes, this could still pose problems if child is born outside Australia (and hence not an Australian citizen). Even though there is scope for health waiver on the child visa, it does not cover all risks.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for this, JAJ! Clear and to the point as usual!