Australian working hours

Old Sep 24th 2002, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Australian working hours

Originally posted by mashiraz:
Is this experience valid for all fields of work or mainly IT.
I'm not IT and a reason for going to Australia is to have a better work/home life balance. Will I get it in a 'normal' large australian company in an office environment?

Mash....

My experience is in IT however, I do believe that working hours are on average longer over all fields in Australia than they are in Europe, just as number of annual leave days is usually less.

Also I just think the culture is different, the places I have worked here in the UK are perfectly Ok with a 9:30am start, but in Australia in most places you will get funny looks if you arrive after 8:30am or leave before 5:30pm. Of course hours in the office doesn't necessarily translate to hours worked though which is not somthing that is easy to measure.
Old Sep 24th 2002, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope that this working 'ethic' isnt across the board. I am going to Australia to try and have more time with my family not less.
Can anyone tell me what the hours are like for people in trades such as carpentry? I know when my husband temped in Sydney he earnt a packet (site allowance, height allowance, travel etc on top of wages), and worked no longer than he does here.

Thanks
Old Sep 24th 2002, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by NickyTurner:
I hope that this working 'ethic' isnt across the board. I am going to Australia to try and have more time with my family not less.
Can anyone tell me what the hours are like for people in trades such as carpentry? I know when my husband temped in Sydney he earnt a packet (site allowance, height allowance, travel etc on top of wages), and worked no longer than he does here.

Thanks
A friend of mine back in Melbourne is a plumber by trade and he usually starts work at 7am and finishes between 5-6pm, however he does it because the money for trades isn't good in Austalia. Not like London where I know a brick-layer who sometimes take home £200/day cash!
Old Sep 24th 2002, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks
By the way, unfortuantely the housing boom is over in Australian cities and there is fears of a glut therfore work is going to start getting thin on the ground for tradies.
Old Sep 24th 2002, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh sooper. Cant wait to go now. No work, crap hours, crap pay, too hot, termites that eat your house, crime, drugs, it just keeps getting better. Am i making the worst decision of my life???

Please resist the temptation PB.
Old Sep 24th 2002, 6:43 pm
Robert Edwards

"The Housing Boom is over in Australia" is a sweeping and inaccurate
statement, current housing new starts are still very high indeed, although
the market will probably settle a little the Federal Government have
embarked on a process to maintain high growth in the Housing/Building
sector.

"Devlin" wrote in message
news:423867.1032881387@britishexpats-
.com
    > By the way, unfortuantely the housing boom is over in Australian cities
    > and there is fears of a glut therfore work is going to start getting
    > thin on the ground for tradies.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 24th 2002, 6:49 pm
Robert Edwards

With the introduction of GST and tidying up of the tax system, it is much
more difficult to do "cash" jobs in Australia now, except more the
maintenance jobs for the householder, but as Nicky says other allowances on
major building sites tend to give tradies a good income. I do not know any
tradies (and I employ quite a few on sub contract basis) that work 7 am to 5
or 6 pm and I live in the highest housing and population growth market in
Australia. Most tradies are happy to start at 7 and finish at 4. As for
taking home "some many pound a day in UK" everything is relative to where
you are and where you want to be isn't it. In general cost of living in
Australia is 70% of living in UK (official figures) but the lifestyle here
costs next to nothing.

Rob Edwards
www.australianaustralia.com.au

"Devlin" wrote in message
news:423865.1032881000@britishexpats-
.com
    > Originally posted by NickyTurner:
    > > I hope that this working 'ethic' isnt across the board. I am going to
    > > Australia to try and have more time with my family not less.
    > > Can anyone tell me what the hours are like for people in trades such
    > > as carpentry? I know when my husband temped in Sydney he earnt a
    > > packet (site allowance, height allowance, travel etc on top of wages),
    > > and worked no longer than he does here.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > A friend of mine back in Melbourne is a plumber by trade and he usually
    > starts work at 7am and finishes between 5-6pm, however he does it
    > because the money for trades isn't good in Austalia. Not like London
    > where I know a brick-layer who sometimes take home £200/day cash!
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 24th 2002, 7:06 pm
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice

Originally posted by Devlin:

By the way, unfortuantely the housing boom is over in Australian cities and there is fears of a glut therfore work is going to start getting thin on the ground for tradies.
Can I ask whay your source of information is?.
I do find it funny how (& i 'm accusing no-one here )trades people are often looked down upon (first hand experience )from office wallers,yet we earn more,and put up with less shite than them.If a jobs crap,you just move on (& you do the most imaginative bit of revenge possible),most trades will be in demand long after I'm gone.However,if you have inside info of an Ozzie recession,maybe you should give me tips on a trade change!!

BB
Old Sep 24th 2002, 11:37 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Oh sooper. Cant wait to go now. No work, crap hours, crap pay, too hot, termites that eat your house, crime, drugs, it just keeps getting better. Am i making the worst decision of my life???

Please resist the temptation PB.
Sorry Nicky cannot, no you are not I am sure .Come here with low expectations and you will not be let down , Australia has down sides just like UK better you know what they are.Good Luck to you and Family
Old Sep 24th 2002, 11:40 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

In general cost of living in
Australia is 70% of living in UK (official figures) but the lifestyle here
costs next to nothing.

Rob Edwards
What Lifeslye costs next to nothing what bollocks?there is a cost to everything , to live anywhere costs.On the same thought a poor man has the same lifestyle as a rich man?Forgot to say wages here are half that of UK for many .

Last edited by pommie bastard; Sep 25th 2002 at 6:09 am.
Old Sep 25th 2002, 1:51 am
Banned

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by Robert Edwards:
"The Housing Boom is over in Australia" is a sweeping and inaccurate
statement, current housing new starts are still very high indeed, although
the market will probably settle a little the Federal Government have
embarked on a process to maintain high growth in the Housing/Building
sector.

SKILLED vacancies fell in September but remain higher than they were this time last year, figures issued have shown.

The Department of Employment and Workplace Relations (DEWR) said its Skilled Vacancies Index dropped by 0.6 per cent in September to 113.1 points.

Annually, skilled vacancies were up 8.5 per cent, DEWR said.

Vacancies for professionals fell by 3.3 per cent while vacancies for associate professionals dipped 1.6 per cent.

Trades vacancies grew by 2.3 per cent, DEWR said.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Sep 25th 2002 at 2:48 am.
Old Sep 25th 2002, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

Tatiana is an unknown quantity at this point

Home bubble burst to hurt: CBA
Old Sep 25th 2002, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

jery_wang is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Tatiana:
Home bubble burst to hurt: CBA
Just some information from other country like Singapore.

The price of public housing in Singapore was at peak in 1996, just before the financial crisis. It has dropped 40% ever since. The private property dropped even more (I don't have the figure). Almost 70% - 80% of total dwelling comes from public housing.

The nice part, you see two small peak like a camel hump, the last drop was when US went into recession recently (shares plunge). And now, the price is even lower than the bottom after the financial crisis.

Property bubbles when it burst, it burst very fast. Looking at the chart, within the span of two years, it has reached 40% lower. Many people were suddenly poor since banks do not want to risk of having mortgage value which is higher than the market value of the house. Bank will force the house owner to just sell it as fast as possible. Otherwise, they top the difference in mortgage value and the market value. So if you take mortgage $400,000 and your house suddenly drops to $300,000, you have to top up $100,000 in cash! Or sell your house at whatever price to avoid further losses.
Attached Thumbnails Australian working hours-housingprice.gif  
Old Sep 25th 2002, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

willywh3r3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australian working hours + Housing Price

Where did you get the data?

Anyone has any idea about the house price index for Australia (Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, etc.)?

Originally posted by jery_wang:

Just some information from other country like Singapore.

The price of public housing in Singapore was at peak in 1996, just before the financial crisis. It has dropped 40% ever since. The private property dropped even more (I don't have the figure). Almost 70% - 80% of total dwelling comes from public housing.

The nice part, you see two small peak like a camel hump, the last drop was when US went into recession recently (shares plunge). And now, the price is even lower than the bottom after the financial crisis.

Property bubbles when it burst, it burst very fast. Looking at the chart, within the span of two years, it has reached 40% lower. Many people were suddenly poor since banks do not want to risk of having mortgage value which is higher than the market value of the house. Bank will force the house owner to just sell it as fast as possible. Otherwise, they top the difference in mortgage value and the market value. So if you take mortgage $400,000 and your house suddenly drops to $300,000, you have to top up $100,000 in cash! Or sell your house at whatever price to avoid further losses.
Old Sep 25th 2002, 6:06 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of
Default Re: Australian working hours + Housing Price

Originally posted by willywh3r3:
Where did you get the data?

Anyone has any idea about the house price index for Australia (Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, etc.)?

I have'nt been through in detail but sometimes with my work we need economic/government statistics and we use this website:
http://www.abs.gov.au/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.